Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad VGA Cable - TV Not Showing Full Screen

iPad VGA Cable - TV Not Showing Full Screen
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 01:42 PM

I've got a little dilemma here. I got the VGA cable for iPad the other day, connected it to my HDTV and it worked, technically.

The issue I'm having is the video that is showing on my TV is not full screen. Its got black bars on top and bottom (normal for widescreen videos), but also on the left and right. Double tapping on the video on the iPad merely increases the screen to fill the top and bottom, but left and right get cut off on my TV.

I tried doing some fudging with the settings on my TV, but nothing seemed to help. Anyone know what I need to do to remedy this? Video looks great other than the whole not being full size thing.

It could be my HDTV, which is an HP brand TV. Not the latest greatest, and probably not all that great in supporting things like this (but does have a VGA port). But I wanted to make sure its not something I'm missing.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2010, 01:47 PM

HDTV resolution issues can be tricky for full computers, let alone iPads. I doubt there's a way to control the resolution output from the iPad like you can in Mac OS X or Windows, but if there were that would be the thing to try. Does the iPad or its VGA adapter give you any clues about what resolutions it supports?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 02:02 PM

Not that I can tell. In the settings on the iPad you can choose "Widescreen" (On or Off), and "TV Signal" (NTSC or PAL). I have Widescreen set to On and TV Signal set to NTSC.

The VGA adapter is just a cable. No switches or anything. No documentation either.

I recall this being an issue when I was trying a laptop on the same TV, and I believe I just did an "autosync" (IIRC) on my TV and it popped to full screen. But it doesn't seem to be working this time around.

-Q-
May 18, 2010, 03:14 PM

Does the TV have an "overscan" option? When setting up my mini to show video on the HDTV, I had to muck around with the TV's built-in overscan to get rid of the black bars on the left/right. It was conflicting with OS X's built-in overscan options.

As a quick test, I plugged the iPad into my Dell monitor (HD resolution, 1920x1080) and didn't see the black bars on the left/right, just on the top and bottom for the widescreen content. Keynotes were full screen, however.

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 03:36 PM

I'm going to have to mess with my TV settings tonight, and I will look for that option. Thanks for the info! Sounds like its what is going on here.

I've noticed that my TV doesn't really have many options for these sorts of things. Damn HP software. Probably get a little more mainstream brand TV next time.

Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 11:14 PM

Bummer, but it looks like my TV won't play nice with this setup. I can get it to work with a Macbook though. I blame HP!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2010, 01:13 AM

If my projector is 1024x768, will it work perfectly?

Forum Links
Forum Rules