Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Favorite Anime?

Favorite Anime? (Page 4)
himself
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sandbaggins
Like others have said, Samurai Champloo is sweet.

I loves it.
I must concour... Samurai Champloo is hot to death.

must mention:
Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (but everything GITS is great)
Generator Gawl (kinda underwhelmed at first, but I completely got into the second time)
Zieram (haven't seen it in years, but it sticks in my head)
FLCL
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Hey, whaddya know, it's about time for me to take a break and catch Full Metal Alchemist and GITS:SAC

"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 06:57 AM

Generator Gawl was neat. The concept of an anime where everyone in the cast is a mad scientist is just awesome, and even with that aside there's the opening theme
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 06:32 AM

I saw one episode of Champloo on adult swim... where can i find a torrent for the episodes? (Batch downloads a plus) either that or free direct downloads if possible. it's so much easier finding naruto..

thanks again

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lancer409
I saw one episode of Champloo on adult swim... where can i find a torrent for the episodes? (Batch downloads a plus) either that or free direct downloads if possible. it's so much easier finding naruto..
If you want Samurai Champloo, you can get it right here.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 06:28 PM

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 04:02 PM

Woot

I like Tenjou Tenge ... but it seems to cut off at episode 24.. what happened? Waiting to have enough manga material to make another batch of episodes?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 06:36 PM

I still love Cowboy Bebop. I was grooving to the hip jazz/funk music of it the other day on the train.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Right now I am partial to Hellsing. Most excellent.

Never did dig Ghost in the Shell. I was just bewildered after watching it.
We seem to share similar tastes
Hellsing has the best OST I've heard in Anime music so far, and personally I think its "style" surpasses that of Cowboy Bebop.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 12:57 AM

Re-watched FLCL recently.

Great stuff

-Owl

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy

Great stuff

-Owl
what's FLCL and what's it about? nice owlboy pic btw .. lol
( Last edited by Lancer409; Jun 28, 2005 at 03:01 AM. Reason: to add a chuckling smiley)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2005, 10:55 AM

I reiterate that Someday's Dreamers is the best anime nobody's heard of. I'd also like to add another classic: Revolutionary Girl Utena. Excellent plot, good characters, trippy visuals (actually, pretty much everything is trippy), and the most kickass fight music this side of Noir.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2005, 11:07 AM

Great stuff

-Owl
Those.... eyebrows!!!
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 02:11 PM

HAHA Rock LEE / Gai

in owl form =P

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 04:40 PM

HAHA Rock LEE / Gai

in owl form =P
Gai-sensei rules!

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 04:47 PM

what's FLCL and what's it about? nice owlboy pic btw .. lol
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1...furi_kuri.html
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=277

-Owl

animenfo is down for maintenance at time of posting

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 04:51 PM

HAHA Rock LEE / Gai

in owl form =P
lol I just googled that…

-Owl

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I reiterate that Someday's Dreamers is the best anime nobody's heard of.
I actually watched the first DVD of that when a friend of mine picked it up and she "forced" me to watch it. It was pretty decent.

Also, a thumbs up for Noir and Naruto. What they say is true - it starts out painful, then it consumes your life.

I've seen the first two eps of Maburaho, and I can't decide if it'll be awesome or painful to watch. It could go either way.

I've seen all of Melody of Oblivion and uh... It's better than Eva, but still pretty high on the F'ed-up-O-Meter. At least Melody has some moments of comic relief. And less whining.

Recently, I've really been into Bleach. It's not licensed in the states yet, so if you can find it, it's well worth watching all the way through. Great animation, great action, and the characters actually have... character.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 10:29 AM

Great stuff

-Owl
Holy crap. Thanks for that, I'm watching it now, this stuff is great!

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
Holy crap. Thanks for that, I'm watching it now, this stuff is great!
I saw the first episode on Cartoon Network and the very next day set out to order all 3 DVDs.

-Owl

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 09:19 PM

A Tree of Palme.

Beautiful!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 05:52 PM

Hey all, what is the predominant MANGA forum these days?

I'm trying to get info but the places i have been to are very home spun and not managed well.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 12:40 AM

Eh, i just use ADTRW over at Something Awful, I doubt I'd join a separate forum for Japanese comics, as it's likely to be overrun with Pokeman fans

If you folks can get ahold of the first 2 episodes on "Akane Maniax" it's damn funny!

Been reading the "Initial D" manga, pretty cool so far.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 03:35 PM

Time to dredge this thread back up!

New recommendation: Kakurenbo (Hide & Seek). Quite simply, one of the scariest animated shorts I've ever seen. Only like 25 min long, but it is so coherent in its vision and characters and sense of place that after it was over I felt deeply creeped out for several hours. Not graphic; not explicit -- just SCARY.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 03:58 PM

"Eurka Seven" just had 3 more episode released in a chunk, and things are getting very interesting.

And "Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd gig" DVD 1 is out in English now

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 04:05 PM

I really liked Spirited away and other works by the same dude. The other stuff I am not so fond of.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Voodoogmr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 04:29 PM

1.) Hellsing - By far my favorite anime.
2.) Gantz - Weird and violent.
3.) Appleseed - The animation in the re-make is utterly amazing.
4.) Dead Leaves - This is an absolute wacked-out series. Don't know what they were smoking!
5.) Ghost in the Shell - Excellent story and great action.

Oooh, didn't realize the 2nd Stand Alone Complex disc was out. Time to go shopping!
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hdd
Powerbook G4, 12", 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd
iPod 5G - 30GB

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 05:13 PM

No offense dudes, but one thing that totally put me off anime is the complete lack of humor in it. It is as if nothing funny ever happens in japanese cartoon world. I find that both strange and quite boring. I watched quite a bit of anime as a kid but damn.

Best cartoons were those produced by Europeans and animated by Japanese. Best of both worlds.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 05:22 PM

Er, lack of humor? Try Urusei Yatsura on for size. Maniacally funny anime sitcom. Most of the stuff out nowadays, no matter how serious in overall tone, has bits where something comes out to lighten things up and even get a bit absurd.

G Barnett

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoogmr
3.) Appleseed - The animation in the re-make is utterly amazing.
Appleseed is a damn sweet movie

For shows I'd say Champloo and Inuyasha

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
No offense dudes, but one thing that totally put me off anime is the complete lack of humor in it.
Are you nuts?!

It's clear you haven't been watching any comedies.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 06:32 PM

@ReggieX

Haha

Yes there is humor in anime, just not always intentional. Maybe I just haven't seen the ones that are meant to be funny. All I've ever seen are .. well not that serious but not funny either.

Either way, I fear I've grown away from anime. It was fun while it lasted but now I watch old European cartoons if any. Cities of Gold, Once upon a time... (series), Ulysses 31 among others. I chalk it up to nostalgia.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Scifience
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 08:34 PM

@ReggieX

Haha

Yes there is humor in anime, just not always intentional. Maybe I just haven't seen the ones that are meant to be funny. All I've ever seen are .. well not that serious but not funny either.

Either way, I fear I've grown away from anime. It was fun while it lasted but now I watch old European cartoons if any. Cities of Gold, Once upon a time... (series), Ulysses 31 among others. I chalk it up to nostalgia.

cheers

W-Y
The whole series that the screencap above is from is full of humor. It's a giant parody of Naruto in particular, and Japanese culture in general. Truly funny, though without more background, you probably won't understand a lot of it. If you're interested, though, it's called Ninin ga Shinobuden (ニニンがシノブ伝).

There's an episode guide and some info here: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ニニンがシノブ伝 - it's probably not much use though, since it is in Japanese, and I'm too lazy to find an English version.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 10:32 PM

OK, that's strange. There are a big number of straight-up comedies out there, but they just may not be doing it for ya.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2005, 11:06 PM

(deleted: stupid post by my former self)
( Last edited by itistoday; Mar 26, 2006 at 04:03 AM. )

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Earth Mk. II
...Recently, I've really been into Bleach. It's not licensed in the states yet, so if you can find it, it's well worth watching all the way through. Great animation, great action, and the characters actually have... character.
I started watching Bleach a couple of months ago, and I'm hooked on it already... it's strange, because it isn't all that unique, but it is just very entertaining, with interesting characters and good writing.

Going back to FMA, I've been watching that on Cartoon Network, and it has really started to blow my mind! It reminds of "Lost" in a sense, where there is this massive narrative that has been hidden for the entire series up until now, and the big picture starts to come together... but there are still so many questions. And the fight/action scenes and animation have been stepped up a notch as well. I'm getting the DVD set, definitely.
-John Crichton

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2005, 07:31 AM

No offense dudes, but one thing that totally put me off anime is the complete lack of humor in it. It is as if nothing funny ever happens in japanese cartoon world. I find that both strange and quite boring. I watched quite a bit of anime as a kid but damn.
Out of curiosity, what sorts of anime did you watch? It's true that there's a lot of serious anime out there, and that stuff tends to be the most popular both in Japan and in the US, but there's also a lot of comedy. For raw f'ed-upitude it's difficult to beat Excel Saga, though Elf Princess Rane comes close and has the advantage of fitting onto only one DVD.

Romantic comedy has a long and proud tradition in anime. If fanservice isn't your thing then good stuff can be hard to find, but I recommend Marmalade Boy. Decent comedy, impressive plot, Gordian tangle of relationships, very little fanservice, and it completely eats your soul after two episodes. It does have the disadvantage of being available only in DVD boxed sets, though, and the Tokyopop translation isn't as good as the old Tomodachi fansubs (though admittedly, that was the arguably second-finest fansub ever produced).

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (sold abroad as His and Her Circumstances, or Kare Kano in the manga's case) has some comedic moments in the beginning, and some of the best romantic scenes in all of anime. However, avoid it if you're looking for comedy, because after Episode 18 the director left and things turned very dark very quickly. Once again, the Tokyopop translation isn't as good as the old Pero-Pero fansubs (though admittedly, that was arguably the finest fansub ever produced). Episode 18 of the series was also sort of edited (though only sort of; they added a little footage for the Japanese DVD release which wasn't on TV, and the English translation uses the TV version). This was at the Japanese company's insistence, and they supposedly have no intention of allowing the complete episode to be released over here.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 06:58 PM

For anyone who has seen Ghost in the shell.

What is the name of the song in the opening title? Sounds like Chinese Opera kids.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
For anyone who has seen Ghost in the shell.

What is the name of the song in the opening title? Sounds like Chinese Opera kids.
For the first movie, it's "Making Of Cyborg" by Kenji Kawai.

For the TV show, the two main themes are called "Inner Universe" for Season 1 and "Rise" for Season 2, both by Yoko Kanno.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 12:22 AM

The latest insane comedy I've been watching is Paniponi Dash. It starts off like this:

and only goes up from there. Out of nowhere pop culture references, 4th wall breaking direction, etc. Why is the youngest person to graduate MIT teaching high school in Japan? Why are aliens observing her? Why does God live in a vending machine, dispensing warm drinks? Who knows!

Why is class representative Ichijou-san in league with Agent K and the Men In Black?

Where did the rest of the class get ahold of Airwolf?
( Last edited by ReggieX; Mar 3, 2006 at 12:30 AM. )

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2006, 01:27 AM

Right now for me it has to be FLCL.

And right behind it, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

How bout you?

-Owl
My favorite anime motion picture is "Spirited Away (「千と千尋の神隠し」)," by Hayao Miyazaki. This was the movie that convinced me to move from New York to Tokyo.

My favorite anime TV series is the epic "MONSTER," by Naoki Urasawa. The story is about a genius surgeon, Genzou Tenma, who saves the life of a young boy with a bullet in his brain, Johan. The boy later grows up to thank Tenma, and to murder one person after another without the slightest hesitation.... I love the way that this series portrays something that could easily happen in real life, yet is more sinister than even the darkest of vampire stories ... Naoki Urasawa is a genius!

-- DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2006, 03:17 AM

I've become a bit of a Bleach addict, myself. I'm a bit bummed that it got licensed so all of the good groups of dropped it.

Monster had a lot of promise, but is draaaaaging out. About every half 4th episode or so is pretty cool, still, so I'm still watching it.

As for what I'd recommend: definitely Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Samurai X, etc. Trigun is still my favorite, though Haibane Renmei is up there.

I'm still surprised by the staying power of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien in the number one spot of Animenfo's top 200 list. Well, not totally, because it is a good anime, I just can't figure out if there's a specific demographic it appeals to that would be more likely to frequent that site or not. To sum up: a single soap opera-esque plot twist leads to an emotional train wreck that can be summed up with the phrase, "What we have here is a failure to communicate." The characters are well done, and the animation is good. I've also heard that the company that made it normally makes ecchi anime (my understanding is that's roughly equivalent to soft-core porn), but this anime is anything but.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2006, 08:38 PM

Yeah, I had been liking Bleach too.

Mushishi is a new one that is getting downloaded in droves, its an episodic anime about little creatures most can not see called Mushishi. Its really well done. I am sure it will be licensed.

The new Hellsing: Ultimate looks like it might turn out awesome, and put the original to shame in terms of following the Manga story.

Rec is turning out to be a nice little anime. Its about a Girl who wants to become a voice actress and a guy advertising agency. The girl is obsessed with Audrey Hepburn, and every episode is named after one of her movies. Each episode is only 15 mins long, but are filled quite well.

ReggieX: Pani Poni Dash looks crazy. As someone who loved FMP, Excel Saga, and had lotss of fun watching Bobobobobobo (Japanese) just for the sheer stupidness, I will have to check it out!

-Owl
( Last edited by OwlBoy; Mar 26, 2006 at 08:50 PM. )

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 01:44 AM

Appleseed 2 is in the works
I watch Appleseed about once a month, then loan my copy out to a couple select people so they can get their Appleseed fix as well. I still love the show because it is pure eye crack. A #2 will give me a bit more variety in my anime rotation!
In any given month my daughter (5 years old) wants to watch at least one of out Ghibli films my daughter loves (Naussicä, Totoro, Laputa, Spirited Away, Mononoke, Howl's, the Cat Returns) and Appleseed (which my daughter loves as well).

Still waiting for Wizard of Earthsea, which may have a 2007 US release.
( Last edited by Rev-O; Nov 4, 2006 at 02:26 AM. )
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2006, 02:24 AM

Before anyone freaks out about the age of this thread please take a look though it…

Ergo Proxy - This is a really cool action / sci-fi anime.
Full Metal Alchemist - Wow, I finnaly got a chance to watch the whole thing. It kicks so much ass. And the movie is really good too!
Howl's Moving Castle - Turned out to be an ok movie, not as great as Spirited Away, but good.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - The first episode is the best first episode ever.

Anyone have any recent recommendations?

-Owl

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
Before anyone freaks out about the age of this thread please take a look though it…

Ergo Proxy - This is a really cool action / sci-fi anime.
Full Metal Alchemist - Wow, I finnaly got a chance to watch the whole thing. It kicks so much ass. And the movie is really good too!
Howl's Moving Castle - Turned out to be an ok movie, not as great as Spirited Away, but good.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - The first episode is the best first episode ever.

Anyone have any recent recommendations?

-Owl
Not so much, but the trailer for Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea) looks painfully dull. Music is beautiful tho. Cannot imagine Ghibli making a dull movie about Earthsea! In spite of the trailer, I consider this one a must see.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 03:21 AM

Has anyone seen Chrono Crusade? It is obviously influenced by Chrono Trigger/Cross from Square (as well as some Inuyasha), but otherwise seems to have little in common with it except for the title, one or two character names, and time travel. I can't tell what to think from the trailers (the synopsis is interesting), but I may pick it up and take a chance on it.
-John Crichton

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:21 AM

FLCL and Cowboy Bebop are awesome. Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite shows period.

mac1896
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 10:20 PM

3 movies.

L.I.L.Y. Cat

Akira

Space Battleship Yamato (one of the movies adapted from the STARBLAZERS TV series).
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 01:46 AM

Samurai Champloo.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2006, 03:21 AM

The Melancholy Of Harhuhi Suzumiya is one of the best shows in a long time.
Black Lagoon should satisfy the adrenaline junkies out there looking for action and bullets flying.
Ergo Proxy could have been the best sci-fi show this year, but faltered under its own crapulence. I've never seen a show go on such a rollercoaster ride between brilliance and suck as much as Ergo Proxy. Oh well.

Oh, and the fansubs for Legend Of The Galactic Heroes are continuing sporadically.

Forum Links
Forum Rules