Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bat Hunting at 4:00am

Bat Hunting at 4:00am
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 10:34 PM

http://owlboy.com/blog/?p=136

I found we had a bat in our house last night, so I got out my video camera to make a vlog entry.

Thought some of you might find it interesting

I really like h.264, I just wish it was more commonly installed at this point, like Quicktime 5, and then 6.

-Owl

pathogen
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 10:49 PM

Ooh, cool!
Still, I'm surprised the file size is still so large (for the big one), compared to DivX and what not. What settings did you use?
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 10:50 PM

Oh I so would have run like a girl... wait I am a girl... You MADE your wife/mother/friend get it? Niiiiceee.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 10:53 PM

We get so many bats in our house. I have no idea where they come from, but one night last summer, there were 3 bats flying around in the living room at once. And, even worse, another night last summer, something woke me up, so i sat up, and a bat had landed on my pillow, right next to my head. I'll post some pictures i got of another bat that we trapped between the window screen and the glass.

edit:

"I start fires!"

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 10:54 PM

Sounded pissed when it was grabbed.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 10:58 PM

My mother went and caught it, I just wanted to film

pathogen I kept the bitrate kind of high on the big one since the video is so grainy in many parts, grainy video starts looking 2x as bad at low bit rates. And is ain't that big for how long and big the video is

-Owl

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
We get so many bats in our house. I have no idea where they come from, but one night last summer, there were 3 bats flying around in the living room at once. And, even worse, another night last summer, something woke me up, so i sat up, and a bat had landed on my pillow, right next to my head. I'll post some pictures i got of another bat that we trapped between the window screen and the glass.

edit:
Whoa, that one looks huge!

-Owl

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Whoa, that one looks huge!

-Owl
i think it's around the same size as the one you got, from the looks of your video. there's just no context to really tell in that picture.

oh, and nice catch by your cat

"I start fires!"

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 1, 2005, 11:41 PM

They're not vampire bats. Who gives a ****. Catch them, throw them outside, and be happy they're killing like 500 mosquitos an hour.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 11:53 PM

Wow, that was some catch Jack made. I wonder if he knew it wasn't a birdie?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 12:26 AM

bats are certainly great for keeping the insect population down (mosquitos)...if it wasn't for the high rate of rabies that they carry....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 12:55 AM

They eat their weight in bugs every night. I'm happy to see them, even in my house.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blur
bats are certainly great for keeping the insect population down (mosquitos)...if it wasn't for the high rate of rabies that they carry....
Wild animals accounted for 93% of reported cases of rabies in 2001. Raccoons continued to be the most frequently reported rabid wildlife species (37.2% of all animal cases during 2001), followed by skunks (30.7%), bats (17.2%), foxes (5.9%), and other wild animals, including rodents and lagomorphs (0.7%).
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabie...Wild%20Animals

Railroader
Banned
Aug 2, 2005, 03:03 AM

I put a bat house in the side of my house a couple years ago. The bug population dropped dramatically. I highly recommend them.

We haven't had any bats in our house in about a year. But before that we'd catch one every two months or so.

Our cat used to catch one every now and then. Then only thing she was good for. She'd leave them in the middle of the bathroom and I'd usually step on them in the morning. She'd be sitting right by it with a look of "see what I did" written all over her face.

We bought this bat house. From their website:
Made with the highest quality cedar, which weathers well and retains heat. The house is fully caulked and offers a longer design which is a key factor in occupancy. Thinner chambers give protection from predators, the inside is covered with a polyethylene mesh to aid in maneuverability and there is an extra long landing platform. Proper bat house design is a very important factor in occupancy. OBC bat houses have a greater than 80% occupancy rate, as compared to only 10% with some other designs.

Holds up to 300 bats. Proceeds go back into conservation work.

Triple-celled bat houses tend to work quicker and for longer periods (i.e. throughout spring, summer, and fall). These houses are especially good for larger backyards (more than one acre) or agricultural areas.
I stained it black and hung it on the South facing wall of our house.

boardsurfer
Aug 2, 2005, 03:54 AM

I watched the vid a while ago. Your cat is the shiz. Nice catch with the camera. You were remarkably calm when it flew by you into the next room (right before you tripped.) I would have been freakin out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules