Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Red text when using First Aid in disk utility

Red text when using First Aid in disk utility
macdummy
Jun 1, 2006, 02:42 AM

i was wondering if there was a big list that explains certain error messages one could see when using the 'repair disk' function in disk utility.

here are a few that i have come across. 'invalid node structure' and 'volume header needs minor repair'. there are a few others that i have seen but i can't remember.i have no idea if the issues are software or hardware related. how does one tell? thanks

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 1, 2006, 11:53 AM

ALL the errors are filesystem (software) errors. Other than the SMART status, Disk Utility does no hardware checking.

In any case, if Disk Utility can't repair it, just use DiskWarrior. Every Mac user should own it.

tooki

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2006, 01:30 PM

Does DiskWarrior boot on Intel Macs?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Wevah
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 05:39 PM

Some/most/all(?) of those can probably be fixed by Disk Utility/fsck; you'll just have to boot of the install CD and run it from there or boot up in single-user mode. (I know the "volume header needs minor repair" one is fixable, at any rate.)
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Forum Links
Forum Rules