Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Monkeys cannot write Shakespeare

Monkeys cannot write Shakespeare
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 05:17 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3013959.stm

A bizarre experiment by a group of students has found monkeys cannot write Shakespeare.

Lecturers and students from the University of Plymouth wanted to test the claim that an infinite number of monkeys given typewriters would create the works of The Bard.

A single computer was placed in a monkey enclosure at Paignton Zoo to monitor the literary output of six primates.

But after a month, the Sulawesi crested macaques had only succeeded in partially destroying the machine, using it as a lavatory, and mostly typing the letter "s".

The project, by students from the university's MediaLab Arts course, received �2,000 from the Arts Council.

Director of the university's Institute of Digital Arts and Technology (i-DAT), Mike Phillips, denied the project was a disaster and said they had learned "an awful lot".

He also denied it had been a waste of money.

He said the �2,000 was spent on purchasing the hardware to set up a radio link so the activities in the enclosure could be watched live on a website.

"Compared to the cost of reality TV, this was a tiny pinch of money," he said.

"It provided very stimulating and fascinating viewing."

The six monkeys - Elmo, Gum, Heather, Holly, Mistletoe and Rowan - produced five pages of text which consisted mainly of the letter "s".

But towards the end of the experiment, their output slightly improved, with the letters A, J, L and M also appearing.

However, they failed to come up with anything that remotely resembled a word.

Paignton Zoo scientific officer Dr Amy Plowman said: "The work was interesting but had little scientific value, except to show that the 'infinite monkey' theory is flawed."

The results of the experiment formed part of a larger project developed by i-DAT.

They have been published in a limited edition book entitled Notes Towards The Complete Works of Shakespeare.
A seventh monkey, Zimphire, did not contribute to the group effort although he did repetitively type out the letters "S_I_L_L_Y". Researchers have put this down to coincidence rather than intelligence. "Just look at him" Dr Plowman said, pointing to a surly individual at the end of a row of cages. "There's no recognition there. The lights are on but nobody's home".

Because of his lack of worthwhile input, Zimphire was placed in a separate cage, with internet access, last June.

dillerX
Professional Poster
May 13, 2003, 05:26 AM

I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

deekay1
Mac Elite
May 13, 2003, 06:24 AM

rotflmao

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 06:33 AM

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 06:40 AM

LOL

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
May 13, 2003, 09:27 AM

He also denied it had been a waste of money.
Who here already knew monkeys couldn't write shakespeare?
Guess they didn't.

I wonder whats stranger, That they didn't know, or that they actually did a test to find out?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2003, 09:29 AM

Dammit! Foiled again!! (I had this great scheme to reverse engineer Shakespeare..)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules