Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Madden NFL 08: How is it?

Madden NFL 08: How is it?
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 05:26 PM

Anybody go out and buy Madden NFL 08 today? If so, how is it?

I'm torn in getting the Wii edition, or the XBOX 360 edition. Reviews seem to be all over the board on both systems from what I've found.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 07:47 PM

Dang, I have neither gaming system but am so torn on getting one. But it made need to come with a good divorce lawyer if I do. Decisions, decisions.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 08:42 PM

Haha, your wife "Wii"ll understand.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 10:24 PM

I've got the 360 and Wii right now. The Wii is all I'm currently playing.

Of course, my 360 is being "repaired" right now, but you know...

I'm going to pick up Madden for Wii tomorrow. I'll post my impressions.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm going to pick up Madden for Wii tomorrow. I'll post my impressions.
Thanks, I look forward to the review.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 03:02 PM

Got it, and..........not impressed.

They did fix the kicking (thank God), but it's very much like last year. You could pretty much say this about all Maddens though. It's no prettier, at least it doesn't seem like it to me. A few improvements in single-player. I haven't checked out online play, however. In all...it's just Madden. I'd give it a 7/10.

I did get a chance to play the 360 version. While it's pretty, it's still Madden, just like the other consoles. I guess I've played so much Madden over the years that I'm just sick of it. I've been a fan since the first Madden on Genesis, but I'm finally getting tired of the whole thing. The only way this game is fun to me anymore is if I'm playing a friend (not online, in person).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 01:42 AM

Wasn't Madden supposed to come to the Mac platform this year?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 02:24 AM

The new Madden is a great improvement over 07. I just got it today (360 version) so I've only played a couple games so far but right away the improvements are noticeable. The graphics are MUCH better then last year, imo: more detailed, plus player movements are much more lifelike. The way they've meshed cutscenes into the live gameplay makes it feel like your interactiing with Monday Night Football = very cool.

Overall the interface feels much more responsive then last years edition too. The gameplay is much quicker fps wise (don't know the exact specs on it, but the fps sure seem a lot higher in 08 then in 07) and my pet peeve from last year has been fixed: the interactive menus in the game don't lag like hell.

Feature wise I think they've really improved the gameplay as well. Hot routes and audibling are now much easier. Defensively there is also much more control for the defense on the fly which is really nice - the ability to customize the way the defense will react, keying on specific oposition players to cover is very cool.

As I said, I've only played a couple of games - haven't touched on online or franchise play yet. When I do I'll post again.

-Q-
Aug 17, 2007, 10:48 AM

Played the Wii version on Tuesday and it was fun. The use of the wiimote definitely adds a different dimension to the game for me. There are two 'skill levels' to the game based on using the nunchuk or not. With out it, the computer controls most of the player's movements, you just make the determination of when to throw or when to use the spin move, etc. With the nunchuk, you control a lot more of the action.

I did notice I took a few more sacks than intended due to a lack of response. Rapid, frantic, large movements don't work particularly well and oftentimes don't register with the Wii. In Madden's defense, I've also noticed this with Wii Sports - sometimes the system just can't keep up. Keeping your movements smaller and more under control seemed to remove this issue for me.

There are some great 'party game' options available in the Wii version of the game that were almost as fun as the game itself.

Overall, I'd recommend the Wii version based on my experience with it. But I haven't played the 360 version so I really have no basis for comparison other than just having fun with the Wii version.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 03:16 PM

After playing Madden (Wii) for a few more hours, I feel it's just too unresponsive and awkward to convince myself to play several seasons of football. Sometimes I give a quick flick of the wrist, and the QB unloads a cannon throw. Sometimes I do (what feels like) the same thing, and a slow lob is the result of my seizure-like shaking. The motion controls just aren't as responsive as they should be in Madden.

I'm taking it back tomorrow and picking up the 360 version.

I love Zelda, SPM, and RE4 on the Wii, but sports games don't seem like they're going to be the system's strength. I still don't own Strikers though.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 10:07 PM

"EA clarifies that Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 and Madden NFL 08 will not be available until "the September/October window".

EA first announced that they would be releasing these Mac titles during the WWDC keynote in June 2007."

Mac Rumors: EA Delays Release Of Mac Port Of Madden 08

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 03:10 AM

So I just tried my first online game in Madden 08 and I am even more impressed now. In 07, the lag during online play was always noticeable and often unbearable compared to playing offline. The online play in 08 is awesome, though. Very nearly lag free, to the point where I would have forgotten that I was playing online if it wasn't for they guy I was playing using a blitz on every second defensive play.

EA really put the effort into this game and it has paid off big time.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, I'm on a 3 Mb connection, though it realistically tops off at around 2.5 Mb.

Forum Links
Forum Rules