Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo: Reach

View Poll Results: Are you buying it?
Poll Options:
Well, yeah! 7 votes (38.89%)
Probably. It's not at the top of my list though. 2 votes (11.11%)
Nope. I hate Halo. 6 votes (33.33%)
I'm holding off; I don't know if I'm interested anymore 3 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Halo: Reach (Page 8)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Halo requires a much bolder approach and a much more aggressive style of play. Hanging back nets you nothing, no special weapons no special vehicles no special areas. I'e done well at Reach, and Halo in general, because I play balls to the wall. Even if your shields are down and somebody is in front of you, all you have to do is jump around a little, spam some nades and hope for the best. It's a whole different approach from a game like MW2.
Funny, I found being bold netted me lots of DMR fire from half a map away. Unless it was on the Reflection map, in which case, being bold netted me some dude who was at the top ready for me. It also strikes me as counter-intuitive with the presence of constant radar.

I also despise the role grenades play in this game. I hear players deride the AR as pay and spray but they essentially use the grenades as hail mary bombs.

Sorry to tell you sek, but every time I play conservative I've done much better.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 03:49 PM

I'll be on early today, but off early (somewhat) too. Looking at 2p - 8p my time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2010, 03:53 PM

Befroe Halo 2, and the BR, Halo was more of a CQB type of game with sniping thrown in.
That sounds like more fun. (Though maybe not, since once people start jumping CQ it feels like a luckfest)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Funny, I found being bold netted me lots of DMR fire from half a map away. Unless it was on the Reflection map, in which case, being bold netted me some dude who was at the top ready for me. It also strikes me as counter-intuitive with the presence of constant radar.

I also despise the role grenades play in this game. I hear players deride the AR as pay and spray but they essentially use the grenades as hail mary bombs.

Sorry to tell you sek, but every time I play conservative I've done much better.
Every time I play conservative I go negative or very low scores. Those two first games we played that I was a brick sh!thouse? I was being as bold as bold can be.

The problem with us being bold is that, as least this is true for me, I have no idea where anything is. I haven't seen the spawn point for a special weapon once, I don't know where most grav lifts are, etc etc. If we play against a team that already has the maps down-pat then we are in trouble no matter what the strategy. That is the same gripe we have always have with Halo, it's a rush for the good stuff, and if you don't even know where the good stuff is you're ****ed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2010, 03:57 PM

Every time I play conservative I go negative or very low scores. Those two first games we played that I was a brick sh!thouse? I was being as bold as bold can be.
Like I said, I think it's a question of raw skill. You yourself said you're likely one of those pricks that always headshots. Take that away. Does that change your gameplay?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2010, 04:01 PM

I don't know how anyone plays without getting headshots.

I think we may end up getting the most enjoyment out of Forge/Custom games. That way we could set no DMR, lots of extra vehicles, and do away with kids who have already played the game to death somehow.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2010, 04:11 PM

Dude, two weapons in the game rely on headshots. That's awful.

Anyway, the answer to your question is: They melee incessantly (Two-piece!). It's too bad I'm now a step slow thanks to using the B button, so I'm getting slaughtered at that, too.

Edit: Yes, I forgot about grenade spamming.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 17, 2010, 04:11 PM

I think we may end up getting the most enjoyment out of Forge/Custom games. That way we could set no DMR, lots of extra vehicles, and do away with kids who have already played the game to death somehow.
Honestly without grenades and headshots I would be terrible at this game

Although last night i was going fu*kin nuts with the ghost which usually annoyes me

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 17, 2010, 04:14 PM

Anyway, the answer to your question is: They melee incessantly (Two-piece!). It's too bad I'm now a step slow thanks to using the B button, so I'm getting slaughtered at that, too.
I do that

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2010, 04:18 PM

I need to find Dakar the episode of Red vs Blue where they wind up in the middle of a bunch of Halo gamers (the red gamers and blue gamers come out, fight, die, and then it starts ALL over again). It perfectly demonstrates his point. But I can't remember what episode number it is.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2010, 04:21 PM

Given that I somehow I have a positive k/d, yet claim I have no skill at this game, I think it's worth noting I'm currently 22-0 with the rocket launcher (which is why I start high-fiving people when the map I know where it's at on comes up).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2010, 04:25 PM

The problem with us being bold is that, as least this is true for me, I have no idea where anything is. I haven't seen the spawn point for a special weapon once, I don't know where most grav lifts are, etc etc. If we play against a team that already has the maps down-pat then we are in trouble no matter what the strategy. That is the same gripe we have always have with Halo, it's a rush for the good stuff, and if you don't even know where the good stuff is you're ****ed.
That's what everyone says.

For Halo 3, after I started I went to a website that showed the maps and where everything is. Another suggestion to solve this is to go into forge and explore the map.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
For Halo 3, after I started I went to a website that showed the maps and where everything is. Another suggestion to solve this is to go into forge and explore the map.
I need to do this for that map where everyone snipes from the god damn top of the mountain.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2010, 05:05 PM

Sorry guys, I promised you pics last night but I ended up finishing the game around 2am. I'll post some pics when I get home.

We ended up beating the game on Legendary (well sort of). My brother lost his internet connection during the 9th mission. I couldn't send him an invite while the game was in progress so I had to back out and reload the game at the last checkpoint. When we finally finished the mission (which was the worst in the campaign btw), the achievement never popped up. So now we have to go back and replay the mission from the beginning.

Playing on Legendary was ****ing brutal but I really enjoyed the campaign. Bungie did a excellent job of bridging the ending of Reach with the beginning of Halo CE. I just wished I knew about this easter egg before beating the game.

*** Warning Major Spoilers in the link below***
Halo Reach Easter Egg - Kotaku

When do you guys plan on going through the campaign? I will be happy to go through it again with you guys.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 17, 2010, 05:06 PM

who do we got playing tonight?
I should be on around 9pm EST

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2010, 05:12 PM

I've discovered that if you start as the blue team on The Cage, you can quickly go down the ramp to the left, hide behind the short wall, and wait for a red player to inevitably launch into that area for a quick assassination. Unfortunately, my brilliant teammate threw a grenade that landed perfectly in between us, and as soon as I got the kill, the grenade went off. It did result in a pretty cool moment though:

This game just keeps growing on me. I'm irritated that I've had such a busy week; I've barely been able to play at all. Tonight I have to make my second trip of the week to Mid-Southern LA, so it'll be Saturday afternoon before I get a chance to log in some serious hours.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2010, 05:19 PM

Also, the jet pack is incredibly useful (i.e. cheap) on Zealot. When you launch through the ceiling shields into the lower gravity, you can give the jet pack a tap every few seconds and levitate, watching and waiting for the perfect time to drop back through the shields onto an unsuspecting opponent.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Sep 17, 2010 at 05:31 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2010, 06:28 PM

Playing Slayer on your own is difficult. Thats my excuse. 0.81 k/d

Enjoying it more than I thought I would. Seems more of a button mashing game than MW2 though. I'm confused about using the points for armour and decoration, do I need to? Will it protect me better or help when I rank up more (I'm only a sergeant atm)? I seem to always get the same few maps. Early days I guess. While the bunny hopping was what pissed me off in Halo3, it doesn't seem too bad in Reach. In fact the jet packs are a bit like clay pigeon shooting.

Oh, wtf with both people dieing in a melée?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2010, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Playing Slayer on your own is difficult. Thats my excuse. 0.81 k/d

Enjoying it more than I thought I would. Seems more of a button mashing game than MW2 though. I'm confused about using the points for armour and decoration, do I need to? Will it protect me better or help when I rank up more (I'm only a sergeant atm)? I seem to always get the same few maps. Early days I guess. While the bunny hopping was what pissed me off in Halo3, it doesn't seem too bad in Reach. In fact the jet packs are a bit like clay pigeon shooting.

First off, I was actually considering recommending that you not buy this game as per your instructions. I enjoy it, but I felt it was more similar to old Halo than you'd like. Anyways...

The game is not so much button mashing as quick transitions between shooting and melee. I hit just as many controls sniping in CoD as I do in Halo, but the timing isn't always so important. Sometimes the difference between jumping, throwing a nade or shooting is life or death in Halo. Then again the melee in Halo is less ridiculous than MW2 IMO.

The armor has no effect on your ability to be killed, it's all tinsel on the tree.

As for the melee double-kill, it's actually a lot better than it used to be. Now there is a built-in amount of lag (200ms I think), so if either of you hit the melee button in that space of time then you both die, instead of regular lag determining the outcome.

Rumor
Sep 18, 2010, 05:25 AM

You guys are still playing this?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2010, 06:16 AM

First off, I was actually considering recommending that you not buy this game as per your instructions. I enjoy it, but I felt it was more similar to old Halo than you'd like. Anyways...
I needed something to tide me over until Black Ops. MW2 is getting boring. Like I said, I'm enjoying it more than I thought that I would.

The armor has no effect on your ability to be killed, it's all tinsel on the tree.
OK cheers. Thought that I was missing out something.

I like the voting system, quick and efficient.

Anyone tried any custom maps yet?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2010, 12:12 PM

It's called honesty. Both people completed the prerequisites to create a kill within the confines of lag & CSHD. So both receive said kill. This can happen with the guns, too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
You guys are still playing this?
I have a mole inside your house who will inform me if you get this. This will set off an automated system of replies that will inform the participants of this thread to destroy their discs, so you have no one to play with.

I mean, yes, we are.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Also, the jet pack is incredibly useful (i.e. cheap) on Zealot. When you launch through the ceiling shields into the lower gravity, you can give the jet pack a tap every few seconds and levitate, watching and waiting for the perfect time to drop back through the shields onto an unsuspecting opponent.
You do know there's a platform up there you can just walk around on and not waste the effort doing what you said, right?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 18, 2010, 12:43 PM

Apsolid and myself played some 2v2 ARENA matches last night, I think it's my second favorite playlist after BTB, having a quality partner with good communication makes all the difference, most of the teams we played would split up... Bad idea

The ranking system is great, based on an average number of points per match (from k/d , w/l, length of life, etc.) I'm going to see if I can find an article that explains it better

Makes me think we should do some 2v2 custom matches
AP & me VS. Dakar & Fatty

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2010, 01:00 PM

Fatty would be better off with a random.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 18, 2010, 01:08 PM

Fatty and AP are pretty close and you and me are too, I think it would be a good match up,

Rumor
Sep 18, 2010, 01:23 PM

I have a mole inside your house who will inform me if you get this. This will set off an automated system of replies that will inform the participants of this thread to destroy their discs, so you have no one to play with.

I mean, yes, we are.
That sounds about right.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2010, 03:03 PM

Pretty pictures!!

After my first real session last night...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Fatty and AP are pretty close and you and me are too, I think it would be a good match up,
Sounds like a fair fight, I hate those...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2010, 04:34 PM

Got home around 2 after the bar, and played some multi and Firefight with Crosbie and my buddy Neil from Florida. He ended up really enjoying Rocketfight, which is quick becoming my wind-down scenario of choice.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 18, 2010, 04:44 PM

Sounds like a fair fight, I hate those...
So it's a date, we both know if you committ Dakar is in

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2010, 04:46 PM

Um, how do we know how the playlist will separate us into teams?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2010, 04:53 PM

Here's hoping for Fatty/AP versus Bogues/Dakar

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2010, 05:04 PM

Seems likely since the stogie/subie game.

Edit: At least I can spend the game bitching to Bogues about his idea.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2010, 05:33 PM

I'm getting a spanking in melées. I shoot (hitting them - I presume when the crosshairs are red that you are hitting the opponent), hit them in a melée, then they hit me and I die.

Oh and Invasion Sucks.

I'll end up getting ****ing Battlefield at this rate.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2010, 06:06 PM

My brother and I welcome all 2v2 challenges

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2010, 07:16 PM

I'm getting a spanking in melées. I shoot (hitting them - I presume when the crosshairs are red that you are hitting the opponent), hit them in a melée, then they hit me and I die.
The crosshairs are red if you are aiming at an enemy, but that doesn't mean every bullet you shoot is going to hit them, especially with the DMR.

If you are close to an enemy use two melees instead of shooting. As a melee is worth a decent amount of damage. Personally, I like to use grenades and melee when enemies get too close. I'll jump and bounce a nade off the ground while falling back, and then immediately rush the opponent and melee him once the grenade explodes.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2010, 09:24 PM

You do know there's a platform up there you can just walk around on and not waste the effort doing what you said, right?
Yeah, I tried that. You can't see as much of the map, and it's more difficult to get a precise drop on them.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2010, 11:38 PM

Okay, if we're going to post pics... I want to get some in... my first pic (I'll do better next time).

I'm the one driving... my fellow teammate who I drove around for 3-4 minutes in the warthog is shooting the ghost that's exploding...

about to squash another blue guy

By the way, I don't see anything wrong with the driving of the Warthog. Feels more like Halo 1. I'm gonna have fun with the thing.

I also had quite a few positive games Saturday... most of them CTF. I think I found game. Even got myself a couple of flag captures (thanks to some team members who love drivin'). Maybe I'll post some picks of the flag captures.
( Last edited by Leonard; Sep 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM. )
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2010, 03:02 PM

I'll be on sporadically all day.
( Last edited by sek929; Sep 19, 2010 at 11:59 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2010, 03:31 AM

The jury is still out. I either have a blast (nearly MW2 levels of fun) or I really hate it.

I need to try other game-types. Where can I choose whatever weapon that I want? Recommendations for when I'm on my own please.

Otherwise it seems that having a good team is far more important than being a good player - as in MW2.

Reflection sux.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2010, 08:59 AM

The jury is still out. I either have a blast (nearly MW2 levels of fun) or I really hate it.
Sounds like you're getting the normal Halo experience to me.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2010, 11:27 AM

I like Reflection although it is a pretty crappy sniper map.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I like Reflection although it is a pretty crappy sniper map.
I remember thinking in the previews that it's another one of the obnoxious wide-open maps bungie makes, but in retrospect, it's one with the most cover. I think I'm okay with it overall, so long as I'm not stuck playing one of the elite games on it.

---

So far my biggest gripe with the online stats is its too difficult to compare with other players. A MW2-like leaderboard with all your friends would be nice, too.

Oh, FYI:
Originally Posted by bungie
We’re seeing reports of players being booted for betrayals after just one measly stinkin’ team kill. Yup, it actually can and will happen, but as always, it’s a bit more nuanced than it appears to be on first glance. Currently Halo: Reach is using a betrayal system similar to the one employed by Halo 2, where players accumulate strikes against their betrayal count not just for straight up kills, but also for doing non-fatal damage to their teammates.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2010, 11:44 AM

Apparently the new bungie look:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2010, 11:59 AM

Reach Stat Bragging: Monday Edition™

So I've got about 8 hours in, mostly mutli, and I am very happy with the start I've had. Way better than H3 so far.

My closest competition (in general) is apsolid, at 6 hours in. Let's see how the top 2 stack up.

AP edges me out on K/D: 1.37 vs 1.62
31 games won: AP wins 72% Fatty wins 62%

I thoroughly trounce AP on multi-kill medals: 48 double kills to his 28, plus more triples and up.
I have double APs killing sprees: 34 to 18, but he has two more Frenzies, and a damn Running Riot.

Then there isn't much to write home about until you get to my most impressive medal stat. Kills by a headshot.

I have a whopping 240 kills by headshot, which is double APs, and almost beats the headshot counts for Dakar, Bogues and Stogie combined.

I am officially a douché-bag that only gets head-shots.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by bungie
We’re seeing reports of players being booted for betrayals after just one measly stinkin’ team kill. Yup, it actually can and will happen, but as always, it’s a bit more nuanced than it appears to be on first glance. Currently Halo: Reach is using a betrayal system similar to the one employed by Halo 2, where players accumulate strikes against their betrayal count not just for straight up kills, but also for doing non-fatal damage to their teammates.
That's good news, because I'm seeing quite a few team members with the bad habit of killing other members or disabling vehicles a team member is in, so they can steal the vehicle. I never could understand that bad habit. Someone got the vehicle, let them have it. Another option is, if you want it, you could speak up.

I booted one person already for this. And I'm the kind of guy that gives a team member the benefit of the doubt. If I believe it's accidental- an enemy was beside me and you grenaded both of us - ok, I won't boot you.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2010, 12:02 PM

AP edges me out on K/D: 1.37 vs 1.62
I don't know it what world that counts as getting "edged out". That's complete domination there.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 20, 2010, 12:10 PM

AP is a monster , honestly for a guy that prefers driving the warthog to trying to get a kill, he almost never goes negative

Forum Links
Forum Rules