Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams

Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams (Page 3)
downinflames68
Baninated
Mar 2, 2010, 02:16 AM

Bioshock 1 had potential to be amazing... but instead only the level design and art direction was amazing. None of the characters were interesting, just all mindless zombies trying to kill you, and you couldn't really interact with the world or characters much, besides shoot things. I'm not even going to bother with Bioshock 2.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 06:12 PM

ZeroPunctuation hated it. I love Yahtzee, so cruel and accurate in a world of knob-sucking game reviewers.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
ZeroPunctuation hated it. I love Yahtzee, so cruel and accurate in a world of knob-sucking game reviewers.
I normally think his reviews are over the top but that one is bang on with my thoughts throughout the game. I am the wimpiest big daddy prototype that was better than the later models.... off to a good start.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Bogues Multiplayer Review:
In the end the SIngle Player experience gets a 9/10 for me
The multiplayer SHOCKINGLY gets a 7.5/10 (prior to release i would say Multi was a throw away IMO)
i'd like to make an change to my score, Now that i've played the single player campaign again (for a few achivements) and have 10+ hours in multi i think my scores need a little changing.

Single Player - 9/10 (same score but with two play throughs i've cemented the idea that its a much better experience than bioschock 1 although familiar in setting/gameplay)

Multiplayer - 8.5

I think this multi is very underrated, in the beginning my terrible strategies made it feel impossible and boring but now that i've become pretty good i've changed my mind. Its a great new experience for multiplayer and I have to admit i'm addicted. The different plasmid/weapon combos really come alive after level 20 when you get some decent weapons/tonics/plasmids and you can create your own strategy for each game type....Although i do wish i had some friends to get in on the action.

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2010, 02:45 PM

Well I found a used copy of and have been playing it for a few days now and have come to the same conclusion as most posters here: it's an underwhelming experience. I'm still enjoying it, mind you, and there are a few really well done aspects of it (the voice acting is superb, for one) but overall it just feels one-dimensional.

But what can you do, they can't all be elite, and it's still a pretty funny rainy-day shooter.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2010, 02:44 AM

Well I finished the single player story off today and you know what? I ended up really liking it. Once I got about a third of the way in, I got totally sucked into the storyline and the one-dimensional feeling I had earlier in the game kind of faded away as I got deeper into the audio diaries.

Overall, what really did save this game was the stellar voice acting. It really made it easy to buy in to the story and ignore the fact that at it's heart this is an ultra-linear shooter.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 8, 2010, 10:49 AM

Dakar, whats it gonna take for you to unwrap the plastic off this and take out that MW2 disc you have superglued in your 360?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 8, 2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post

= awesome, that entire sequence was something i never expected.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 12:21 AM

I'm almost through the single player (I'm in Fontaine Futuristics) and I just started the multiplayer, and I have to say this is an excellent sequel to the original. At first I thought some of the changes weren't that great, but eventually I got used to the changes and actually thought some of them made it a different experience, but still in a Bioshock way.

The multiplayer is a good combination of Bioshock with a bit of MW2 thrown in. It's a fun game and once you learn some of the strategy to it, it's even better. I love the big daddy suit in TDM and DM. It's truely a fun experience.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2010, 11:29 PM

I didn't look at the spoiler above till now. Yeah, playing as a little Sister was cool, you got to see the world from their point of view. Boy are those Little Sisters high or what? Talk about rose colored glasses.

I finished the single-player and am still playing the multiplayer. I have to agree the single player is more linear than the first one, but I still think it was as good as the first one. At first I found it quite the battle to survive a battle, but near the middle of the game I started finding it easier, but by then I had attained most of the weapons and plasmids and the mini-turrets and Hypnotize plasmid are quite helpful in the bigger battles (and then again you are a full-fledged big daddy).
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Dakar, whats it gonna take for you to unwrap the plastic off this and take out that MW2 disc you have superglued in your 360?
Crippling boredom and bunch of no-shows, apparently.

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Multiplayer - 8.5

I think this multi is very underrated, in the beginning my terrible strategies made it feel impossible and boring but now that i've become pretty good i've changed my mind. Its a great new experience for multiplayer and I have to admit i'm addicted. The different plasmid/weapon combos really come alive after level 20 when you get some decent weapons/tonics/plasmids and you can create your own strategy for each game type....Although i do wish i had some friends to get in on the action.
I'm 11 or so ranks in, and it feels very bland. Not helping matters is the skeevy amount of lag I'm getting in half the matches.

So far most fights seem like a toss up. I can never tell if I'm doing damage or how close to death anyone is/was. It feels like everyone has too much health (again, may be lag) and the EVE runs out a little quickly and team games border on chaos or two pricks on the other team running together and destroying everything in their path.

When the Big Daddy Suit spawns I have no understanding of how you're supposed to know where it is. A few times when I did get it, I couldn't seem to kill shit -- where guys were dropping me with two long-range shots from the thing I was wailing away point-blank and getting nothing. Not to mention they seemed almost impervious to my melee (seriously, that should be a one-hit kill). It also was difficult to tell when someone was wailing away on my back.

On the flip-side the thing moves way too fast - twice I've tried to flank a Big Daddy only to have him outflank me.

Final thoughts: The entire system feels like a rip-off of CoD. The guns are weak enough to be burdensome unaccompanied by plasmids, which in turn are so weak they are even more useless solo. Long-range fights are awful, thanks to accuracy issues. And only three loadouts is stupid beyond belief.

Oh and I have no idea how people get kills with the crossbow.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 31, 2010, 04:48 PM

So I plan on getting the minervas den dlc today so maybe we can play a little multiplayer together?

Did you start the single player ?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2010, 04:51 PM

No singleplayer til after labor day, maybe after Borderlands DLC comes out.

Actually, no BioShock singleplayer for a while. I'm just doing this to kill time until I can safely discard FPS mechanics for RDR without worrying about having to play a FPS for a while.

Edit: yes, I'll be on to play
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Aug 31, 2010 at 04:59 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2010, 01:00 PM

I noted to sek how similar the BS2 experience was to MW2 with the stupid teammates, laggy games and poor spawns in another thread.

Well it's now surpassed the MW2 experience. I don't think I ever concretely spotted an aimbotter in MW2, but last night I was in a BS2 lobby with two assholes who got nothing but headshots. This is especially fun since the crossbow is the only weapon you can get a OHK with. At one point a dude combo'd 4 people in a row in under 10 seconds with his tazer/xbow to the head combo.

Oh yeah, I've seen several games where people go 0/7+

(I still want to play, though, Bogues)

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 2, 2010, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
(I still want to play, though, Bogues)
I'm in. Friday or saturday night good for you?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2010, 10:08 AM

Yes.

Out of curiosity, what are your loadouts?

I use a wide variety of plasmids, but I have the GL & Nail gun on two of the three.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2010, 03:49 PM

Electro Bolt/Crossbow is the new 2-piece.

Also, I don't have that DLC, Bogues.

(And boy CoD4-like experience… like 3 game sin a row where the host left early)

Forum Links
Forum Rules