Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can a store issue a credit to a debit card?

Can a store issue a credit to a debit card?
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2011, 02:14 PM

I just discovered that Trader Joe's over-charged me for a piece of frozen fish by about $5.

I live about 25 minutes away from them and I'm not planning on being in there again for about a week and a half.

What is the best way to get my credit?

I'm thinking that I could call and have them mail me a gift card for the $5. That is probably doable.

Or, would they be able to bring-up my transaction and issue a credit to my debit card over the phone?

This assumes that they believe me, and are willing to issue some type of credit over the phone and don't just think I'm calling them and trying to scam $5 out of them...

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2011, 02:23 PM

yes

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2011, 03:41 PM

The process is identical to the process of crediting a refund to a credit card. The clearinghouse organization handles it transparently. No sweat.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2011, 03:52 PM

That happened to me last year. Lowe's charged me for two items that I didn't even purchase. I e-mailed their customer service, and they found my receipt, issuing a return to my debit card. I

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2011, 04:52 PM

Yes.

But still one more reason to use credit cards, not debit cards. If I get overcharged, I just file a dispute with Amex. Done.

-t

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2011, 05:00 PM

Free 30 day no interest loan, plus unused balance ups your credit rating.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2011, 08:11 PM

You can file a dispute with debit cards too; the only dispute I ever filed was on a debit card (wamu) and it worked fine. I might have gotten better service with a credit card, or maybe not, but I got the money back so.... also 30 days of interest is worth bupkis these days and for the foreseeable future. Use credit cards for rebates or miles, not these irrelevant reasons.

Oh yeah, and don't make disputing the charge your first reaction, that's a real low blow to the retailer, who is someone you chose to do business with so they must deserve at least a little respect. Give them a chance to make it right on their own first, charge-backs cost them a lot of money and don't gain you anything.

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2011, 09:33 PM

You may want to go there and do it there. Last time I had a store screw up like that I got the item for free (Whole Foods). YMMV.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2011, 09:08 PM

This reminds me...

You should never, ever, under any circumstances use a debit card to place a deposit on a hotel room or anything else for that matter.

If you use a normal credit card, the charge goes against your available balance but is almost always reversed/credited immediately after you check out. The only thing that is affected is your available balance. Actual money is never transacted between the two parties.

If you use a debit card, cash is pulled out of your account. The cash is not returned until after you check out. Additionally, many banks do not process this transaction immediately. So you could be out that cash for several days, in some cases up to 30.

I used to work for a hotel and the desk clerks were trained to always specifically ask for a credit card and warn guests against using debit cards. Not having the deposit reverse immediately on a debit card was by far the number one customer complaint they had.
( Last edited by Arty50; Feb 16, 2011 at 06:40 PM. )
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2011, 01:28 PM

Debit cards are less safe than credit cards.

One is your money. One is theirs. Which would you rather have stolen?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

indigoimac
Senior User
Feb 18, 2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
This reminds me...

You should never, ever, under any circumstances use a debit card to place a deposit on a hotel room or anything else for that matter.

If you use a normal credit card, the charge goes against your available balance but is almost always reversed/credited immediately after you check out. The only thing that is affected is your available balance. Actual money is never transacted between the two parties.

If you use a debit card, cash is pulled out of your account. The cash is not returned until after you check out. Additionally, many banks do not process this transaction immediately. So you could be out that cash for several days, in some cases up to 30.

I used to work for a hotel and the desk clerks were trained to always specifically ask for a credit card and warn guests against using debit cards. Not having the deposit reverse immediately on a debit card was by far the number one customer complaint they had.
That is also because it's a different process behind it -- using the debit card is literally the same as cash in this situation for securing a room. For the credit card they would just hand you over to collections instantly - same as a rental car.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2011, 07:46 PM

I ended up going back to the store. They gave me a credit no problem.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Debit cards are less safe than credit cards.

One is your money. One is theirs. Which would you rather have stolen?
Yes, that's a good summary

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
I ended up going back to the store. They gave me a credit no problem.
See? You should have believed us in the first place.

Forum Links
Forum Rules