Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 52)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Gamers tend to say the GameCube was a failure, it wasn't.
I tend do agree, though I usually hear it from people who owned the GameCube exclusively. I owned a PS2 primarily, so I didn't rely on the GameCube very heavily for games.

Oddly, though, I barely used it – I can barely remember anything i played on it other than Animal Crossing, Wind Waker, and Mario Golf. So I may not be a very reliable narrator on that front.

Also, it got slaughtered in sales, and in that regard was an utter failure.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2013, 01:39 PM

Gamers tend to say the GameCube was a failure, it wasn't. It's probably the best gaming console i've owned. It launched with a Mario title and had compelling exclusives (Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime, RE4,etc...). The WiiU however, has none of those aspects going for it.
This goes back (way back) to our older arguments about how to define a game console as a success or failure. If we go on a strictly profit and sales-number metric then yes, the GC was a monumental failure and the Wii was a massive success. I think otherwise. The GC was the last console Nintendo made that was worth buying from a gamer like myself's standpoint. Metroid Prime is one of my favorite FPSes of all time, despite the controller being a bit funky in the a/b/x/y button standpoint.

It seems over time you have come around to us "hardcore gamers" perspective. That Nintendo largely relied on nostalgia and little children/wives to sell their Wii system...also two demographics that won't quickly upgrade when the next one comes out.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2013, 01:41 PM

Honestly at this rate, I see Nintendo having to launch a new console by 2016.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2013, 01:44 PM

My sister bought a Wii, but she mostly only uses it for Hulu/Netflix now....not in good HD of course. She's going to get a Roku3 and I told her I would like to borrow her Wii so I can play Skyward Sword, which is the only game in the entire run of the Wii I was jealous I couldn't play.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2013, 02:11 PM

It launched with a Mario title and (…)
Luigi's Mansion was awesome but it doesn't qualify as a Mario title.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It seems over time you have come around to us "hardcore gamers" perspective.
I do not consider myself a "hardcore gamer" by any stretch of the imagination. I have never played a Final Fantasy, GTA(exception being the DS China Town thing for a few days), Madden, modern CoD, BattleField, etc.... nor do I have any interest in those 'traditional gamer games'. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I just don't get excited for those products. (Mind you...nor do i get excited for WiiFit, Dance Dance, Guitar Hero, LBP, etc).

I'm not sure what bucket i'd fall into. I'm a single player gamer and atmosphere and spit&polish go a long way to getting my attention (one example being, the condensation/reflection/rain drops on Samus' visor from Metroid Prime, which incidentally is one of my favorite games as well).

GameCube games.... I got one for Rouge Squadron. It introduced me to Metroid(Prime I & II), Zelda (Ocarina of Time and WindWaker), RE4, Rebel Strike, Eternal Darkness. Those were all exclusives. I also had a few multi platform games like the Prince of Persia games. It served me well. In fact I just picked up Beyond Good & Evil which I hope to play when I get my hands on my GCN . (And yes I know there's an HD version for DL on PSN).

My favorite games since 2002..... Metroid Prime and Shadow of the Colossus.

I thought Nintendo's execution with the Wii was near perfect for the industry. That's what pi**es me off about how they released the WiiU. And with the Wii, they did release some pretty compelling software (Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, MP3, and it was fun playing the old NES/GEN/SNES games using the virtual console after a long time). But it dried up after 2010 IMHO. You'd think they would have been making a AAA launch title for their next console(WiiU), and we get Nintendo Land and a rehashed 2.5D Mario.

My annoyance is not anti-Nintendo rhetoric, it's frustration at their p*ss-poor execution of releasing a console after the success they had with the Wii. The fact that they insist on wasting resources & time on such stupid side projects just baffles me as well. They could have had a year's head start and really laid te foundation for this generation, yet they squandered it. Forget the PS4/Durango.... come the holiday season, the Wii U will be competing with a discounted PS3 and XB360 and their massive libraries of cheaper games.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 3, 2013, 04:04 AM

MS register several domains for 'Xbox Fusion' - Microsoft snags domains for 'Xbox Fusion' | Joystiq

So the next Xbox might be called Fusion, the domains were registered in February, and just got found by fusible.com. Xbox Fusion doesn't sound like the console name to me though, more like a service, maybe a crossover between Xbox and desktop/website/Windows phone/Facebook/Twitter/toaster.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
May 3, 2013, 05:10 AM

Other rumors have the new Xbox as "Xbox Infinity". Cue the Marathon Infinity comparisons.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 3, 2013, 06:02 AM

I've heard the Infinity rumour too, explained as tying in with Windows 8, figure 8 on its side is ∞

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 09:09 AM

I heard credible rumors on both, couldn't decide and posted neither. I'm more partial to Infinity. Isn't Fusion a razor blade?

P
May 3, 2013, 09:46 AM

They're both terms that are so overused that they're pointless. That's what I have against both of them: you can't just say "the fusion" or "the infinity", because the terms are so weak - you have to say "Xbox Infinity" or whatever. That may be the point - if MS considers the Xbox brand strong enough that they want to make sure it is included, they could pick a term like that rather than a more specific like "360" - but especially "infinity" seems like too long a word, and hard to follow in 2020 or whenever it's time to refresh again.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 09:48 AM

ANyone see the new vids for GTA V? They were on the XBOX dashboard. Looks really good. The hillbilly also looks to be hilarious.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
They're both terms that are so overused that they're pointless. That's what I have against both of them: you can't just say "the fusion" or "the infinity", because the terms are so weak - you have to say "Xbox Infinity" or whatever. That may be the point - if MS considers the Xbox brand strong enough that they want to make sure it is included, they could pick a term like that rather than a more specific like "360" - but especially "infinity" seems like too long a word, and hard to follow in 2020 or whenever it's time to refresh again.
ACtually there's the Ford Fusion, too.

What else in god's name does Infinity refer to in your day-today life. Seems like it'd be obvious over here.

P
May 3, 2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
ACtually there's the Ford Fusion, too.

What else in god's name does Infinity refer to in your day-today life. Seems like it'd be obvious over here.
Infiniti is also a car (you can't hear the spelling difference). There are a lot of lesser-known things named simply Infinity (any spelling), and many more that use it as an addition to another brand.

I'm just comparing to other things that MS has given proper names. Can you think of another thing named Vista or Outlook? The only obvious terms are Word and Office, both of which were named three frigging decades ago and both of which are generally referred to with the prefix MS.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 10:20 AM

Forgot about the car.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 3, 2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Other rumors have the new Xbox as "Xbox Infinity". Cue the Marathon Infinity comparisons.
Makes sense, with HALO being an exclusive there may be a HALO Infinity Xbox.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 11:19 AM

What do you guys reckon will be the flagship exclusive launch title for the PS4/XB3?

Its strange that Microsoft won't have Halo (or will they?) I dont even remember what Sony had for the PS3 (Motorstorm?).

I guess 'Knack' might be the one for the PS4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 11:22 AM

The Last Guardian.

Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 11:26 AM

This rumor popped up again so I thought I'd post it:

Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console, offering a standalone version for $499 and then a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.
By the way, I did screw up one thing: The $299 version of Xbox v.Next will come with a $15/mo XBLG subscription, not $10. Sorry about that.
@thurrott yup, and that sub includes family.
Ugh, do not want either.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 11:27 AM

The Last Guardian.

Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 11:29 AM

Whoops, collateral damage. That was aimed at Jawbone.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 11:54 AM

Its strange that Microsoft won't have Halo (or will they?)
Halo 3 wasn't released until a year after the 360 hit the stores. The launch titles for the 360 were pretty weak.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 3, 2013, 11:58 AM

Its strange that Microsoft won't have Halo (or will they?)
I'm not sure what you mean. They OWN HALO. 343i (343 Industries) makes HALO now, which is OWNED by Microsoft.

343i will be delivering a HALO 5 and 6. 343i has promised a new trilogy for HALO which started at HALO 4.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Halo 3 wasn't released until a year after the 360 hit the stores. The launch titles for the 360 were pretty weak.
I couldn't name one. PGR3?

The one advantage this gen has is thanks to the proliferation of online multiplayer, known multiplat titles might move a few extra copies for the graphics/power whores (The difference is BF4 player count strikes me as the biggest reason anyone might upgrade).

Edit: But BF3 ain't Call of Duty (See Activity charts)

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 3, 2013, 12:03 PM

Oh, is that what Jawbone meant, a HALO delivery for the new XBOX release? Yeah, I don't think HALO 5 is likely to come out this year. Although, the when I was on HALO this weekend, the playlists were looking pretty empty... they could use something to bring back players...
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister

GTA V might also be a good reason to upgrade. IV is still in the Top 10, somehow.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Oh, is that what Jawbone meant
You really need to work on your reading skills.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 12:10 PM

I couldn't name one. PGR3?
If I recall they were PGR3 (best of the launch), Kameo (meh), Call of Duty 3 (crap) and I think Perfect Dark Zero (sucked).

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 01:34 PM

For Jawbone
The PA Report - How a clever player with a “useless” item almost took down EVE Online’s entire economy

One player went to work on gaming the system.

“One of our players found an item on the market that cost 1 ISK [ISK is one of EVE Online’s virtual currencies], nobody used it, and he basically bought all of them, tons and tons of them,” Lander explained.

“He put them back on the market for a hundred ISK, or more, and then one on the market for a billion ISK. He then buys the item for a billion ISK. He’s now moved the average price of that item from one to around half a billion,” he continued. “That is now the average price of that item on the market. He then puts that completely worthless item on a ship, and gets his friend to blow him up.”

The ship contained that “useless” item, but the game thought it was worth half a billion ISK. “You get loads of loyalty points, and you cash those in for something good. He completely manipulated the market, and it started having this massive effect on our economy,” Lander said.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 01:45 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. They OWN HALO. 343i (343 Industries) makes HALO now, which is OWNED by Microsoft.

343i will be delivering a HALO 5 and 6. 343i has promised a new trilogy for HALO which started at HALO 4.
Oh, I didnt know that the 360 didnt launch with Halo. I thought MasterChief was like their Mario and launched with their two systems. I remember reading about their divorce with Bungie, and didn't know they retained the rights to the property.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 01:48 PM

Whoops, collateral damage. That was aimed at Jawbone.
Just thinking about it..... I wonder if that game has been on development longer than the PS3's GT? I wouldn't blame Sony if they wanted to cut their losses and pull the plug on this project. It seems like it was a badly managed project (maybe the expectations were way out of touch with reality).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 01:48 PM

Oh, I didnt know that the 360 didnt launch with Halo. I thought MasterChief was like their Mario and launched with their two systems. I remember reading about their divorce with Bungie, and didn't know they retained the rights to the property.
Yeah, when was the last Nintendo system to launch with Mario? N64?

P
May 3, 2013, 02:08 PM

Yes, but the headliner launch title was supposed to be Oblivion until that was delayed right before the launch. MS understands the value of good launch titles.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 02:22 PM

Yeah, when was the last Nintendo system to launch with Mario? N64?
The WiiU launched with a Mario game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2013, 02:37 PM

The WiiU launched with a Mario game.
A, but the?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2013, 10:27 AM

Anybody had a go on Blood Dragon, the Far Cry 3 thingy?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2013, 05:47 PM

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 4, 2013, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
The neon light bowling game of gaming? I watched Achievement Hunter's "Let's Play" of it. Looked colourful!

Interesting that it's a standalone game.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2013, 11:50 AM

The neon light bowling game of gaming? I watched Achievement Hunter's "Let's Play" of it. Looked colourful!

Interesting that it's a standalone game.
Cheap as well. Wonder how long it lasts.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I think it's in my future.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2013, 08:57 AM

So anybody see the Game Dev Tycoon game? Seen a trio of videos on Sips' Yogscast channel, and it has some allure. Of course some of that allure is the general "I could do that better feeling" which culminated around 6 am this morning when I downloaded the demo while fighting a bout of insomnia.

I ended up going into Year 4 with 2.5 million and back to back 9+ rated titles. Which kind of kills my desire to outright buy the game. I haven't mastered it, but damn close for a first try having watched about an hour and half of gameplay.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2013, 01:44 PM

Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn’t | Ars Technica

According to an internal Microsoft e-mail sent to all full-time employees working on the next Xbox, "Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet." It continues, "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."
How far this offline support will extend still isn't clear. It could take the form of a fully offline mode akin to that on the Xbox 360 (insert optical disc, install game, play, all without an Internet connection) or it could be more like Steam (install and activate online but enable subsequent offline play once this has been done).

While one could argue that "installing a game" is one of the "scenarios" that gamers "expect to work" when offline, a more Steam-like approach would be consistent with rumors that the next Xbox will use its Internet connection to block installation of secondhand games.

Sony exec: Developers can block PS4’s Share button functions | Ars Technica

In an interview with Japan's 4Gamer (which was translated by Edge), Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida mentioned that the Share button can be disabled by developers that don't want certain parts of the game to be captured.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 10:05 AM

The Walt Disney Company and EA Announce Multi-Year Star Wars Games Agreement | EA Press Room
So Disney kills off LucasArt and then hands the keys to EA. That's gotta hurt.

EA and Disney Team Up on New Star Wars Games - EA News

The EA Studios that will develop these games are some of the most innovative and popular creative teams in the world, and include DICE and Visceral, in addition to the BioWare team, which is already developing for the Star Wars franchise.
Star Wars: Battlefrontfield feels like a guarantee, now.

Overall though, is it me or has Disney really doubled down on trying to milk everything? Did their stock price die a few years ago or something? This feels about as all-out as they can go.

Related:

No Star Wars for you, Wii U, I guess. NeoGAF notes that Frostbite 2 somehow runs on the PS360, but somehow it doesn't run on the Wii Us slightly beefier hardware? Likely scapegoat.

---

Random question: Does anyone get Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs confused? Also, one of these is coming to PS Plus for free.

---

Original SimCity creator calls EA’s server problems “inexcusable” | Ars Technica

. "I could have predicted—I kind of did predict there'd be a big backlash about the DRM stuff. It's a good game; I enjoy playing it a lot... [but] that was basically inexcusable, that you charge somebody $60 for a game and they can't play it. I can understand the outrage. If I was a consumer buying the game and that happened to me, I'd feel the same."
But Wright seem a bit nonplussed by the argument that a persistent online connection was absolutely necessary to support gameplay in a game like SimCity. "I think people care if it doesn't work," he said. "If you can't play it on planes, stuff like that... I think there are some very valid concerns about it. Also there's a perception; I don't expect to play World of Warcraft on the airplane, because my perception is it has to be on the 'Net. SimCity was in this very uncomfortable space, like the uncanny valley, almost; [it was caught] between 'was it a single-player game or was it a multiplayer game?'"
Related:

Maxis Unveils The Sims 4 - EA News

The Sims Hub � EA Officially confirms The Sims 4

The Sims 4 celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience.
Posted because I never would have bet on an off-line mode.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 7, 2013, 01:03 PM

Random question: Does anyone get Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs confused? Also, one of these is coming to PS Plus for free.
Random Answer: No. I've played Sleeping Dogs. Never played Watch Dogs.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2013, 01:05 PM

That's cheating

P
May 7, 2013, 04:17 PM

Overall though, is it me or has Disney really doubled down on trying to milk everything? Did their stock price die a few years ago or something? This feels about as all-out as they can go.
Signing a framework agreement doesn't mean three new games before the end of the year, but...

I think that they saw Mass Effect. If you license the property to EA, they will make a Star Wars game and try to make it as good as they can. If you don't license it to anyone, there will be a void in the market and someone will make a space-themed game of the same type anyway - e.g. Mass Effect, which could easily have been another KOTOR. Dragon Age is basically the same reaction to not having the D&D license.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 7, 2013, 04:35 PM

Talking about Star Wars Battlefield, when's Modern Warfare 4 coming out? I don't think I've seen a trailer, yet.

Heck, I've already seen an Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag trailer.
MacBook Pro

P
May 8, 2013, 05:07 AM

Talking about Star Wars Battlefield, when's Modern Warfare 4 coming out? I don't think I've seen a trailer, yet.

Heck, I've already seen an Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag trailer.
It isn't. The reanimated corpse of Infinity Ward is instead putting out something called Call of Duty: Ghosts.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2013, 10:06 AM

EA layoffs totaled 10 percent of staff - GameSpot.com
At the end of 2012, EA employed around 9,370 people across the world. A ten percent staff reduction would mean the company's total headcount now stands at around 8,400 developers.

EA has yet to detail which teams were impacted and a company representative was not immediately available to comment.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2013, 12:20 PM

EA Registers Battlefield 13 – 20 Domains. But Who Got 21? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
For some perspective, if EA were to release them annually after this year, they would use the first of these domains in 2022.

Forum Links
Forum Rules