Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Warcraft III - very sluggish on Intel Mac.

Warcraft III - very sluggish on Intel Mac.
urzsite
Oct 27, 2006, 05:17 PM

Hi !

Is it just me or is this version very sluggish on the new Macbooks ? I have 2 GB of ram, and still everything is choppy at low settings and low res.

I have not so many activities going on according to Activity Monitor.

I Dont feel like installing Windows for just 1 game
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 06:57 PM

It's because the game has to run in Rosetta.

I would love for a Universal patch for this game.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 07:40 PM

The game has to run in Rosetta, but I wonder how much the video card has to do with it being choppy for you. I have a stock MacPro (2.66Ghz / 7300) and I am able to run everything at the highest settings at 1680 * 1050 without much slowdown. Installing the game was my biggest problem; the expansion installer crashed once and the patcher died a few times before finally working. Campaign mode also crashes whenever I attempt it, so multiplayer is all I have.

I would also like a universal version of Starcraft but I don't think it will happen.
To be determined later.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak View Post
The game has to run in Rosetta, but I wonder how much the video card has to do with it being choppy for you. I have a stock MacPro (2.66Ghz / 7300) and I am able to run everything at the highest settings at 1680 * 1050 without much slowdown. Installing the game was my biggest problem; the expansion installer crashed once and the patcher died a few times before finally working. Campaign mode also crashes whenever I attempt it, so multiplayer is all I have.

I would also like a universal version of Starcraft but I don't think it will happen.
I've got a Macbook Pro and Warcraft III runs pretty well, but when the action heats up it gets very choppy. My 1.25 ghz G4 Powerbook actually plays it better.

Warcraft III also runs very glitchy under Rosetta. I know when I play LAN games, those of us playing on Intel Macs commonly get crashes at the end of a game before the score screen.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 09:32 PM

Emulation + Intel integrated graphics = terrible fps.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
those of us playing on Intel Macs commonly get crashes at the end of a game before the score screen.
I've had such situations even on a G5 when using some custom maps (usually tower defense types). I reported it to Blizzard but they basically said "it's not our problem; we only support the maps we make" which would be respectable if the game also crashed under XP with the same map (but it doesn't).
To be determined later.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak View Post
I've had such situations even on a G5 when using some custom maps (usually tower defense types). I reported it to Blizzard but they basically said "it's not our problem; we only support the maps we make" which would be respectable if the game also crashed under XP with the same map (but it doesn't).
Oh no, these were on bundled maps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules