Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > There's little Apple could do to make me want an iPad 3

There's little Apple could do to make me want an iPad 3
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 02:48 PM

Retina display? Pixel real state is already considered HD in the App market
Quad core 2GHz CPU? Apps are already optimized for 800MHz thank you.
1080P video recording? As if I ever held an iPad on a tripod.
Siri? Do I hunch towards the iPad, or do I hold it against my face?

On the other hand...
128GB flash in the $500 model... I'll think about it
4G and LTE, as long as you leverage a deal with carriers as good as $30 unlimited
24 hour battery life... SOLD!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 05:39 AM

Dude... 128GB of flash from Apple? That's $500 right there.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 09:32 AM

I believe you can install Siri onto the iPad today if you are into the jailbreaking thing...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 06:07 PM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Retina display? Pixel real state is already considered HD in the App market
The HD moniker in the App Store is just marketing BS, there aren't enough pixels for 720p or 1080p content. Doubling up will allow it to cover full HD video.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2012, 06:26 PM

The HD name on apps is only there because the first ones came from iPhone apps and were 'HD' versions of those, like Flight Control HD.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The HD moniker in the App Store is just marketing BS, there aren't enough pixels for 720p or 1080p content. Doubling up will allow it to cover full HD video.
The iPad 1 and 2 are 768 lines tall in landscape, at an unknown frame rate. Doubling up will make it 1536 lines tall and fuzzy, interpolated 1080p will drive us to the mad house.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2012, 06:30 AM

The iPad 1 and 2 are 768 lines tall in landscape, at an unknown frame rate. Doubling up will make it 1536 lines tall and fuzzy, interpolated 1080p will drive us to the mad house.
Due to the difference in aspect ratio between the iPad and typical HD content, you wouldn't use all of the vertical resolution. You could display it pixel for pixel at 1920 wide and native height (for 16:9 or 2.4:1 or whatever) on a 300dpi class iPad and only waste 128 horizontal pixels (5%).

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2012, 07:48 AM

As an iOS iPad app developer, I will buy 2 of the next generation iPad, one with Cellular and one without.

Even if I weren't a developer, I'd buy a Cellular equipped iPad. I love this stuff.

P
Jan 23, 2012, 08:26 AM

The definition of "HD ready" for TVs is that it can accept certain input (HDCP-encoded data over DVI or HDMI) and that the display has at least 720 pixels vertically. Any display that meats this gets to use the HD logo. The rules say nothing about the horizontal resolution, as an earlier generation of plasmas generally had a resolution of 1024*768. It is not entirely uncommon to call anything with 1024*768 "HD" based on this definition.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2012, 01:05 PM

4G/LTE, better camera, solid geotagging, the speed that will come with much faster cpu. Those things IMO we will get and they alone more than justify a new model (better apps follow better cpus). Siri and added ports would be nice too.

Although I expect 4G/LTE capability in the iPad3, carriers' competence is another issue.

-Allen

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2012, 02:58 PM

In that case, it will carry the "2S" name to avoid high (or regular) expectations.

Let's face it, the economic recovery means that technology manufacturers on top of the game are going to take it easy in 2012.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2012, 06:50 PM

In that case, it will carry the "2S" name to avoid high (or regular) expectations.
I think not. IMO if it handles 4G/LTE and has a spiffy new cpu it should be v3.

Let's face it, the economic recovery means that technology manufacturers on top of the game are going to take it easy in 2012.
IMO no tech vendor in its right mind will "take it easy in 2012" because the market space remains intensely competitive.

-Allen

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The definition of "HD ready" for TVs is that it can accept certain input (HDCP-encoded data over DVI or HDMI) and that the display has at least 720 pixels vertically. Any display that meats this gets to use the HD logo. The rules say nothing about the horizontal resolution, as an earlier generation of plasmas generally had a resolution of 1024*768. It is not entirely uncommon to call anything with 1024*768 "HD" based on this definition.
A 1x720 display is not in any meaningful way HD. But the iPad can't accept HDCP-encoded data over DVI or HDMI, so that definition is pointless in addition to being a marketing gimmick for the early plasma manufacturers. The original "high definition TV" was the Marconi-EMI 405 line (377i) system, a standard by which the iPhone v1 was better than "HD" in portrait orientation.

Observing the way the market has gone, the horizontal resolution is more often significant than the vertical resolution. "720p" 2.4:1 content, from iTunes and elsewhere, is 1280x534. IMO a display isn't HD unless it has 1280x720 full color pixels.

Maybe they really mean the iPad apps are Hybrid Digital.

edit: even better, the Baird 240 line system was considered high definition, making the iPhone v1 "HD" in landscape too.

edit2: I accidentally a word.
( Last edited by mduell; Jan 23, 2012 at 09:20 PM. )

P
Jan 24, 2012, 07:26 AM

I'm not saying it makes a whit of sense, I'm just explaining their logiclegal defense if they were to get sued. HD is one of those terms that has become so watered down that it doesn't mean anything any more.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2012, 09:08 AM

Apple never should have allowed the use of HD to describe the difference between the iPhone and iPad versions of an app. It was an imprecise, poor choice, which has led to confusion and will lead to more confusion in the future as newer iDevices with higher resolutions come out. OTOH, it's really not that big of a deal.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I'm not saying it makes a whit of sense, I'm just explaining their logiclegal defense if they were to get sued. HD is one of those terms that has become so watered down that it doesn't mean anything any more.
Even trucks are HD now.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD | Full Size Pickup Truck | Chevrolet

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2012, 02:56 PM

The iPad would need to be anamorphic 2.35:1 to optimally fit most HD content available today and tomorrow. Non optimal fills would be non-Jobsian.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Nah. You want a FORD Super Duty. Longer battery life, runs Cooler.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2012, 08:47 PM

I'm waiting for the revision with the higher res screen. (OK I'll be honest I'm just waiting for the next one, I had enough cash to buy one half way through the 2's life cycle so I wasn't going to blow my cash on the 2 when I knew the 3 was around the corner and there was other stuff I wanted.)

For me right now the big thing is that the screen on an iPad 2 looks like crap compared to my 4. I've played with them in the Apple Store, and while they're fun I just can't help but notice how non sharp it feels. Hence I've been holding off. I'm waiting for the high res version that's sure to come.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2012, 09:45 PM

I agree, the iPad's resolution is so low one can see each pixel. The blue download progress bar on the 4S is seamless, on the Pad I can see each column of pixels marching along. Interesting, but it makes text less sharp. So I'm with Salty, if the next version has retina, I'm buying it. Moreover I really want the camera for face-time.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2012, 09:43 AM

I have a feeling that no unlimited iPad plan will be grandfathered if AT&T switches to 4G service for the upcoming iPad 2S

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2012, 01:39 PM

Hasn't AT&T already throttled all the unlimited plans if you use more than a few gigs?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2012, 01:50 PM

I almost never read on my iPad because of the low pixel density. Text looks so much smoother and less jagged on my Kindle Fire.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2012, 01:51 PM

I have a feeling that no unlimited iPad plan will be grandfathered if AT&T switches to 4G service for the upcoming iPad 2S
If you buy a iPad 2 today the unlimited plan is already gone anyway. The max is 5 Gb for $50/mo. I'm sure they won't bring back the unlimited plan for the iPad 3.

P
Feb 14, 2012, 03:02 PM

Hasn't AT&T already throttled all the unlimited plans if you use more than a few gigs?
In effect, yes. They constantly throttle the top 5%, who then change their habits or switch subscriptions, which means that the 5% now starts around 2 GB a month.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
If you buy a iPad 2 today the unlimited plan is already gone anyway. The max is 5 Gb for $50/mo. I'm sure they won't bring back the unlimited plan for the iPad 3.
That's not the issue in my comment. I am referring to customers who have unlimited 3G as of today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules