Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Bad sectors/blocks

Bad sectors/blocks
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 09:06 PM

Ok so I wake up one day star up my comp and my G5 imac is verryyyy slow, and unusable. I run techtool and it finds 20 bad sectors or something, it was unable to mark the sectors as bad.

I try to start up the mac from the hardware test cd but it wont. I call Apple knowing what theyre going to say but hopeful that they will do something anyway; they tell me to reinstall tiger, guy says somthing about going to disk utility from the tiger instal disk, it doesn't work. He says just intal it anyway and if it works it's fine.

So I did that and it works my problem is that I'm not sure the bad sectors were marked as unreadable when Tiger reinstalled and wondering if this could become a problem in the future. And what caused the bad sectors to begin with? Apple guy was no help. Another thing is that many times I emply the trash and the computer screeches at me, really really loud like a gun shot, it still does this even after reinstal. Apple doesn't think its a problem.

Any advise? I'm affraid Apple is trying to delay this problem till after my warrante is out.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2006, 09:14 PM

That's a lot of bad sectors, which isn't a good thing. I think the only way to mark bad sectors is to format a drive, but there's no guarantee even after that that there will not be new bad sectors found later. I'd get the drive replaced.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Nov 12, 2006, 09:15 PM

I'd get a new HD while you can, back up your data, and put it in the iMac to replace the one that's hosed.

el chupacabra  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 09:50 PM

I take it I can't expect apple to replace the drive for me even though I payed for their warranty? You think if it became completly ruined they would fix it since I have a case number before the warranty expired?

Everything is backed up since they made me reinstall Tiger which erased everything, I wasn't able to do an "Archive and instal".

Im wondering If I do get a new drive if something else in the mac is faulty (such as the powersupply or board) and will destroy it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 04:34 AM

It's very improbable that the malfunction is due to anything other than the drive. I'm not sure what Apple's policy on bad sectors is, but if you can get a diagnostic utility like Apple Hardware Test or TTP to report that it has some other error, they'll likely replace it. Or you can just try being really polite but insistent with Apple that the drive has malfunctioned and you need a replacement installed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Nov 13, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
I take it I can't expect apple to replace the drive for me even though I payed for their warranty? You think if it became completly ruined they would fix it since I have a case number before the warranty expired?
If you are still under warranty, Apple will replace your drive.

This is a hardware issue, moving … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules