Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > VA Gov. Warner Grants Last-Minute Clemency

VA Gov. Warner Grants Last-Minute Clemency
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2005, 09:53 PM

I'll let you folks dig up the story on CNN or elsewhere but every article I've read on the matter
analyzes this decision in light of his potential to be a Presidential candidate in 2008.

So, does this help or hurt him? I think it is neutral. The guy gets life in prison without
parole--so Warner can appear tough on crime--yet by deciding to make this decision he
can still appeal to those who opposes the death penalty.

I think this excerpt form his statement on the matter is spot on, and very politically sound.
He doesn't appear soft on crime yet he still shows some respect for those who oppose the
death penalty.

"In this case, the actions of an agent of the Commonwealth, in a manner contrary to the
express direction of the law, comes at the expense of a defendant facing society's most
severe and final sanction," Warner said in the statement. "The Commonwealth must
ensure that every time this ultimate sanction is carried out, it is done fairly."
So what do you guys think of the chance for a Warner/Clark ticket in 2008?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 04:09 PM

Warner has always been a poll driven wishy-washy political hack with nothing to contribute. His dweeby Lt.Gov/Gov elect came to Northern Virginia because he said in his campaign he would fix the traffic congestion - but said no matter what was done, it wouldn't make that big of a differnece. The slime bucket isn't even IN office and he's backing down from all his big-mouthed promises. Just like Warner, who balked at following through with a jurys wishes to put the creep to death, Lil' Timmy is bound to do the same. I'm sure crime will go up in Va. just as it did in Richmond when Timmy Caine was Mayor.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Warner has always been a poll driven wishy-washy political hack with nothing to contribute. His dweeby Lt.Gov/Gov elect came to Northern Virginia because he said in his campaign he would fix the traffic congestion - but said no matter what was done, it wouldn't make that big of a differnece. The slime bucket isn't even IN office and he's backing down from all his big-mouthed promises.
Um, I think you're confusing the two major gubernatorial candidates. It was Kilgore -Governor-elect Kaine's main rival- who made traffic congestion a major issue. It was never a part of Kaine's platform.
I'm sure crime will go up in Va. just as it did in Richmond when Timmy Caine was Mayor.
Once again, that was Kilgore, not Kaine.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 12:42 PM

Sorry YOU'RE wrong!

Kaine WAS mayor of Richmond.

Second, he ran ads in NVA about traffic, and came here last week to 'talk' about it. He said that anything he could do wouldn't make a difference to the congestion.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Sorry YOU'RE wrong!

Kaine WAS mayor of Richmond.
Are you sure about that? Maybe they both were, then, but I know that crime went way up during Kilgore's tenure.
Second, he ran ads in NVA about traffic, and came here last week to 'talk' about it. He said that anything he could do wouldn't make a difference to the congestion.
Let me check my sources about that, but I'm pretty sure that Kaine wasn't the one posting "Vote for Kilgore to get traffic moving" signs along I-66 and Route 7 at the usual chokepoints.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 03:20 PM

66 & 7!!! Yeeeccchhh, ugly commute.

I did 66@28 to Greenbelt during the American legion rebuild. Peee-youuuuu!

Yep, I'm sure Kaine was also Mayor. My Fiance' worked for some "Learn to Earn" folks and had to deal with his staff on occassion.

You don't remember those stupid commercials with Kaine driving while talking about congestion?

Forum Links
Forum Rules