Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Visual Voicemail Question

Visual Voicemail Question
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 01:33 AM

Is visual voicemail automatically setup or I need to go in and change some settings? Right now there's nothing "visual" about my voicemail. When I click on the voicemail icon, the key pad is displayed and the iPhone dials into my voicemail # like a normal phone. How do I get it show a list of voicemail messages like in the demo videos?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2007, 05:57 AM

Most interesting. Were you an existing AT&T customer? I wasn't, and I saw a screen which told me to click a button to record a greeting. I didn't find any Settings to reset the greeting on the iPhone. Perhaps you can get AT&T support to reset your greeting state?
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Is visual voicemail automatically setup or I need to go in and change some settings? Right now there's nothing "visual" about my voicemail. When I click on the voicemail icon, the key pad is displayed and the iPhone dials into my voicemail # like a normal phone. How do I get it show a list of voicemail messages like in the demo videos?
Did it ask you to record a greeting? When I first clicked Voicemail, it prompted me to enter a password and to optionally record a greeting. Does it show that you have voicemail? Mine works as expected. I would call AT&T about that or try resetting the iPhone.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 09:21 AM

You have to be within EDGE coverage to use visual voicemail. Check for the blue E at the top of your iPhone screen.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2007, 09:58 AM

When you set up visual voicemail for the first time, it appears that you are recording a greeting on the phone itself with a graphical interface. Once you are done, it uploads the greeting to the ATT system. I think this is the part that requires the EDGE connection (but you probably can't start the process without EDGE?)...
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 10:14 AM

That's interesting. I did record a greeting but I don't think I had Edge on. I was at home using my WiFi connection. I'l stop by the AT&T store and see if they can reset my voicemail.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Lava Lamp Freak
Jul 3, 2007, 10:29 AM

Does voicemail sound bad for anyone else? It doesn't sound anywhere near the quality of a phone call to me.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 11:11 AM

Just got a voicemail this morning and it sounded great to me. Sounded a little tinny, but it was loud and clear.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 11:13 AM

Not sure if it will work over WiFi when an EDGE connection is unavailable.

As the sound quality, no, I don't think it sounds as good as a voice call but it's fine for me. Basically the voicemail is recorded on AT&T's side, compressed and sent to your iPhone over EDGE (this caused a delay of about 45 to 60 seconds after I hung up when leaving a test voicemail for myself) where it is stored in memory. Nice thing about this is that it is stored indefinitely so no expiration that I know of.

Forum Links
Forum Rules