Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will/Would You Let Your Kids Play (American) Football?

View Poll Results: Would/will you let your kids play football?
Poll Options:
My kids can play any sport they want (or don’t want). 5 votes (55.56%)
My kids will not play football. Too dangerous. 3 votes (33.33%)
I hope they don’t play any sports at all. 0 votes (0%)
I haven't made up my mind yet. 0 votes (0%)
The real tragedy would be if I ever had kids. 1 votes (11.11%)
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll
Will/Would You Let Your Kids Play (American) Football? (Page 2)
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm not sure why that comment brought this question to mind, but have you ever got into a legitimate fight while playing basketball?
No, I've never gotten into a fist fight while playing. The worst is just some jawing back and forth and the most recent time was last week when this guy set a moving pick on me and as I was getting through it he grabbed my arm to stop me- pretty blatant foul but I let it slide and didn't say anything. Shortly after that the ball was going out of bounds and I boxed him out so he couldn't save it. He proceeded to put his finger in my face and tell me to never do that again. I pointed out that I wasn't the one setting illegals picks and grabbing arms but some people are just idiots.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
No, I've never gotten into a fist fight while playing. The worst is just some jawing back and forth and the most recent time was last week when this guy set a moving pick on me and as I was getting through it he grabbed my arm to stop me- pretty blatant foul but I let it slide and didn't say anything. Shortly after that the ball was going out of bounds and I boxed him out so he couldn't save it. He proceeded to put his finger in my face and tell me to never do that again. I pointed out that I wasn't the one setting illegals picks and grabbing arms but some people are just idiots.
I love basketball confrontation stories.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2012, 01:30 PM

That reminds me, I really want to rewatch PJ Brown throwing Charlie Ward into the cameramen for boxing him out.

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2012, 01:57 PM

half of the people on the field are there for the sole purpose of running and slamming into other humans.
Have you ever met any snowboarders?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Have you ever met any snowboarders?

Yeah...

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2012, 03:39 PM

from the first time I heard about it, I've been kind of fascinated with Kermit Washington's "The Punch" that nearly killed Rudy Tomjanovich. Probably because the damage inflicted by Washington was just so incredible and it really gives you a yardstick to measure just how big and strong these basketball players are and that they play with zero protection.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Washington saw Tomjanovich running toward the altercation. Not knowing that he intended to break up the fight, Washington hit Tomjanovich with a roundhouse punch. The blow, which took Tomjanovich by surprise, fractured his face about one-third of an inch (8 mm) away from his skull and left Tomjanovich unconscious in a pool of blood in the middle of the arena. Jabbar likened the sound of the punch to a watermelon being dropped onto concrete...Players involved say that right after Tomjanovich collapsed the absence of sound at the arena, which was filled with shocked fans, was "the loudest silence you have ever heard." Reporters heard the sound of the punch all in the way in the second floor press box, and some rushed to the playing floor in disbelief.

Tomjanovich was able to get up and walk around however, and on the way into the locker room he saw Washington. Tomjanovich says that he became aggressive and asked Washington why he punched him. Washington yelled something inaudible about Kunnert, and they were broken up by two security personnel. Tomjanovich was in no condition to fight despite his aggressiveness; besides having the bone structure of his face detached from his skull and suffering a cerebral concussion and broken jaw and nose, he was leaking blood and spinal fluid into his skull capsule. His skull was fractured in such a way that Tomjanovich could taste the spinal fluid leaking into his mouth. He later recalled that at the time of the incident, he believed the scoreboard had fallen on him. The doctor who worked on Tomjanovich said "I have seen many people with far less serious injuries not make it" and likened the surgery to Scotch taping together a badly shattered eggshell.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2012, 03:53 PM

I remember when Sports Illustrated ran a retrospective on "The Punch," and you listed the phrase that I couldn't get out of my head: "Jabbar likened the sound of the punch to a watermelon being dropped onto concrete."

Horrifying.

It's amazing that Tomjonavich still had the cojones to man up to Washington afterwards.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2012, 04:15 PM

It's amazing that Tomjonavich still had the cojones to man up to Washington afterwards.
I read that he no idea the amount of damage that was done to his face/skull in the immediate aftermath. He was walking around the hallways to the locker and came across a security guard and started asking questions but the security guard couldn't even speak because he was looking at a caved-in, drooping, bloody face. Gives me chills just thinking about it. I don't know how he didn't die, let alone play basketball after it

Forum Links
Forum Rules