Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Newton eMate 300 worth the money?

Apple Newton eMate 300 worth the money?
fivminwalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2004, 12:03 AM

I am thinking about buying an Apple Newton eMate 300. I have no experience with this device at all and I was wondering if anyone could give me some useful information concerning this machine. I am looking for something simple to do school work on so I do not get distracted. Is it worth the money, how much should I spend, how well does it perform, is it compatible with my new 15" iMac? Thanks in advance!

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2004, 01:08 AM

For work I don't think it is worth it. It is worth just for the collecting part of it.

The problem will be getting it to work with printers.

Get a old laptop if you have to.

"If it's broke, you choke."

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 13, 2004, 02:21 AM

It's not compatible with any recent Mac. I am pretty sure that the connection software became incompatible long before Mac OS 9, and there is none for OS X.

tooki

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 02:46 PM

I had an MP2100 for a while, there's some cool third-party (free) Newton Syncing software for OS X. The eMate is a cool machine with ridiculously good battery life. I had one several years back and really liked it. But it's not good for anything besides word processing and PIM, because the processor is sloowww.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 02:49 PM

Hell, I am getting one just to put on the shelf and admire.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 13, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
I had an MP2100 for a while, there's some cool third-party (free) Newton Syncing software for OS X.
Oh sweet, I hadn't heard about that.

tooki

fivminwalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2004, 08:43 PM

Thanks guys... It is a cool machine. I also like the way it looks. And I understand that there are not many left. I believe the only thing that would be done on it is word-processing and other pim stuff. I think that my little brother would mainly use it for school if I went out and bought it, he has a hard time concentrating on schoolwork when he is on the computer. Does any one know where I can get one? I looked on ebay but most of them are beat up badly and missing parts like the power cord and/or the battery. What other "stuff" can it do and how would I take the data and move it to my iMac?

va3uxb
Apr 13, 2004, 08:47 PM

I have both an MP2100 and an eMate 300. The original Apple connection software Newton Connection Utility works in Classic under Panther; I just fire up Classic, pop my wavelan card in my newton, and I can backup my newton, install software, etc. wirelessly.

I don't use the eMate much, but my MP2100 is my one and only PDA, I use it daily.

p.s. there's a whole newton community out there on NewtonTalk:
www.newtontalk.net

and a comprehensive and up to date FAQ at:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

and my own small contributions at:
www.felesmagus.com/newton/

sibellc
Apr 14, 2004, 01:35 AM

There's currently a BIN auction on Ebay offering 17 brand new emates for $159 each.

Looks like a rare find.

I almost bought one back in the day, if I remember correctly the major difference between it and the MessagePad 2100 is the processor speed, 30MHz vs. 167 rings a bell, I may be mistaken.

CBS

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 09:25 AM

The 2x00 Newtons actually had 167 MHz StrongARM processors while the eMate had a 25 MHz StrongARM. The real benefit to the eMate vs. the other Newtons is the keyboard and the durability (remember these were built to be inexpensive portables for schools). I have an upgraded 2000 and I still think it's the best PDA available, hands down.

Tim
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

fivminwalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2004, 01:10 PM

Right on.. hmm it sounds like they are a little on the expensive side. I mean my Clie has a 66mhz dragonball chip and 15mgs of storage. Kinda puts that emate to shame. But that keyboard and the design are great. How upgradeable is the emate; anyone know? Thanks for all your help guys!

new newton
Banned
Apr 16, 2004, 10:22 PM

That eMate is from 1997. It's not supposed to compare to today's technology. I've got both the eMate and the 2100. They use CPUs with different architectures, so while the speed difference is very large in mhz, it's not as large in actual use.

I wouldn't call it a viable solution for what you want it to do. Your brother needs to learn concentration, and a kid can goof around on an eMate as easily as on a computer--even if it's just coloring in the whole screen.

What you need is to restrict which programs your brother has access to, and what he can do with the computer. OS X has some tools built in for that, and there are more comprehensive 3rd party solutions available.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 01:26 AM

Hey, Maxintosh, what is the name of the 3d party sync solution? I've recently had my interest in a 2100 revived, and may see about buying one (If I can) soon...

thanks,
Mike

Kami
Apr 17, 2004, 02:43 AM

The emate will take ethernet cards and if you go to PCBman's website he is selling the RAM upgrades for the emate. The RAM upgrade used to be really expensive when the Newer Tech cards were the only ones available

I think the sync software is called Newten and escale when using X

fivminwalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 12:40 AM

That is a good idea about restricting programs that my brother has access to. And I can easily now see my mistake in comparing two completely different generations of technology. Thanks for the great input everyone! I believe that for now I will try to limit my brother�s access to programs that cause him to stray from his homework. I might end up buying the eMate for myself! Is there a wide verity of software I can download for the eMate?

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 20, 2004, 01:05 AM

Have you considered an Alphasmart Dana?

http://www.alphasmart.com/
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

fivminwalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Have you considered an Alphasmart Dana?

http://www.alphasmart.com/
Not for $450! WOW! thanks for the advice though!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2004, 02:01 AM

Oh man, this thread got me so fired up, I bought an eMate on eBay from the guy mentioned above. The price was $145 with free shipping and some Newer Tech RAM. Very cool.

Why? Cuz I've always loved the way the eMate looks, and $145 is a great deal.

Great resource for newbies!
( Last edited by AC Rempt; Apr 25, 2004 at 02:34 AM. )

fivminwalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by AC Rempt:
Oh man, this thread got me so fired up, I bought an eMate on eBay from the guy mentioned above. The price was $145 with free shipping and some Newer Tech RAM. Very cool.

Why? Cuz I've always loved the way the eMate looks, and $145 is a great deal.
Right on! It is a great little machine. Let me know what you think of its functionality when you get it. thanks

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2004, 01:33 AM

Right now, I'm trying to get my Newt 130 to sync with Panther in prep for the eMate arrival. I am way too excited about this.

I'll keep you all informed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules