Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Simultaneous audio output - hardware & wireless?

Simultaneous audio output - hardware & wireless?
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2014, 09:03 AM

This might be an easy answer but I have not tried it before, so figured I'd ask for opinions on the best way to go about it.

I have a Mac Mini serving as a HTPC, which means it is hardwired to my stereo audio system via optical or USB (depending on the type of DAC I'm using). So audio out is first handled by the DAC, which goes into a stereo preamp, the into a stereo amp, then out to the speakers. There is no fancy multichannel sound or audio-video receiver or other such nonsense.

That's all well and good for my main music/living area, but I would also like to be able to play what is happening on the main system in other areas of the house - namely, inside the kitchen, and then outside in the back yard (likely via outside-capable speakers attached to the back of the house). So for example if I've got something good playing in the living room, the wife can also make it play in the kitchen if she's hanging out in there. Note that most music is played on the Mini from iTunes via Remote app...or sometimes, on Plex.

I would also like the audio to be more or less simultaneous...someone can walk from the living area into the kitchen and then outside, so while they aren't directly adjacent to each other, obviously it would be noticeable if one area has a 5-second audio delay (although something around a second or less probably wouldn't be noticeable). Total walking distance is likely around 40 feet or so.

Finally, it would be ideal if we didn't need to physically access the speaker system(s) in the kitchen - if it would just "wake up" when audio is streamed to it, and then eventually go to sleep when it is not. I would like to hide it up above the cupboards if possible...although I suppose a remote would work fine if it didn't require line-of-sight.

I see lots of "Bluetooth audio" and/or Airplay-capable systems available now, but I also see lots of comments about dropouts and stuttering and so on. Due to distance and reno fatigue, hard-wiring speakers to these areas is likely not going to be acceptable to the wife, so that's why I was wondering about wireless capabilities.

Any thoughts or comments on whether this can be done, and if so, how?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2014, 04:39 PM

Keep in mind that AirPlay has a built-in two-second delay to allow for coding/decoding (all AirPlay audio is transmitted as Apple Lossless via Wi-Fi).

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 30, 2014, 04:44 PM

Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil for Mac: Wireless Audio Around Your House

This will do it. I haven't done synchronized video, but for audio, it compensates for the encoding delay.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2014, 08:56 AM

Boom! Never heard of Airfoil but on initial glance it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for - thanks!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2014, 09:51 AM

Airfoil FTW. Have been using it for years, it's great.

Rogue Amoeba in general has some really good apps.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules