Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 57)
Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2011, 07:32 PM

I don't own BO so for me it's either MW2 or Reach/Portal 2 tonight.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 20, 2011, 09:51 AM

I'm sure a lot of it is the 1 1/2 - 2 months off from gaming, but god-damn I love this game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 10:50 AM

Good lord that was a murderous round of gaming last night. The connections were abysmal (Black Ops is better than last night's average) and the amount of mics in each lobby signaled the more serious/competitive players were on. I went negative sooo many times.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 03:44 PM

In the same night, I've had wildly different games. If I'm doing really badly, I switch to 'arsehole class' (OMA, noob tube, smoke) and sit back from the action.

Been enjoying the FAL with Sleight of Hand Pro.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 03:47 PM

If there's one tidbit of knowledge I've gleaned from the past week, it's that some of my friends are some really cheap bastards.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If there's one tidbit of knowledge I've gleaned from the past week, it's that some of my friends are some really cheap bastards.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 03:59 PM

I'll put it this way, no one really respects hard core camping, MLC, or OMADC, but I will certainly tolerate them when the situation calls for it. However when it becomes clear these are the only strategies your friends have left to rely on, it's pretty pathetic. Especially when some of these people will bitch after the first OMADC tube kills them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2011, 04:07 PM

I'll use DC (no OMA) when I start sucking it up, or if the other team heavily relies on it. I forgo MLC because I've never been all that successful with it.

The more I snipe the more I realize the term 'quick-scoper' does not apply to me. To me, a quick-scoper runs around and uses the Intervention as a shotgun, whereas I locate a target, scope in (which is real fast thanks to SoH) while holding my breath and blast them away. I'm sure on their end, watching the killcam, it may look like I don't fully scope in before I shoot, but that isn't the case.

Going back over old posts it seems my game last night of 37-7 tied my previous best on Wasteland. Darn it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'll use DC (no OMA) when I start sucking it up, or if the other team heavily relies on it.
Like I said if the situation calls for it. And you have the decency not to use OMA.

The more I snipe the more I realize the term 'quick-scoper' does not apply to me. To me, a quick-scoper runs around and uses the Intervention as a shotgun, whereas I locate a target, scope in (which is real fast thanks to SoH) while holding my breath and blast them away. I'm sure on their end, watching the killcam, it may look like I don't fully scope in before I shoot, but that isn't the case.
Yeah, I only got quickscoped once or twice last night, but I did deal with the numerous times. It's hard to hate on them.

Going back over old posts it seems my game last night of 37-7 tied my previous best on Wasteland. Darn it.
I don't have the patience or direction to go find what my best game is.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 04:17 PM

OMA isn't only good for noob tubes. You can setup 2 classes, one with claymores and one with C4 to really protect an area well. Then of course there's the (IMHO) small amount of ammo that you get with the scar. Yeah yeah pilager but why not just get it when you want instead of having to run over little blue camera bags?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 04:19 PM

Trust me, I used to use OMA army legitimately, it's just inefficient, particularly because it eats up two slots in your example. If you're having trouble with ammo and the SCAR just use Scavenger and be done with it. Only time you'll have trouble with ammo is when you're camping hard.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 04:53 PM

You're talking about Saint, right?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 05:03 PM

No, saint is likely the most honorable one from what I've seen.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 05:34 PM

Maybe it was Subie. I remember someone noob tubing me with DC during our first meet up last week.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:28 PM

I've been switching between Black Ops and MW2 the last several nights. I will be starting the definitive MW2 vs Black Ops thread, wherein I will lay down my final thoughts on either game's strengths and weaknesses...and naming a victor.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 04:32 PM

I look forward to picking apart your final decision to hell and back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:38 PM

I don't think anything I'm bringing to the table is going to be anything shocking, but the past week has been quite an experince switching back and forth.

Both games trump the other in several areas, but there can be, only, one!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 04:39 PM

Yeah, but you already made this call months ago, so I really will be surprised if you pull out a stunning reversal here.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 04:39 PM

...until MW3.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 04:45 PM

Nah, we already know that will suck.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 04:54 AM

Nah, we already know that will suck.
It certainly has all the ingredients, but I will stick my often wrong neck out and say "MW3 will turn out to be the most amazing online FPS since CoD began!"

Sales may not be as good, but I have a feeling that those that liked CoD4 and MW2 will be satisfied. Patches, glitches need to be fixed QUICKLY though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2011, 11:15 AM

Well, it finally happened last night; The pinnacle of MW2 stereo-typical gaming occurred.

Five of us on, we finally got into a lobby with another clan of five. Lobby filled out and we go to game. It starts out amazingly slow, but one thing is clear. There is tubing.

Quickly we note there is also camping. Then it becomes abundantly clear the tubing is random. The clan is OMADCing it up and just mortaring any location they see ad nauseum. This goes on for most of the match until at some point, a few of the clan change over to a running class to close, at which point we take a close game and gain a safe margin of victory.

Really, it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

More annoying is the connections I've been getting the past two weeks just suck. Flat out. Best I'm getting seems to be in the 110 - 125 ms+ range, and usually the stupid lobby will get a host migration that takes my already weak three bar and cripples it to a two. The amount of killcams I've seen where I haven't fired lately are too numerous to count.

Considering this is the most populous playlist in the the second most played game on XBOX Live, that's a little scary. Yeah, we're talking only 90 - 110k online, but when I was playing COD4 back in May I swear the connection quality was roughly similar. With a player population of under 20k.

The bad voodoo continues to infest fatty's connection who really needs to start getting host before MW3, for all our sakes.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 01:07 PM

Must of been those "damn west coast players" bringing your connection down last night... oh wait.

I blame hurricane Irene.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2011, 10:55 AM

Ahhhh, nothing like some HC TDM to re-assure you that Activision can make a fookin great game. Even with only 8000 people playing.

Forgotten how much I love the ACR.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2011, 07:27 AM

Did anyone, ever, even when drunk, like the WA2000? I mean what a POS.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2011, 03:03 AM

Forgot to mention it, had a PC gamer play with my Xbox over the weekend. He was most impressed with the feedback system saying that it really added to the atmosphere.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I still find it more usable than the M21. I was using the ACOG with it (for challenges) this weekend. Quite usable.

Forgot to mention it, had a PC gamer play with my Xbox over the weekend. He was most impressed with the feedback system saying that it really added to the atmosphere.
Feedback system?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2011, 10:57 AM

From my vague memory, I seem to remember the WA2000 being the weakest of the sniper rifles (except for the M21) and requiring a 2-shot kill.

The M21 is more or less what it is, a mix between an AR and a sniper rifle.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Feedback system?
I believe he's referring to the rumble pack or vibration of the Xbox controller. Something you don't get with a keyboard and mouse. Unless of course you count the rumble of the bass speaker in a home theatre added to the PC/Mac. The rumble of the UT2004 tank was excellent on the logitech speakers.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2011, 11:03 AM

I'm going to have to play some MW2 in October, before MW3 comes out, so I'm familiar with the feel of the game again. I haven't been in MW2 since December or ealier.

After all, I have pre-ordered MW3.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2011, 04:54 PM

I still find it more usable than the M21. I was using the ACOG with it (for challenges) this weekend. Quite usable.
Yeah well you never raise and lower sniper rifles, being the uber camper that you are. I mean for people that actually MOVE.

Feedback system?
The vibrating thingy in the controller.

--------

Doing the F2000 challenges.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2011, 04:58 PM

Yeah well you never raise and lower sniper rifles, being the uber camper that you are. I mean for people that actually MOVE.
Man, don't fall of your horse. Scopes give too little FOV for me to hard-scope constantly.

Edit: Speaking of which, went 13-0 on Storm sniping from the raised spawn last night. The kids were terrible however. (Nailed one with my clever claymore though)

The vibrating thingy in the controller.
I believe they call it "Vibration". Difficult to remember, I understand.

Doing the F2000 challenges.
Try FMJ challenges on an SMG. Might as well just stick the gun up your own ass.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2011, 09:32 PM

Try FMJ challenges on an SMG. Might as well just stick the gun up your own ass.
Dual wield SMG with FMJ on scrapyard or trailer park. But you likely knew that.

I think I got the FMJ challenge on an SMG or 2.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2011, 05:01 PM

Just boosted my highest killstreak from 23 to 29 on Favela. Harrier, Chopper Gunner and then Pavelow (yes in that order). Match finished before the Pavelow had.

I've been trying to get the Fall camo for the assault rifles and something that I hadn't noticed until recently : I have not finished all challenges for any weapon. I'm closest for the Barrett but still have 250 headshots to get that gold badge thingy. The closest AR is the Scar and I'm not even on level III yet.

Anyone else like that or do you use a couple of weapons to death?

Forum Links
Forum Rules