Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking problem in Leopard

Networking problem in Leopard
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 09:32 PM

It seems Leopard has one thing in common with Vista ... networking issues.

I'm on 10.5.2 and some wireless networks (starbucks, some hotels) I can't get it to sync with the wireless. The status cycles between "connected" and "searching" but I never get a valid IP address.

However if I boot into XP via Boot-camp then it works fine.

Only one problem: I don't really want to run XP.

Is anyone else having this? (I searched here and on the Apple support site and found a few threads ... but nothing with a solution and nothing where someone else didn't reply "never heard of it".)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

tridentinecanon
Mar 28, 2008, 12:58 AM

What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? What does the setup in Network Preferences look like?

First thing I would try is simply creating a new user account in OS X and seeing if the problem persists.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? What does the setup in Network Preferences look like?

First thing I would try is simply creating a new user account in OS X and seeing if the problem persists.
That much I have done. The same thing happens regardless of who is logged in.

Beyond that I've tried to join different access points (when available). Once this starts happening I can't join any networks from OSX, short of plugging in an Ethernet cable ... which is usually not an option.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2008, 02:44 PM

Oddly I just found this while searching regarding MY similar problem.
This only came to light when Starbucks roled out the WiFi and I tried to connect.

I cant.

I just get a message that the redirect page they send you to to login cant be loaded. If I boot into XP it finds and authenticates just fine.

I have this problem in Safari, Firefox, Camino, Opera. Also its not just my machine. Our office is above a Starbucks so I've tried it on two iMacs also, one with Tiger and one running Leopard. Same problem.

REALLY annoying.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 05:08 PM

Are you on the latest and greatest? 10.5.3 ?
(Just curious)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
Oddly I just found this while searching regarding MY similar problem.
This only came to light when Starbucks roled out the WiFi and I tried to connect.

I cant.

I just get a message that the redirect page they send you to to login cant be loaded. If I boot into XP it finds and authenticates just fine.

I have this problem in Safari, Firefox, Camino, Opera. Also its not just my machine. Our office is above a Starbucks so I've tried it on two iMacs also, one with Tiger and one running Leopard. Same problem.

REALLY annoying.
Popup blockers running? Frequently that's a problem for cafe access; the blocker doesn't let the authentication window open, so you just sit there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 12:52 PM

My MBP is running 10.5.3, the other two iMacs that share the problem are 10.4.xx.

The problem persists even with popup blocking turned off. Basically the network redirects you to the signin page at
when you first open a window, however on the Macs it simply fails with the standard error.
Address Not Found
Firefox can't find the server at service2.hotspot.t-mobile.com.
I know things are otherwise functional because I can load starbucks.com and tmobile.com with no problem. Even tried switching user agents, no difference.

I really couldnt care less about accessing the 'Net at Starbucks but not knowing why it DOESNT work is pissing me off, expecially given that I can be redirected and authenticated just fine on my PDA and in XP but not OS X.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2008, 02:54 PM

Hmmmm.... The "free WiFi" that Starbucks is now offering is supposed to be through AT&T, NOT T-Mobile. (Currently, T-Mobile is suing both Starbucks and AT&T for using their equipment to provide WiFi in certain markets.) I wonder if there is an issue in this that's due to the T-Mobile/AT&T conflict...

Not that this would explain why you CAN connect through XP but not OS X...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 04:21 PM

I considered that, though the T-Moble thing was actually settled two days after it was filed since they realized it made them look bad. I allowed for the possibility that they might not have rolled out everywhere but in many locations the tmobile and att hotspots are the same and authenticate redundantly since there are people paying for the t-mo service that starbucks didnt want to completely cut off.

but you're right, its only interesting in an academic sense because it works okay in XP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules