Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > the best mouse for X ?

the best mouse for X ?
altimac
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2001, 03:13 PM

hello, my father give me his "old" PC but without any mouse and keyboard !

i'm going to buy them and i would like to buy a good mouse (optical if possible, 2 bttons, and a SCROLL WHEEL).

Sometimes (especially when playing ;-) ) on my mac, i regret the fact that my apple mouse only have 1 button and no wheel...

so i want a USB mouse that can be attached to the mac (playing) or PC (doing wathever)... what is the best one *COMPATIBLE WITH OS X* and 9 ???

i heard that only Kensington has made OS X drivers... betas were OK but final version (1.0) is crappy...

what do you think ?

thanks
CarraFix, the traffic shaper for OS X !

Enjoy The [CFx] Community !
http://www.carrafix.com

MacOS761
Senior User
Sep 18, 2001, 03:26 PM

I've had tremendous success with my Macally iOptiJr. I liked the size of the puck mouse, but the one button was not so cool, and the iOptiJr is slightly smaller as well as the standard mouse shape. It's optical (the whole thing lights up!), has two buttons and a scroll wheel, and is 100% compatible with OS X, no drivers required. The OS 9 drivers are really nice too.
If you don't like small mice, I would check out the iOptiNet, which is the same mouse but standard size.
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

bateman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2001, 03:33 PM

the macally stuff. optical, wheel, two buttons.
great under ten, without any additional driver.
i got the iOptijr, great for a portable.

steve we want the ten on the 24!

a thought for people who left last week. we are in a new period since.
argh

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2001, 03:58 PM

Kensington's Mouseworks software for OS X is just fine. Not quite as feature-rich as their OS 9 software, but it does work well. Definitely improved over the beta versions.
I recommend Kensington's Mouse-in-a-Box Optical Pro. It's an optical mouse with 5 programmable buttons. The price was recently reduced from $40 to $30.
Oh yeah, and it DOES have a scroll wheel.

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: malvolio ]
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

stepson
Sep 18, 2001, 05:20 PM

the logitech optical mouse w/ scroll wheel works great. with os x on my cube and rev d imac. Its plugged into the keyboard on my cube, but it had some problems there on my imac, and i had to plug it directly into the usb port on the mac itself. No problems on the cube. This is a good mouse, I have on on each of my 4 computers, and my girlfriend uses the 'ergonomic' version. I got the normal versions for about $20 online. highly recommended. no problems in x, just unplg the old one, plug in the new one (didn't even need to reboot, logout, login etc ...).

vasu
Senior User
Sep 18, 2001, 05:56 PM

I cast another vote for the Kensington mouse in a box optical pro. I got mine for $25 at office depot, much cheaper than the $70 i payed for my MS Intellimosue Explorer, and I like the Kensington much better. Nice firm clicks, scroll wheel, optical. And the software is good. GREAT OS9 software, and pretty good OSX software (espescially for a v1.0 driver). As far as I know, they are the only people that have ported over their programable mouse drivers. Left, right, scroll wheel just find under X normally. If you want to use the 4th and 5th buttons, grab the Mouseworks software.

goodluck
-vasu

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2001, 08:07 PM

Well i just got the MacAlly iOptinet...and I will have to cast my vote for it. It cost me 50 CDN and its a great mouse 3 buttons and a scroll (the third button is when u click the scroll down)

MacAlly have great products! Now if only they had some drivers for OSX. It works but I can't re-program the buttons.

gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2001, 11:43 PM

Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse. Costs $29 CAN, so about $15 US. Just the right weight, two buttons, scroll wheel. Works out of the box and looks better than any other mouse in my opinion (a nice navy blue). Tried the MS IntelliMouse but it felt like a cheap piece of plastic and it didn't track well.

emil
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2001, 11:57 PM

OK well I don't know if I have a defective mouse or a devective tablet, but i use the intellimouse laser on the wacom graphire and it sometimes jumps all over. maybe that is becaseu of the partial transparency, maybe the laser sees through at some points .. i can't put my mouse on my desk because it's this wood desk with this cheesy fake ikea wood grain that has litle dips in it, so the laser jumps all over on that too .. this, of course, is not specific to X though.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2001, 12:51 AM

I just got the Kensington Mouse-in-a-box Optical Pro last week...so far so good. As mentioned above, nice solid clicks, wheel, decent software that works in X, and kensington are pretty good with the support too.

Nice size, feels pretty good, just enough weight...the only criticism would be that sometimes you can accidentally click one of the 2 side buttons if you pick the mouse up to move it (but not if you're holding it properly....)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2001, 01:03 AM

macally iOpti jr kicks ass
I have one I use with my powerbook all the time.
It's a good solid construction--I take it everywhere my powerbook goes, I stuff it in my bag wherever it will fit, I have dropped it on occaision, and it works as good as the day I bought it. I highly recommend it. Works great in X with no additional drivers. Since it is IR, it is perfect for laptop users where mousepads are often an inconvenience.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2001, 03:17 AM

Another vote for the Kensington. I've used a Logitech mouse and an Intellimouse in the past... the Intellimouse went wacky after a few months, and the Logitech felt cheap and clunky, even the wheel clicking sounded somehow chincy. The Kensington has a good solid feel to it, and the programmability in OS X is good.

After trying these other mice, I am happiest by far with this mouse. By the way, it perfectly matches the TiBook, for those who find such things important.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2001, 03:25 AM

If microsoft ever released drivers for the Intellimouse Optical/Explorer then I vote for those mice.

I've had one (Intellimouse Optical - the white one) since I bought my DP 450 last year and its worked great for me the whole time, the two internet buttons on the side are VERY handy and I find myself clicking them in X..but to no avail since there are no drivers for X yet...

on that note, has anyone heard anything about the drivers for the IntelliMice or how about USB Overdrive for X, will that come out soon?

-agasthya

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2001, 03:35 AM

Another vote for the Logitech optical mouse here. Looks great, tracks well (on any surface), has that cool-o red LED light...No drivers needed under X - just plug it in and you're off.

The only problem I've found is that it can prevent the computer from sleeping, presumably because it's so sensetive it is constantly re-awaking the machine when it sleeps.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2001, 03:38 AM

I vote for Logitech Optical Cordless. Simply the finest mouse i have ever used. Under OS 9x the USB Overdrive control panel is highly recommended not sure about Mac OS X version of this yet. But look out for it.

Targon

sordid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2001, 05:23 AM

Why not choose the most sophisticated mouse available, Apple's one button mouse!

sheer
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2001, 06:27 AM

XLR8 point and scroll (USB)
Quite a large mouse (I have big hands ) and the ball is situated more towards the wrist than centrally, but very good for gaming, robust and reliable, just a pain having to clean it quite often (the main problem with ball mice). Works fine in X, Wolf Test recognised scroll wheel no problem, and works fine for all those daily tasks (Photoshop et al).
Just my 2cents

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2001, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by vasu:
<STRONG>I cast another vote for the Kensington mouse in a box optical pro. I got mine for $25 at office depot, much cheaper than the $70 i payed for my MS Intellimosue Explorer, and I like the Kensington much better. Nice firm clicks, scroll wheel, optical. And the software is good. GREAT OS9 software, and pretty good OSX software (espescially for a v1.0 driver). As far as I know, they are the only people that have ported over their programable mouse drivers. Left, right, scroll wheel just find under X normally. If you want to use the 4th and 5th buttons, grab the Mouseworks software.

goodluck
-vasu</STRONG>
I have the MouseWorks software for OS X and what sucks is that you can't customize the left and right "waist" buttons to do forward and backwards in MS Interenet Explorer. With the OS 9 driver software, you could assign key commands (Command+right arrow and Command+left arrow) to these keys and accomplish this task. Hopefully Kensington will fix this problem soon.
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules