Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Political Statement Advice

Political Statement Advice
ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2021, 03:42 PM

I am a long-time member of a national organization, that has evolved from being focused on a particular area of interest into being a radical political machine. It is time for me to end this relationship.

Just cancelling my membership isn’t satisfactory. I want to publicly make a statement about why I’m leaving the organization. But I don’t know how to make such a statement as broadly public as I feel it should be.

I remain quite involved in the area of interest the organization once specialized in. But the rabid, extreme, (and quite possibly heavily influenced by foreign interests) political agenda of this organization has become so abhorrent that the whole world needs to know that a long-time member is leaving because the organization appears to be irretrievably corrupted.

So how do I get the broad public to notice my statement for maximum impact - both on the public and on this now-corrupt organization?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2021, 03:55 PM

Start by not naming the organization.

My bet is on the NRA.

andi*pandi
Mar 24, 2021, 04:24 PM

Twitter and @ -ing them is one way, along with @ -ing other influential members of the organization. Chances are you will be nailing a giant target to your back if you take this route. <cough> pun intended.

Similarly, reddit.

Are letters to the editor still a thing?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2021, 05:16 PM

If a letter to the editor is printed on a forest of dead trees but no one reads it, does it make an outrage?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2021, 05:46 PM

Is that YOU Prince Harry?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

reader50
Administrator
Mar 24, 2021, 05:50 PM

Are you willing to spend money? Several people have tried to gain corporate attention, over political or internet upgrade issues. Buying an ad space in the NY Times or Washington Post or Wall Street Journal has sometimes gotten results. As have billboards near major highways.

Major news ad space is expensive if you want a good sized ad. The linked story cost him $10K. A billboard might be cheaper, especially for longer exposure. I imagine they sell it for a month at a time. But I've no idea what the prices are like.

Thorzdad
Mar 24, 2021, 05:53 PM

Just keep in mind, that if any ultra-rabid supporters of said organization (or the org's politics) happen upon your statement, you will be targeted. It probably won't be much more than a deluge of hate mail, but, still, you'll be opening yourself up as a target. Sadly, this is something you have to consider these days. It's more apt to happen if the org in question is aligned on the far right end of the spectrum, but, regardless, it's something to consider now.

OreoCookie
Mar 25, 2021, 05:37 AM

I think if you want to have a longer-term impact, you should look for an organization that better represents your values and advertise for it in your circles. From the sound of things, you are talking about the elephant in the room called NRA. In that case I’d look for a gun owner association that e. g. supports universal background checks and the like (assuming you are in favor of that). Talk to your buddies on the shooting range who think that Obama/Hillary/Biden will personally stop by their house and take away all their guns. That’ll have a larger impact over time, I think, than sending a letter to someone.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Mar 25, 2021, 01:57 PM

I am aware that I cannot publicize my feelings about said organization without anonymity. And unfortunately I cannot afford to pay for advertising space anywhere, let alone in WSJ or NYT.

However, the social media angle is different. I can create accounts that are not easily traced to me, and vent about how this organization has betrayed its members with minimal exposure.

I am fairly certain writing to the organization’s publications is useless. But writing to the editors of a bunch of newspapers, especially those that may support the organization, has promise.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2021, 03:38 PM

^^^

Just be sure to use a VPN and/or post from public WiFi if you go that route.

OAW

reader50
Administrator
Mar 25, 2021, 04:06 PM

If it is the NRA, the leaders are being sued for embezzlement by the NY state attorney general. A multi-million surplus turned into a multi-million deficit as they charged everything personal to the organization. Other people's money is so easy to spend.

If you know anything at all on the subject and volunteered for the suit, your words would appear in court filings. Which are read by many news organizations, members of the public, and especially members/leaders of the NRA. It would only cost you some time. Not anonymous, but if anyone threatened you, they are threatening a witness. The US Marshals would handle it.

If it's not the NRA, the same tactic would still work. If any suits are ongoing and you join them, your words still appear in filings. And the Marshals handle any threats.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 25, 2021, 04:31 PM

Medium seems like an appropriate place for a longer-form article to be able to get wider coverage.

https://help.medium.com/hc/en-us/art...ishing-a-story

Publish it to Medium, then share that as close or far as you'd like with your appropriate social media. I've seen articles get picked up from Medium that would have been noticed if they were a Facebook or Instagram post.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2021, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
However, the social media angle is different. I can create accounts that are not easily traced to me, and vent about how this organization has betrayed its members with minimal exposure.
This is a catch-22 because the only reason people will pay attention to a social media account is if it’s interesting, and by making it interesting you’ll invariably end up doxing yourself.

An exception would be if you’re a pathological liar, which I don’t see in your profile.

P.S. Sorry if I blew your cover by mentioning names.

OreoCookie
Mar 26, 2021, 02:47 AM

I am aware that I cannot publicize my feelings about said organization without anonymity. And unfortunately I cannot afford to pay for advertising space anywhere, let alone in WSJ or NYT.
Just to understand your thought process: are you intending to blow the whistle? Or do you intend to make a political statement of the the sort “I am a long-term member of organization ABC, and I fundamentally disagree with the direction they have taken.”? (I know you want to be intentionally vague, and I respect that, so I am not going to ask further.)

If you want to blow the whistle on something, anonymity is a must. But if you want to make your disagreements public, it'd be more impactful if you put your name (and perhaps your bona fides) to it. It helps to be a nurse if you are complaining about the state of affairs in hospitals or a vet if you want to criticize the NRA.
I am fairly certain writing to the organization’s publications is useless. But writing to the editors of a bunch of newspapers, especially those that may support the organization, has promise.
Maybe, but I'd think about your intention first: do you want newspapers to write an article about whatever you have identified as a wrong? Do you want them to publish your letter in the To the Editors section of the paper?

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Mar 26, 2021, 03:49 PM

My point is to make it clear that, whatever the “leadership” of this organization has said publicly, their actions have proven that they are corrupt, thieving, untrustworthy and anti-(everything they “say” they stand for). And that at least some of their membership knows it.

However, in reviewing actions elsewhere involving this organization, I am no longer feeling that a “statement” is absolutely necessary. While much of the membership still adores the organization’s so-called leaders and what comes out of their mouths, the organization is hemorrhaging money and members pretty fast. I think that if I simply vent in my notice of resignation, I’ll feel better about it, and I’ll be able to sit back and munch popcorn while the whole thing implodes in public.

This will also allow me to avoid having some of the more rabid members target me.

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2021, 04:48 AM

[…] the organization is hemorrhaging money and members pretty fast. I think that if I simply vent in my notice of resignation, I’ll feel better about it, and I’ll be able to sit back and munch popcorn while the whole thing implodes in public.
This is also a good form of protests, which affords you safety in numbers: a waning membership is a strong sign for the organization that they are becoming less and less relevant.
This will also allow me to avoid having some of the more rabid members target me.
If you wanted to increase your impact on a small scale, you could discuss these issues with people you trust and who trust you, who may be on the fence on some of these issues.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Mar 27, 2021, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
If you wanted to increase your impact on a small scale, you could discuss these issues with people you trust and who trust you, who may be on the fence on some of these issues.
I don’t think I know any people who are “on the fence” about this organization. Politically and ethically, I have literally no personal acquaintances who feel the organization is redeemable or retrievable.

On the other hand, I have many online acquaintances involved in what the organization asserts its focus is, and for quite some time I’ve managed to avoid any discussion about the organization itself. I think I’m pretty safe there, and that I can continue useful technical discussions in those settings, which I find worthwhile and enjoyable.

So I guess it’s been useful for me to “talk out” my thoughts here. Not that I had any shred of belief that anyone here would try to sway my plan to leave the organization, or to suggest that I simply “ghost” it. But hearing from folks with decidedly different backgrounds, politics and social experiences from my own has helped me see that “Glenn shouting from the rooftops that the organization is crap” won’t be as useful as simply joining the throng of former members.

I certainly appreciate the well thought out suggestions, and in particular the lack of judgmental-ness of everything. When I became a member of this organization, it wasn’t at all the way it is now. And it has changed quietly and gradually enough that what I used to simply discount as hyperbole became something very different. And I can see how many, many members went along with the creep into radicalism simply by depending on the organization to provide honest and true information. That’s how radicalization happens, and I’d bet it would completely shock anyone who could realize how they had become radicalized just like (insert whatever example you want here).

Clearly, I’m a bit “slow” in some areas. And with “real life” as a major distraction, I’ve let a lot of stuff pile up without addressing it - I’ll use my current orthopedic oddessey as an example. Stupid real life...

OreoCookie
Mar 29, 2021, 04:20 AM

On the other hand, I have many online acquaintances involved in what the organization asserts its focus is, and for quite some time I’ve managed to avoid any discussion about the organization itself. I think I’m pretty safe there, and that I can continue useful technical discussions in those settings, which I find worthwhile and enjoyable.
If you feel like you want to make a point (as indicated by your first post in the thread), this might be an avenue to explore: you could engage in these discussions where you have previously held your tongue. But of course, you might get blow back. Nevertheless, depending on how open you have been about personal information, this might be relatively anonymous.
So I guess it’s been useful for me to “talk out” my thoughts here. Not that I had any shred of belief that anyone here would try to sway my plan to leave the organization, or to suggest that I simply “ghost” it. But hearing from folks with decidedly different backgrounds, politics and social experiences from my own has helped me see that “Glenn shouting from the rooftops that the organization is crap” won’t be as useful as simply joining the throng of former members.
Just out of curiosity — and feel free to ignore this bit if you feel like you’d give too much away: I can’t help but get the impression that you are somewhat afraid of making this step. You don’t even name the organization. This is very surprising, because I have known you (online) for 20 years or so now, and you never struck me as the delicate type. Quite the contrary. I find that quite worrying, to be honest, what that says about “the organization”. Many more people — some less self-confident than you — must be afraid to speak out.
I certainly appreciate the well thought out suggestions, and in particular the lack of judgmental-ness of everything. When I became a member of this organization, it wasn’t at all the way it is now. And it has changed quietly and gradually enough that what I used to simply discount as hyperbole became something very different. And I can see how many, many members went along with the creep into radicalism simply by depending on the organization to provide honest and true information. That’s how radicalization happens, and I’d bet it would completely shock anyone who could realize how they had become radicalized just like (insert whatever example you want here).
I don’t know whether this was a factor for you, but I think a lot of people might also argue that if all “moderate” (i. e. non-crazy) members leave the organization, all that is left are crazy nut jobs. I know some former life-long Republicans who went through the same, who never thought of themselves as Democrats. It took quite a bit for them to take the step, it was their crossing of the Rubicon.
Clearly, I’m a bit “slow” in some areas. And with “real life” as a major distraction, I’ve let a lot of stuff pile up without addressing it - I’ll use my current orthopedic oddessey as an example. Stupid real life...
I think that is completely human and normal. IMHO it is healthy if you haven’t built your identity around “the organization”, and that you have finite resources (time, emotion, money) to dedicate to things like that. Also, you have changed your mind on something and are taking steps now. I think this is great, because that is healthy.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Mar 29, 2021, 10:06 AM

I’ve been hopeful about the organization, but unreasonably so. The organization not only didn’t wake up to reality, it kept digging deeper into its own fabrication, and using its political leverage to stop useful legislation has very recently led to tragedy.

I’m coy about the organization in no small part because of just how intensely radical, and intensely - and intentionally, I think - anti-reality many members have become.

Fortunately most of my online interactions involving those interests are far more “nuts and bolts,” so nothing political really crops up. In the past, when anything political has intruded in technical discussions, it’s been considered a distraction by most participants, and in particular by the mods of those forums. And for the moment, that’s fine with me.

I’ll also point out that, while I’m fretting about this, I’m also facing major surgery - without a clearly defined date for that surgery. So I’m dealing with a lot of stress and a lot of discomfort. That’s probably causing me to lean toward being cautious in a lot of things, maybe too cautious. But as I said, talking this out with a group of reasonable people that I trust has helped me work through and manage the stress I feel about this subject.

OreoCookie
Mar 30, 2021, 05:21 AM

I’ll also point out that, while I’m fretting about this, I’m also facing major surgery - without a clearly defined date for that surgery. So I’m dealing with a lot of stress and a lot of discomfort. That’s probably causing me to lean toward being cautious in a lot of things, maybe too cautious. But as I said, talking this out with a group of reasonable people that I trust has helped me work through and manage the stress I feel about this subject.
Life is complicated and a strenuous surgery is certainly reason enough for you to not have to go head straight first into trouble. I’m having family issues at the moment, too, my mom is terminally ill, and I am completely pre-occupied. So I understand that quite well.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Mar 30, 2021, 10:32 AM

I’m sorry about your mother, Oreo. That’s a rough situation to be in, and the typical feeling of helplessness is all too common.

Similarly, while I know a great deal about what I’m facing, I don’t have a set date for the surgery, which leaves the whole situation up in the air - and despite having a definite plan to resolve it, that’s the only definite thing about it. I hurt, I have financial issues because I can’t work, and I can see how my situation is making my wife anxious and unsettled as well.

But one of the best ways to deal with situations where you can’t do everything you want to is to do something you can do. I hope you feel that you’ve helped me, and that’s something you’ve done. Actively no longer supporting this particular organization is something I can do as well.

OreoCookie
Mar 31, 2021, 03:50 AM

I’m sorry about your mother, Oreo. That’s a rough situation to be in, and the typical feeling of helplessness is all too common.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I mean it.
Similarly, while I know a great deal about what I’m facing, I don’t have a set date for the surgery, which leaves the whole situation up in the air - and despite having a definite plan to resolve it, that’s the only definite thing about it. I hurt, I have financial issues because I can’t work, and I can see how my situation is making my wife anxious and unsettled as well.
That really sucks. In other first-world countries, you don’t have to worry about medical bills, but even then the pandemic complicates matters greatly. For example, when my mom has an appointment in the hospital (for round of chemo or a CT), she has to do two Covid tests before she is allowed in the oncology department. And no visitors are allowed. Period. So my father wasn’t allowed to be next to my mom when they told her the cancer is terminal, for example. The pandemic also made it impossible for me to go and see my family for the first few months, which drove me up the wall.

In your case the financial aspect comes in, too. That must be tough, I can’t and don’t want to imagine. Add to that the inability to do something, and for types like us, this can be very hard to deal with.
But one of the best ways to deal with situations where you can’t do everything you want to is to do something you can do. I hope you feel that you’ve helped me, and that’s something you’ve done.
True. And I have learnt that kind words can mean a lot. My friends have been very kind to me, and it made me realize that just getting in touch when a friend is not doing great can have a big impact, even if you don’t realize it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2021, 08:54 AM

A terminal diagnosis of a love one feels like the ground opening up and swallowing you. I'm sorry you're going through that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules