Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dredd!!

Dredd!!
Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 11, 2017, 03:37 AM

Coming to a TV (or stream I guess) near you!

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/10/judge-dredd-tv-show/

Fingers very very crossed!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2017, 05:43 AM

No Urban, no Dredd.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
May 11, 2017, 09:20 AM

Lets see. Will be hard to top Urban but the title seems to indicate they will be looking at the wider Mega City. Which could be interesting.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2017, 01:07 PM

Has Urban ruled himself out?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2017, 02:23 PM

If he's smart he has.

Less pay for more work.

Like... a lot more work. TV's a ****ing grind.

P
May 11, 2017, 06:28 PM

He did network TV recently (Almost Human) and we don't know where this show will show up. 10 eps on Netflix or Amazon Prime you can certainly combine with a few big movies. He is also mostly not a lead in movies - if he becomes the lead in a well-regarded TV show, that might be a good thing.

Note that he tweeted the announcement with no comment one way or the other.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
May 12, 2017, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If he's smart he has.

Less pay for more work.

Like... a lot more work. TV's a ****ing grind.
Spacey has done really well out of House of Cards. Streaming "TV" is in many ways the new movies. There can be considerable prestige in being part of a bold and creative show on either Netflix or Amazon.

This said I don't think Urban is a deal breaker. I would love to see more of the BIg Meg, with Dredd an overview figure rather than the absolute main. The rather one dimensional nature of his character is ideally suited to the comic, but even the one shot movie needed Andersons' character arc to give it its momentum and drive. A weekly show revolving around only Dredd himself would bog down pretty quickly.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2017, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
He did network TV recently
Ouch. That changes things.

P
May 12, 2017, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Ouch. That changes things.
I watched Almost Human... somewhere, can't remember where. Not bad, actually. Had a pretty good cast.

I think that a large part of the "grind" part is for single-cam comedies. 22 eps a year of one of those - now that IS a grind, I know stories of people working day and night on those. Some action and drama stuff where you have to shoot at night time can also be problematic, but this would be a lot of greenscreen and sound stage. Could probably be done even if it does go network and 22 times 42 minutes, but...

Here'e the thing: upfronts are right now. The big networks will be announcing its pickups next week. Why should a production company announce something like this right now if they plan to put it on a network? No. I think they're aiming for Netflix/Prime/HBO/whatever to pick it up.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
May 12, 2017, 05:42 AM

"The Grind" was the main reason that Christopher Ecclestone gave for quitting Dr Who after one season. He always claimed that he had no idea how much work carrying a continuing series would be, and that was 13 episodes.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2017, 08:49 AM

British TV rarely goes over 6 eps per series so relatively, he would have found it a grind. Compared to a US network show like Gotham or one of the DC shows that are decent quality and run 22 eps a year, 13 of Doctor Who is nothing.

It would be really interesting though if Dredd wasn't the main focal point of the show. Just have him turn up and kick some ass now and then. He is so one dimensional that he would almost work better as a part of the landscape.
Almost Human was a sci-fi cop procedural. It would be cool to see a show that just told stories about a different world with some familiar regulars in it. Viewers new to Dredd are going to struggle to identify with a fascistic future police force busting people for crimes that aren't crimes today.
The one element missing from the last movie was the true heavy-handedness of the Judges. It was alluded to when Dredd told the homeless guy in the doorway he'd be arrested if he was still there later, but the real Dredd would have just had him picked up immediately. There is no slack with Dredd, not ever. You don't get a break, he doesn't cut deals.
A big part of the character of that world is that things like real sugar and coffee are banned substances. We didn't get that from the movie either. Judges who aren't responding to crimes will kick doors down at random and toss your dwelling until they find something they can bust you for and they do pretty much every time, because everything is illegal. Good times.

Maybe they will try and get the best of both worlds and split between streaming and network. Like the way Lucifer is on Fox and Amazon. I think the key is keeping a show away from being axable by the network.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
May 12, 2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
British TV rarely goes over 6 eps per series so relatively, he would have found it a grind. Compared to a US network show like Gotham or one of the DC shows that are decent quality and run 22 eps a year, 13 of Doctor Who is nothing.
Saying that the grind is the reason you left is also an excellent excuse if you're trying to be diplomatic and not describe, say, the showrunner, as a pain in **** to work with. Compare with what the rest of the cast of Community said when Chevy left.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
It would be really interesting though if Dredd wasn't the main focal point of the show. Just have him turn up and kick some ass now and then. He is so one dimensional that he would almost work better as a part of the landscape.
I agree, that is where I hope they're going with this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules