Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Canadian gun violence is unchecked by common-sense restrictions on assault

Canadian gun violence is unchecked by common-sense restrictions on assault
finboy
Dec 14, 2008, 08:13 PM

Wow, it turns out that gun laws don't work in Canada either:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

I can't believe it. I wonder if the guy was a hunter (the alleged killer, I mean).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2008, 08:55 PM

What is your argument, exactly?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 07:47 AM

I think he's saying this killing took place because the guy had access to a "assault rifle."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 07:54 AM

"He was giving them a bit of grief, he was saying that his cuffs hurt, but he was following orders."
psh

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
He doesn't have one; he just had to post something sensational.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 09:35 AM

Clearly, gun control doesn't work because a person in Canada was killed by someone with a gun.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2008, 09:40 AM

Obviously having more guns in that area would have prevented more deaths.....

or something like that

"Learn to swim"

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 12:11 PM

MS13 has taken to using machetes as their weapon of choice.
45/47

Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 10:17 AM

One misconception when it comes to Canadians is that they are not violent people when in fact they can be very wiolent.

I watched a movie just over one month ago called Le Déserteur; it was about a French Canadian guy that decided to become a deserteur because he did not believe in saving other's people freedom; so he deserted his post and ran away in the forest and met some his peace loving friend in the woods; sometime later one of the guy got caught by a RCMP agent and was bringing him out of his parents house in handcuff; when the RCMP agent got attack and almost killed by the so called peace loving déserteurs (but not the heroe of the movie); then a colleague of the RCMP agent shot our heroe in the back while he was running away in the night by a peace loving RCMP agent.

When you are making fighting a personal case anyone can become violent.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 16, 2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
MS13 has taken to using machetes as their weapon of choice.
Oddly intelligent of them; the machete is more scary than a gun. It's more personal than shooting someone, and a machete attack can be "drawn out" to quite a long event. It's very psychological of them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

finboy  (op)
Dec 16, 2008, 06:00 PM

No argument, really. Just pointing out how dangerous it is to live in Canada. Especially since some people there have guns and laws against assault don't seem to work at stopping those hell bent on assaulting.

Watch out all you Canucks. Eh?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
No argument, really. Just pointing out how dangerous it is to live in Canada. Especially since some people there have guns and laws against assault don't seem to work at stopping those hell bent on assaulting.

Watch out all you Canucks. Eh?
It sounds to me like you are just trolling. There are gun deaths everywhere in the world where guns exist, and this is not a terribly profound statement.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 06:56 PM

This is pretty weak, even by PL standards.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2008, 07:00 PM

It sounds to me like you are just trolling. There are gun deaths everywhere in the world where guns exist, and this is not a terribly profound statement.
I think the post was directed at those Canadians who in the past have posted "only in America" type nonsense when someone in the U.S. goes postal.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Dec 16, 2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Removed redundant redundancy)
Nemo me impune lacesset

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
Unlike swords ?

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I think the post was directed at those Canadians who in the past have posted "only in America" type nonsense when someone in the U.S. goes postal.
Perhaps, but without any clarification from the OP, you're making an assumption.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 09:34 PM

If it is okay with the original poster, since we don't really have anywhere to go with this thread maybe it can be about Alan Alda now?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 09:53 PM

Or perhaps the bassoon?

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2008, 09:54 PM

Alan Alda violence is unchecked by common-sense restrictions on assault.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2008, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Perhaps, but without any clarification from the OP, you're making an assumption.
Which is why I said "I think".
Nemo me impune lacesset

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Unlike swords ?

-t
No no, you misunderstand.

I don't propose people having swords. I AM the sword of God!

(or something like that )

"Learn to swim"

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post

or something like that
The argument about "having more guns" in a society is often badly distorted. It's not about some number among the whole population, it's about citizens being both willing and able to take an active part in their own protection. In Canada, the people with guns are the "bad guys" because most gun ownership is illegal. I think the facts show that these "bad guys" are actively taking advantage of a governmentally disarmed populace; they DEPEND on everyone else being unarmed. This allows them to act with impunity, since "only the outlaws have guns."

Does this mean that it would be a good idea for Canada to start issuing firearms to the general populace? Not at all. Canadian society has developed such a dependence on their government to take care of them that there are apparently far too few people willing to take the risks necessary to fight back against these criminals. That means that "an armed populace" would be far from effective in deterring criminals.

Compare that to Florida or Texas, where passage of concealed handgun licensing laws directly resulted in immediate and striking decreases in armed crimes; the bad guys couldn't depend on people being unarmed, and since they ain't that stupid, they changed what they did. People in these states have a strong independent streak and seem to believe that government is not akin to "parents," so if they need something done, they're likely to do it themselves (and almost always within the law).

It's never been an issue of "guns" as such. It's an issue of taking responsibility for yourself and your own safety. As much as I love Canada, I'm afraid that their society is just not made up of people who will make enough fuss about this sort of thing to do anything about it. That leaves them at the mercy of these criminals who really don't care at all that having guns is illegal.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2008, 02:04 PM

The only gun-related violence I hear about in my local papers as of late is always some Asian/Sikh targeted shooting. These people come into the country along with their kids, their kids grow up hanging around "gangstaz" and driving expensive cars that their parents have paid for, get into the drug trade, blah blah blah, and then off themselves one by one in broad daylight in restaurants and stores.

I'm not complaining -- as long as they off just each other and not a bystander.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 05:12 PM

Talk about stereotyping generalizations. Any proof for your rants about Sikhs?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Talk about stereotyping generalizations. Any proof for your rants about Sikhs?
Yeah -- every couple of days in the Vancouver Sun.

Though it seems that someone's being a bit too touchy. I'm not stereotyping or generalizing anyone -- I said that whenever I read about some sort of gun violence/shooting, it's always tied to an Asian or Sikh gang (the only exception in recent times that I can remember is the recent Christmas party shooting). The rest of the comment was in the context of said Asian/Sikh gangsters and how they get to that point.

Reading comprehension FTW, jumping to conclusions because something tickles your P.C. lobe FTL!

Forum Links
Forum Rules