Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP LaserJet P100x - beware no Snow Leopard support!

HP LaserJet P100x - beware no Snow Leopard support!
Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2009, 03:33 AM

So although the older HP LaserJet 10xx series (1010, 1012, 1015) is supported by Snow Leopard right off the bat, the successor series P100x (P1005, P1006) is not.

HP's driver page lists the latest driver update (dated Aug 15 2009) as compatible only with Panther, Tiger, and Leopard.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...os=219&lang=en

Unfortunately HP has so far not been able to say when (or if!) they will release these drivers for Snow Leopard. Note that HP is selling these printers right now. It is the current low-end LaserJet being sold for the Mac. And yet no driver support for SL.

Their have been mixed reports from people who have tried to install the old Leopard drivers on Snow Leopard after discovering that SL did not have driver support for their P100x series printer. One user on HP's forums claims to have been successful, but several others assure that although they applied the same procedure, SL would simply not print to their P1005 or P1006.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 1, 2009, 02:57 PM

I did some poking around on their boards. Looks like Rickster is one of the promised Mac support people they have assigned. I ran across this:
Originally Posted by Rickster
Hi all,

a couple of things that may help

HP Laserjet 1320 - the postscript driver (PPD) file is included in Snow Leopard so you should be OK for printing. If network connected, note that Apple has dropped AppleTalk support with 10.6, you need to use IP to create a printer queue.

HP Laserjet P1005 and P1006 printers - these printers are not yet supported in 10.6. Unofficially, you may be OK to download and use the 10.5 Leopard drivers for basic printing functionality. New 10.6 drivers are TBD from HP. I'll post update info here asap when more is known.

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
... and this.
Originally Posted by Rickster
Hi all,

Unfortunately, updated 10.6 drivers for the HP LaserJet P1005 and P1006 printers are not yet available. HP did a nice job supporting most HP models in 10.6 but a few printers are still a work in progress. We'll post update news here asap.

thanks for your patience,

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
It sounds like work is being done. I'd consider it worthwhile to encourage more work, rather than give up on their outreach efforts.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2009, 04:44 PM

I'd prefer they'd reach out less and instead program more. Talk is cheap.

manuelmorano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2009, 09:21 AM

The temporary solution (works good) is to download old drivers for HP P1000-1500 series (v.1.04) at following link:

http://driverscollection.com/?file_c...9b4ad62f5159c3

Sorry for my bad english (I'm Italian)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2009, 01:19 PM

I miss the days when you could just select Post Script Printer and everything worked fine.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 01:25 PM

I still enjoy that on the $500 LaserJet we use at work. And I understand that I can't get PostScript support on my $100 laser printer at home. But...
• HP is selling this printer for Macs today
• Apple has been telling people for months about SL, dev releases have been available too, IOW HP has had loads of time
• HP has managed to get support ready for very old printers, but they're slacking with their current line
• they're still selling these printers as compatible with "10.4 and newer" which is now actually misleading

Simply put I don't understand their priorities and I don't agree with them either. What really bugs me is that not only do they drop the ball, they also feel like launching some PR stunt is going to help distract form the real problem.

HP's customers don't need PR. They don't need a customer rep to tell them HP's current printer doesn't work with SL - they know that since the moment they tried. What they really need is HP to get serious and have their engineers start hauling some ass.

OreoCookie
Sep 2, 2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I miss the days when you could just select Post Script Printer and everything worked fine.
It still works this way (unless it's a Postscript 1 printer). Simon's printer needs a driver (host-based printing system), the fact that it's not a postscript printer is the problem.
Please don't ask me why HP has managed to support older printers that also need the computer to raster the image
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2009, 04:10 AM

Great.

HP just released an update for their SL printer drivers. But guess what? Still no support for the currently selling LaserJet P1xxx family.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 11, 2009, 12:21 PM

From here. (posted yesterday)
Please note - updated Snow Leopard drivers are not yet available for these 3 HP LaserJets. HP is working on it, coming soon.
  • HP LaserJet P1005
  • HP LaserJet P1006
  • HP LaserJet P1505
I know a promise is less satisfying than a driver in hand. But unless I've missed something elsewhere, this is the first statement that they are definitely coming. "soon" being nonspecific of course.

OreoCookie
Sep 11, 2009, 03:31 PM

However, on the other hand, at least you know they're working on it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2009, 03:38 AM

Depends a lot on what "soon" is in hp speak. I'll sit back when I have the driver on my disk.

OreoCookie
Sep 12, 2009, 04:36 AM

Well, at least you don't have to pay for it.
Back in their Windows days, my parents once had a LaserJet 3100 MFP. Good machine at the time. When time came to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 (and that was a big upgrade, despite the fact that things superficially looked the same!), we found out there is no print driver. I had to downgrade again (which is really easy with Windows ), wait for a few months and then pay for nice HP to ship the driver. Granted, it was 20 or 30 €, but still, why pay for a driver?

That's when I really understood the value of Postscript -- then you don't have to worry at all about these things. All you need is the ppd file.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2009, 05:06 AM

Except that every fancy printer needs more than just a PPD file to do the fancy stuff. If you just want to print ps the PPD is fine, but manufacturers really have gone out of their way to make drivers necessary. Even in the ps laser printer world.

OreoCookie
Sep 12, 2009, 09:07 AM

What would you need drivers for? If it's an MFP, I understand, but our LaserJet 4250 DTN can be configured via a web interface, all functionality is made available via the ppd.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2009, 02:42 AM

OK, so finally HP has released some SL drivers for the P100x series. Apparently Apple's latest software update (HP Printer Drivers for Mac OS X v10.6) installs proper drivers for the series.
Apple Releases HP Printer Drivers for Snow Leopard Version 2.2 - Mac Rumors

The strange thing is that HP themselves still show no indication of any SL support.
HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver HP LaserJet P1005 Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

And first reports on the web say that although these drivers also claim to support the 2100 series, certain printers in that series still remain totally invisible to SL.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 03:09 AM

So now that the P100x series works with Snow Leopard...

It turns out the P100x series still doesn't work if it's attached to an AP Extreme base station. Even though the P100x series is considered to be "AirPort compatible". The printers show up just fine AirPort Utility, but you can't print to them from a 10.6 client.

The same AP Extreme attached P1005 that works perfectly here if accessed from a 10.5 client will refuse to print if the client is a 10.6.2 Mac. The printer's warning LED will just start blinking and the printer queue will mention the connection failed, will retry in 10 sec...

Sigh. Any ideas?

Rayneman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2010, 07:10 PM

snowleopard destroys everything for me and my peripherals. haha.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2010, 05:05 AM

The strange thing is that the printer actually works in Snow Leopard as long as it's connected directly through USB. It's AirPort printing that has somehow been broken.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2010, 02:37 AM

10.6.3 came along and the problem is still not fixed. I can't say I'm expecting 10.6.4 to fix it.

It's ironic because other low-end HP LaserJets work just fine over AirPort even with SL. A friend of mine has a 1012 that I just used the other day over AirPort from my SL MBP. No problems, smooth as silk. Does anybody here have an idea what HP changed when they went form the 101x to the P100x series? Externally they're almost identical (color changed), but my guess is they've also changed some hardware which required a driver rewrite and I;'d guess it's this new driver that is the culprit. Any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules