Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Limits of Constitutional Rights on Academic Campuses

Limits of Constitutional Rights on Academic Campuses
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2009, 09:30 PM

I came across this article today and thought I would share it with you all.
Supreme Court takes case of student group that bars gay members | csmonitor.com

After a first read of the story I didn't have a problem with the school's actions as they get to say what can and cannot take place on campus.

But after a second read and more thought on the matter, I don't like the way the school's decision is being defended.

On the one hand, they do have the right to define parameters for how groups come together on their campus. At the same time, their parameters for group formation, by their very definition, seek maximum inclusivity. And in doing so, doesn't allow for groups to form on campus that want to have selective membership.

I'm torn. I want the university to be able to define the parameters for what takes place on campus. I also want students to be able to come together in self-selected groups as they see fit. There doesn't seem to be a good answer to these incompatible desires.

What do you all think about this matter?

<edited to add>
If this group receives campus funding, then yes, I would want them to adhere to campus rules about inclusivity. I don't want a public university funding a group that engages in discrimination.
On the other hand, if this groups receives no campus funding and is simply allowed use of a classroom for meetings, then I would be more amenable to allowing them to be discriminatory in their member-selection process.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Dec 7, 2009 at 09:38 PM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

finboy
Dec 7, 2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post

What do you all think about this matter?
Most campuses require inclusion in their groups to be able to reserve meeting space, recruit on campus (with flyers); it's part of their constitution or charter on file with the Student Affairs office or similar.

For this case, I think the group crosses the line. If they want to be closed, so be it. If the university provides meeting space for other "community" groups, then it should provide meeting space for these folks. But it's pretty clear that the non-discrimination policy required in the group's charter (for official recognition) won't be honored here.

At the same time, I think the school should monitor other groups to make sure they are being true to the non-discrimination policy and not discouraging members who have different beliefs from joining. (yeah, right)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2009, 10:30 PM

All I know is that higher education is a foundation of stupid thinking.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2009, 12:52 AM

My knee-jerk reaction is that the school, as a private institution, can set these sorts of rules. If the students have a problem with that, they should go to a different school.

Forum Links
Forum Rules