Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Alaskan experience

The Alaskan experience
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2004, 07:13 PM

What is it like to live in Alaska?
Here's an example: The rounds and the fury

It's a tad long, so here's a taste:
We parked the car and as soon as we got out we could hear the clatter of gunfire through the bushes ahead. From Shane's jeep we pulled out a couple of .22 rifles, a .38, a Smith and Wesson .44, and a potato gun. From the back seat Andy grabbed a box of ammunition, two boxes of clay pigeons and a Hewlett Packard printer. Waiting in the parking lot were Gregorio and his wife.

�This'll be good for me, man,� Gregorio said. �I've been feeling shitty.� He carried a .44 and two .38s.

As we walked towards the sound of gunfire, hundreds of red, green and blue shotgun casings crunched under our feet. In some places they were so deep I couldn't see dirt beneath them. The blasts grew louder as we approached.

After a hundred yards we came to the edge of a clearing where several people stood, including two very serious young men wearing sunglasses and aiming 9mm handguns into a vast expanse of gravel and junk. They fired at the back seat of a car, a milk jug, and several propane tanks. I tiptoed away from them, over the shotguns shells to the edge of the clearing.
At the other end of the range a man began to fire a large, threatening machine gun. He was smiling and furiously spraying ammo across the junk in front of us.

�I think that might be an AR-15,� Andy said.

�He's having some expensive fun,� said Gregorio, alluding to the price of each bullet.
And as I was shooting I couldn't help but wonder if the exhilaration of pulling the trigger, the adrenaline rush, the satisfying relief of hitting a target and wanting to do it over and over again, if all the fun, addictive things about shooting guns were really what I've been scared of all these years.

Finally, Andy tied an old cell phone to a shot-up copy machine.

�Down with the electronic leash,� he said. He exhaled and squeezed the trigger. Firing off round after round and blasting the phone to smithereens, laughing and enjoying every second.
I admit it. I've been to that shooting range.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2004, 07:15 PM

Sign me up!

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2004, 08:58 PM

For my LA bachelor party we went to a downtown shooting range (I'd vetoed the Sunset Blvd stripper thing). It was interesting for a number of reasons:

1. Guys at a shooting range quickly break up into three camps:

a. the ones who wanted nothing to do with the guns, so they sat in the antechamber getting Cokes out of a machine (and, a number of these guys were among the most "macho" of the outing)
b. the ones who squeezed off a few rounds, tried another gun, squeezed a few more off, and were done;
c. and the ones who peppered their targets. Who squared their stances and compared different weapons. The ones who went through boxes of ammo and stated, proudly, "I'm bringing this shot-to-**** target home to show my wife!"

2. A bachelor party shooting party is fun, but you cannot obviously get drunk. So we ate our (pre-shooting) huge steaks stone sober. Later on after the guns we met up with the girls, but they had such a head start on us we never did catch up.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:20 AM

�Down with the electronic leash,� he said. He exhaled and squeezed the trigger. Firing off round after round and blasting the phone to smithereens, laughing and enjoying every second.
Sounds like the faxmachine scene from Office Space, only with guns!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Sign me up!
dont kids do that in schools etc in USA?
we don't have time to stop for gas

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 09:47 AM

For me, the Alaskan Experience was seeing a late show of "Henry V," getting out around 12:30am and walking home from the cinema in daylight.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 09:51 AM

Was this Alaska or Texas again?

boardsurfer
Jul 23, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Sounds like the faxmachine scene from Office Space, only with guns!
PCLOAD LETTER? What the *** does that mean?!

I grew up with guns and shooting. THat was a good story, all of which I can relate to. Even the shot in the ground. It happened between two of my Dad's friends, but I was present. Pretty scary.

My Dad and I used to pretend to have shoot-outs in teh living room with black powder pistols. They require a blast cap that ignites the powder inside - but if you dont load any powder, its like an expensive cap gun. Anyway, we would have quickdraw duels with just the caps loaded. Fun.

To properly load a black poweder gun you pour in the powder, then put in a paper or cloth patch, then the ball. Well, Dad decided that caps werent enough fun and decided to put a few grams of powder in the cylinder and cover it with a patch - then have the duel. I told him I wanted no part of that. He said he would prove that it didnt hurt by shooting his own foot. I couldnt wait to see this. He loaded the pistol, stuck his foot as far out as he could, and squeezed the trigger. Well, the pistol proceeded to chain fire (all 6 cylinders go off) and set his pant leg on fire briefly - his foot was in so much pain from the patch hitting it - and all I could do was struggle for breath between my laughter. July 5, 1993 - I'll never forget it.
<3 Dad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules