Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 4 GPU Acceleration

Firefox 4 GPU Acceleration
cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2011, 08:44 PM

The Firefox 4 beta has had GPU hardware acceleration since beta 7. I have beta 10 installed on my MacPro and get 2 FPS but under VMWare Fusion virtualized on my same MacPro I get 17 FPS. Obviously Firefox's GPU acceleration isn't working in OSX.

Has anyone gotten it to work in OSX? The link to the page to test Firefox 4 beta 7+ is here: Firefox 4: hardware acceleration ✩ Mozilla Hacks – the Web developer blog

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2011, 09:18 PM

The page you linked to explicitly says there is no hardware acceleration in Mac OS X. So no, I guess nobody got it to work under OS X, if the feature isn't available there.

IE 9 and Firefox 4 on Windows 7 beat the crap out of Safari. Once those are out of beta, Apple has some serious catch up to do.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2011, 09:41 PM

In all fairness, Safari has ALWAYS sucked on Windows.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 10:28 PM

If Mozilla gets GPU acceleration working, hopefully Flash won't be too far behind.

P
Feb 8, 2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If Mozilla gets GPU acceleration working, hopefully Flash won't be too far behind.
Quite a bit is accelerated as of 10.1 (or whatever the update to 10.1 was that enabled H.264 acceleration on Macs). 10.2 beta improves further on this. I'm no fan of Flash, but they're actually delivering right now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Quite a bit is accelerated as of 10.1 (or whatever the update to 10.1 was that enabled H.264 acceleration on Macs). 10.2 beta improves further on this. I'm no fan of Flash, but they're actually delivering right now.
I thought that only H.264 video was GPU accelerated, but not the native Flash vector based animations nor videos of other formats?

P
Feb 8, 2011, 10:58 AM

Native Flash vector animations are drawn using Core Animation in Flash 10.1 in Safari 4+, which means that compositing happens on the GPU. Other video is not accelerated, and H.264 video is only partially accelerated AFAIK. 10.2 should improve that.

(Notable is that Flash on Windows doesn't do accelerated animation, and CoreAnimation is available on iOS. Just sayin')
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:01 PM

Speaking of which, 10.2 was just released...

Forum Links
Forum Rules