Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Prometheus [Big Scary Spoilers]

Prometheus [Big Scary Spoilers] (Page 2)
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2012, 05:27 PM

Yes! We can post spoilers now.

I like the part when Ripley shows up and it's revealed that she is an alien god and all the other Ripleys are clones of her.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2012, 05:49 PM

Scott is my favorite director. He hasn't made bad movies that I know of (therefore I didn't watch Legend)

Alien is my fav scifi movie, I collected franchise for some time and obtained some really great drawings by Cobb.

Scotts debut is also a masterpiece that I enjoy to watch over and over.

I will see prometheus tomorrow

edit : damn your spoiler i half read it and it cant be true
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2012, 07:38 PM

I had been avoiding this thread altogether until I saw the film and I just got back from seeing it. So much to address.

Yes, the plot was weak. Yes, too many unanswered and unasked questions (guessing this is Lindelof's fault).

The original Alien was Sci-Fi and horror.

James Cameron is actually great. The story in Avatar is the worst thing he has done since that Piranha film he made, pretty much everything else between has been top notch. Another one who doesn't make bad movies. There is nothing wrong with Legend.

Fox executives are probably the reason the prometheans want to wipe us out. At least it wasn't Alien: Resurrection.

The FX were outstanding.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2012, 01:05 PM

James Cameron is awesome for spending a lot of his money doing cool things like diving down the Mariana Trench.

His movies on the other hand are absolutely mediocre. Other than the Terminators (the first in particular), I don't think you could call any of them truly good. (I dare anyone to re-watch True Lies for example - it is Truly Bad). They have empty entertainment value and pander for an emotional response - Avatar, Titanic, Abyss, Aliens, T2, True Lies, all of them. He makes money by going big, but they're almost entirely forgettable and don't hold the test of time.

There's no connection to say the original Aliens are descended from the last one in Prometheus - there's a mural earlier in the film that seemed to show an original Alien for example. So it's clear they already exist. The Aliens seem to hatch from the eggs that the octopus/face-hugging things implant.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2012, 02:19 PM

No.

Abyss is very good, T2 is very good, True Lies is ridiculous but fun. Everyone hates Titanic because it was so ludicrously popular when it was released, its very long and because of Celine Dion. Its actually not a bad film at all. Very well made, good cast and considering you have to have a boat sink, the plot is about as much as you could hope for.
Avatar is beautiful but I have already conceded the story is weak.

Aliens is brilliant. End of story. It took a fantastic, ground breaking original movie and instead of cloning it like Alien 3 did, Cameron took it up a few levels. People always talk about what a great, strong female lead Ripley is and they credit Alien but really they are remembering the Ripley from Aliens. In the original she wasn't a lot more than eye candy who survived at the end. In Aliens she actively kicks ass, after overcoming mind-wrecking terror.

The original made you put yourself in a a claustrophobic spacecraft with only a few crewmates, then locked the most terrifying creature in cinematic history in the tin can with you and all you have to defend yourself may as well be a can of deodorant and a lighter.
The second one said "Well it would have been a very different story if we'd had lots of guns, then we'd have totally kicked that alien's ass with ease", then showed you why that was horribly wrong. How many other horror franchises have successfully upped the stakes like that? Most of them are just the same super villain over and over killing a different bunch of teenagers each time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2012, 06:44 PM

Completely disagree.

Abyss had promise and then spectacularly flamed out in the last quarter, T2 is a great action film with not much else going for it except a lot of cheese, True Lies has aged terribly, Titanic has aged terribly, and Avatar is - by all accounts - not a good movie at all (I've never seen). I've watched all those movies, except Avatar, within the last 2 months - because of an argument with a good friend about this very subject. You should go do that. I guarantee you won't be as impressed.

Aliens is not brilliant. Aliens is merely a great action film. Ridley Scott's Alien made you realize the horror of the emptiness and loneliness and darkness of space - it built slowly, claustrophobically, with fantastic pacing, and when it exploded it did so spectacularly; Cameron made a straight-up action film by saying "hey....let's blow shit up, with a woman, in space!".....and turned the terrible, frightening "perfect species" xenomorph into some drone-bee colony that could be blown to bits like so much fodder.

It was not nearly as good as the original, on any level you want to name besides "roller-coaster action ride!", and it was the starting point of Cameron's career path - taking something that should have some measure of introspective emotional attachment, and a) beating you in the face with emotion, or b) blowing it up, spectacularly. All the subtlety of a hammer.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2012, 11:43 PM

I really liked Abyss, T2 was Awesome!!! and I liked Titanic as well. I also loved Avatar even though the story was old, it was original in execution. True Lies was more Arnold movie the James Cameron. And I thought it was a good movie too. I think Aliens is the best of the entire Alien series.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2012, 10:51 AM

So having considered it a bit more, here is my theory on Prometheus:

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2012, 12:46 PM

I guess they got pissed off with us giving their credit to others.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2012, 06:19 PM

I've seen it yesterday. The SFX are wonderful, it made me feel pulled into the movie at many occasions. The last 30 minutes i didn't really follow the story anymore. David friend, then foe, then friend inside a bag. The depth was the prometheus doing a spontaneous kamikaze at the alien ship.

i need to see it again. I am quite slow at getting movies
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post

It's as good a theory as any (although occam's razor says that a better explanation would be that the black goo + xenomorphs are simply a separate species...). At the end of the day, the writer did the same thing as in Lost - posed lots of questions and answered almost none of them - so it really could go any way in the inevitable sequel.

andi*pandi
Nov 19, 2012, 07:31 AM

Rented this weekend. Slept through first 15 minutes. Agreed that these are the dumbest scientists ever, giving credit to bags of rocks and sacks of hammers everywhere.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2012, 06:06 PM

Wow. That sucked.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 12:55 AM

I'm not going to touch on all the other bullshit which has been covered, but I've got one which hasn't.

Get a friend to help here, so you don't accidentally die.

Put a plastic bag over your head. Notice how after awhile it gets hard to breathe? That's carbon dioxide...

At concentrations above 3%...

According to the movie you will be dead 30 seconds from now. Not woozy, not unconscious, dead.

Remove the bag and make a note of whether you've died or not.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 01:24 AM

Couldn't the Engineers have just nuked us from orbit?

I'm starting to get pissed off now.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm not going to touch on all the other bullshit which has been covered, but I've got one which hasn't.

Get a friend to help here, so you don't accidentally die.

Put a plastic bag over your head. Notice how after awhile it gets hard to breathe? That's carbon dioxide...

At concentrations above 3%...

According to the movie you will be dead 30 seconds from now. Not woozy, not unconscious, dead.

Remove the bag and make a note of whether you've died or not.
Say that again? I'm not following - was this a factual statement made about Earth's atmospheric concentration? I don't remember the numbers given.

andi*pandi
Nov 23, 2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Couldn't the Engineers have just nuked us from orbit?
I'm starting to get pissed off now.
It's more fun to play with your toys?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Say that again? I'm not following - was this a factual statement made about Earth's atmospheric concentration? I don't remember the numbers given.
It was made by one of the crew once they hit the moon.

They listed all the similar to earth conditions of the atmosphere. After the safe for breathing nitrogen/oxygen level, everybody goes "woo!", but then the crewmember says "hold-up... 3% carbon dioxide. You take your helmet off, you'll be dead in 30 seconds".

Now, 3% is a lot compared to earth, but it won't kill you. My understanding is you need in the 10% range to get fatal, and even at that level it won't kill you in under a minute. More like a half-hour.

Now, carbon monoxide OTOH...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 10:33 AM

I think they meant monoxide but screwed up.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 10:39 AM

We're all vegetating and watching movies today, Prometheus is up next. This will be my second viewing, so I'll see how I feel afterward.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It's more fun to play with your toys?
I'm actually a little less pissed-off after tapping into the Internet gestalt.

Theories which I find interesting:

1) The Jesus theory mentioned above. Specifically that Jesus was a visiting engineer and we killed him.

2) The robed engineers aren't pals of the engineers in the suits. Taking it one step farther, with the title "Prometheus", one can interpret the robed engineers weren't supposed to be seeding the earth, just like the Gods didn't want us to learn the secret of fire.

The person who came up with number two also mentioned you're supposed to parallel the creators in the movie (Weyland and the Engineers) with the created (David and humanity). This is actually pretty obvious now that I've heard it, but when I was actually watching the movie I was too busy trying to reconcile how everyone was acting so stupid. About halfway through I realized it was to keep the narrative clipping along, but I was already on the wrong wavelength for too long to pick up the thread.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I think they meant monoxide but screwed up.
Makes no sense then. CO will pick up any extra oxygen atoms floating around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules