Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Webkit has HW acceleration

Webkit has HW acceleration
cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2011, 07:13 PM

I just tried yesterday's Webkit nightly and it supports hardware acceleration. Mozilla's site runs at about 16fps with Webkit, 5fps with Safari/Firefox/Chrome12, and 16fps with Opera 11.5. This may not be news to anyone and may have been in Webkit for months but this is the first I heard of it...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2011, 08:32 PM

Hardware acceleration of what?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Hardware acceleration of what?
Rendering ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Rendering ?

-t

Of HTML markup? What does that buy us? That's usually not a bottleneck.

What is HW accelerated in Webkit is CSS3 transitions (animations) which is very cool, although not new. Browsers that have not supported CSS3 transitions traditionally animated things using timer based Javascript, which is probably not GPU accelerated, although as you know there has been a lot of work in browser Javascript optimization, maybe it is possible to use your GPU to accelerate some Javascript stuff now, I don't know...

I was just trying to figure out what the original post pertained to, it is rather vague.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Rendering ?
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What is HW accelerated in Webkit is CSS3 transitions (animations) which is very cool, although not new. Browsers that have not supported CSS3 transitions traditionally animated things using timer based Javascript, which is probably not GPU accelerated, although as you know there has been a lot of work in browser Javascript optimization, maybe it is possible to use your GPU to accelerate some Javascript stuff now, I don't know...
That's exactly what I meant.

-t

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2011, 12:35 AM

Looks like accelerated canvas. Lion has this enabled by default.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine View Post
Looks like accelerated canvas. Lion has this enabled by default.

That makes sense!

That will also help projects like this thing that converts Flash to HTML5/Javascript, I'm assuming also utilizing Canvas:

Smokescreen |

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2011, 08:20 AM

I'm not entirely sure what is being accelerated, but Webkit runs the Firefox benchmark at a decent frame rate. This isn't something I specifically care about but it's good to see Apple's incorporated HW acceleration and OSX web users won't be left behind because until now only Opera 11 had any HW acceleration. I think the compositing is accelerated...not sure...though the rotating benchmark is much faster (~3x) in WebKit vs Safari.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 03:11 PM

Internet Explorer 10 Test Drive

Fishbowl and Speed Reading scores are still really low in WebKit. If you compare it to Win7/IE9 on the same machine you could cry.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2011, 12:48 AM

By default Lion Safari does fine at speed reading, 60 fps. It gets about 15 fps on the fishbowl demo. Until you turn Full Page Accelerated Drawing on, then it's a constant 60. That probably won't ship enabled by default and you'll have to turn on the Debug menu, not the Develop menu, to access it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules