Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > iPhone Gaming

iPhone Gaming
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 09:19 PM

I'd like this thread to be a place to find reviews, comments, and possibly suggestions for games made for the iPhone. Since the 2.0 Software hit, there have been a ton of games made available for the iPhone, but which ones are worth playing? and worth buying!? Well here's my experience:

Bomberman Touch - The Legend of Mystic Bomb
Bomberman, classic arcade fun. If you love bomberman, you'll love this. The controls can be a little frustrating at first (unless dying repeatedly because you meant to go up doesn't frustrate you), but once you get the hang of them it feels very natural (I've heard this for almost every iPhone game). The game feels short, especially if you're good at it, but I guess time flies when you're having fun! Considering I beat it already, I'm not sure if it was worth the 8$, but oh well...

Aurora Feint The Beginning
This game is FREEking awesome. I love it. If you love tetris (who doesn't?) or similar puzzle games (think bejeweled, etc) then you will love this. It makes great use of the iPhone's accelerometer, allowing for several ways to play. The RPG element of the game adds to it, rather than playing solely for a high score, you can gain items and abilities which enhance your ability to play the game. The "Mining" part of the game is fairly easy, and is a great time waster. The "Smith" part of the game is a similar play style to Mining, however there is a time limit which makes it more difficult. There is a third mode, "Tower," but it feels unfinished as there are only 5 levels. This game is simply amazing, especially since its FREE! I highly recommend it.

That's it for now, I'll add more as I play more. I'd love to see what other people think of these and other games!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:48 AM

There's the iphone app recommendation thread already ...

But for gaming, I haven't gone in too far into debt on them. Scrabble™ is well worth the cost. And waiting on Spore.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 01:47 AM

Agreed on Aurora Feint The Beginning, that is a really great game, especially for the price. The music is even pretty good for a game like this.

MotionX Poker $4.99
I'm addicted to this game. Its a dice version of Poker, roll a set of 5 dice 3 times and try to beat the dealers hand. Simple yet fun. Really great graphics and customizable dice and unlockable tables that allow you to increase your bet. Achievements are a nice addition. And they did an real nice job of making use of the accelerometer. Just shake to roll the dice. And a nice touch is if you tilt your iPhone/iPod the shadows under the dice will move along with it. Well worth the price in my opinion.

Rumor
Jul 15, 2008, 06:12 PM

I have been enjoying Aurora Feint: The Beginning quite a bit.

I also installed JirboJive which is like Bejeweled, but free.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 06:29 PM

EA announced that Monopoly, Tiger Woods Golf and Spore Origins (not full-blown Spore) are coming to the iPhone this year.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
EA announced that Monopoly, Tiger Woods Golf and Spore Origins (not full-blown Spore) are coming to the iPhone this year.
Need For Speed as well. That's the game I'm really looking forward to.

Ironcell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2008, 01:07 PM

I didn't really expect much from aurora feint since it was free, but that game has blown me away, best puzzle game on the iPhone.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 10:55 PM

Rumor
Jul 23, 2008, 05:09 AM

Aurora Feint is having a couple of problems currently. I hope they get fixed soon because I rather enjoy the concept of the game.

Recently there's been a lot of buzz around the community feature that Jason and I implemented in Aurora Feint. We want everyone to know that we are just trying to make a great MMO game for the iPhone. There's no super secret motive here. Sure we'd like to make it big one day, and we're kind of hoping this might take us there. But Aurora Feint is just us being passionate about games and the iPhone.

Sadly, Aurora Feint has been removed from the app store as of 6pm PST. We think this is due to the publicity that has been around the community feature.

We'd like to
a. explain why we implemented the community feature the way we did,
b. ask for your thoughts on how you'd like it to be implemented, and
c. ask for your support in bringing the product back on the app store

When we discovered that the Apple SDK allowed us to look through your contact list we thought it would be a great idea to automatically show you which friends are playing the game. Why automatically? Well, everyone always complains about the keyboard on the iPhone and how annoying it is to type on it. So we thought, "Hey, why don't we make this feature REALLY easy to use – no typing!" And such, the community feature was born. Some people have said that it would have been ok if we had a better notice explaining what was going on. I agree! We weren't trying to be sneaky about how this worked. It was just overlooked. No one we showed it to even asked a question about it – nor did we. It just simply never came up as a potential issue when we beta tested the game with early users.

In the 1.0 version of the game we just didn't get around to doing everything we wanted to do in time for the launch: remember we tried to do a high quality game in 10 weeks flat. So, if you opt-in to the community feature, when you refresh your friends, the data is sent unencrypted to our web servers. Before you freak out though, let me explain why this was done. We just thought that it was a cool feature and that we'd implement security stuff if we became popular. To that end, the web server we launched with was a teeny box with almost no power. We spent the first few days scrambling to scale our servers. We really had no idea how popular we were going to be. We added this feature in near the end of our development cycle and simply decided that we didn't have enough time to spend to make it secure in advance of knowing if it was even going to be a hit.

As for the iMmoAccountData file, that is where we store the details of your account. Like all video games, we need to save information about what you are doing so that you don't start from scratch every time. Some of this data includes a unique identifier that your phone has which we use in our database for tracking your progress. We also store the e-mails and phone-numbers in your contact list so we can keep track of who has the game and optimize finding them again. This file is always written to your hard drive, but it is not sent over the wire unless you explicitly use the community feature. Remember, the data on your phone's hard drive is pretty much as secure as the contact list in your phone. The only way to access it is to break your EULA with Apple and Jailbreak your phone – or potentially from a backup of your entire device on your desktop or laptop computer.

We want you to be comfortable using and playing AF with your friends. So now I am asking you, as a member of our community, how would you like this feature to work in Aurora Feint? We want to make everyone feel comfortable so we intend to change the community feature in another update very soon. We'll take the idea that most people like here, and that seems to make the most sense, and change the community feature accordingly.

In the mean time, we have submitted an update to apple that uses HTTPS to send your data over the wire encrypted. Our update is in the queue marked as In Review. We are also preparing another update with the community feature completely removed. We are trying to get in touch with Apple to work with them on how to move forward so that everyone can continue to enjoy our game and feel comfortable about applications on their phone. If you work at Apple or know anyone who does, please contact me and Jason directly via PM on this forum.

Thanks for all your support and help,
Jason and Danielle
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2008, 11:51 PM

I have to highly recommend Galcon. Simplicity itself, it is the type of game that can just waste loads of time. The youtube video of the guy playing is pretty weak, but I love the idea of space games and went for it - totally worth it.

http://galcon.com

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2008, 12:04 AM

Quordy is a Boggle-type game. Quite fun.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 03:42 PM

When command and conquer is ported, i'll be impressed.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 04:27 PM

I'm interested to know how well the Crash Bandicoot racing games runs.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2008, 04:37 PM

I just wanna see my old favs (Oni, Q3A, Unreal Tournament) get ported.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
I'm interested to know how well the Crash Bandicoot racing games runs.
Crash is pretty fun. The frame rate is pretty low sometimes. It actually makes me feel a little woozy if I play it when I'm tired. It does have a lot of unlockable items, something that the other racing games are a bit light on I think.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 12:57 PM

Carmack is talkin big stuff in the works. Sounds good to me!

http://gizmodo.com/5030331/john-carm...-tour-de-force

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 04:51 PM

I've been playing a lot of Motion-X Poker.

I like how you unlock dice, gems, and boards to play on.
I am on the Monkey Table (200 coins required), I have 2,291 coins, missing 12 dice, and 5 gems.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 06:25 PM

Love MotionX Poker! (see above)

I got to 10,000 coins and had the app crash on me. When I went back in, all of my data was gone. Reset back to the beginning. I was crushed. I wrote the developer and they responded that they hadn't heard of this before. They suggested restoring from a previous backup of my iPhone. But it was too late for me by then, as I had backed up after the mishap.

But I started again and am now up to 50,000 coins! Backing up frequently now. But haven't seen a crash since the big bad one.

Still love the game. My most played by far.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 06:29 PM

I unlocked the Tiger board today and now have 20,001 coins, missing 6 sets of dice, and still have 9 out of 14 gems.

I emailed the developers asking them to put a rounded square background into the app since it's the only app I have that's icon doesn't conform and thus looks very out of place. They wrote me back saying that it has a black rounded square and if I put the app in my iPhone dock I can see it. Not very helpful

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 07:41 PM

Heh, that sort of bugs me too. I'm sure they did that just to set their app icon apart on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I'm up to 850k coins, unlocked the last table (looks awesome btw), got all dice unlocked and 11 of 14 gems. The coins start piling up after you unlock the last 2 tables, the last one especially as each roll costs 5,000 coins. I hope that they update the game in the future to add more tables, more dice, more gems, etc. The game is awesome, but I don't know if I'd play it if I had no goals to achieve.

moep
Senior User
Aug 1, 2008, 06:55 AM

Dizzy Bee is great.
The screenshot makes it look like a game I’d never buy or play, but after finishing the free demo version in one session I got the full version right away.
Everything is extremely polished, it feels like the kind of casual game that Nintendo would sell for $50 on a handheld console. Highly recommended, great value.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 05:20 PM

How is De Blob?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2008, 11:52 AM

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 01:27 PM

De Blob isn't bad but I grew tired of it fairly quickly.

I've been playing a lot of Real Soccer 09. It has a few game modes which extend the game. There is the cup mode which is pretty much the quarter, semi, and finals, and then there is the league which is around 38 games long. Each mode has different areas, English, International, African, etc and all the teams and players from each league.

I finished all the cups, was almost through my first league and then bought an iPhone 3G. Everything except my Real Soccer settings ported to the new iPhone. So I'm starting it again.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 10:00 PM

Bugdom 2 has been ported, tho' he originally said he wouldn't do any more ports after Enigmo and Cro-Mag Racer. I guess the huge cash influx changed his mind.

I'll bet we'll see Nanosaur 2 and Otto-Matic as well.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 07:58 AM

Otto-matic has already been named as the next port.

Cipher13
Oct 2, 2008, 08:32 AM

Enigmo is great fun.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I'll bet we'll see Nanosaur 2 and Otto-Matic as well.
I'd buy a Nanosaur 2 for my iPod
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Sourcer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2008, 03:27 PM

Check this one : http://www.simiotica.com/index_puzzled.html. It's called Puzzl3d. I would be glad to hear any of your thoughts about this game. Thanks!

Gelimor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2008, 12:16 AM

My top 2 iPhone games are:

Surface to Air Mayhem

My favorite missile defense type game.

Fieldrunners

My favorite tower defense type game.

p.a.h.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2008, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Enigmo is great fun.
Yeah, only my first game but it's cool. I notice
that my vision is really blurred after playing.
Maybe I need specs?

edzilla31
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2008, 02:19 AM

I'm helping a friend get the word out about a new game he created, a Halloween version of spot the difference (where you find the difference between two nearly identical Halloween images). Here is the app link. It's a good game, I've played it myself. Feedback is always welcome.

Halloween Photo Hunt

Their website is http://www.meganudge.com. Thanks!

jakemann23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2008, 03:14 PM

for everyone thats into puzzle games like me heres one that you should love.

its called pathways and so far i would recommend it to everyone. here is a review and a website that can give you more info...

http://www.iphoneappreviews.net/

http://www.pathwaysthegame.com

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 01:13 AM

Just got Nanosaur 2, and I must say I'm very impressed. Pangea really did a great job with it. It's the first game that makes the iPhone a game machine.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 04:56 PM

Not a game, but awesome nonetheless.... Ocarina for iPhone

noobebe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2009, 05:36 PM

Hi @ all
what do thing about this game:pigru
and this ADDs

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2009, 11:09 PM

Oregon Trail... end of story.

IGN

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2009, 12:40 AM

I was excited at the premise, then lost excitement when I saw the screenshots. I don't think this will be the same Oregon Trial we all loved.

I saw Prey is making its way as well. Now I'm truly excited about that and how it handles. Its the first true FPS I've heard of on the platform. Brothers in Arms was a third person shooter. Billy Frontier is like an arcade, Wii style point and shoot game.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Pretz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2009, 08:43 AM

X-Plane, X-Plane Airliner, X-Plane Helicopter, X-Plane Extreme
These games are the best flight simulator games for the iphone. X-Plane Extreme is my favorite. You can fly in different regions such as Alaska, Kathmandu, San Fransisco, the desert, and in canyons.
X-Plane
  • Cessna 172
  • Columbia 400
  • Piper Malibu
  • Cirrus Vission
  • Piaggio Avanti
  • Beech King-Air
X-Plane Airliner
  • Boeing 777
  • Boeing 747
  • Boeing 737
  • Airbus A-380