Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adium 1.0 is out!

Adium 1.0 is out!
Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 06:59 PM

mindwaves
Feb 2, 2007, 07:22 PM

Got it! One of my favorite apps ever!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 07:33 PM

Awesome stuff.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2007, 07:42 PM

Nice.

About time they update it. My Adium (older version) used to crash everytime I tried to use MSN.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2007, 08:51 PM

Well this is nice! Adium 1.0 is released not only after Vista but after the MacNN forum redesigns

Well, great stuff! This is by far the best IM client for the Macintosh. Sure there are still bugs and incompatibilities, but it is still incredible.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 09:54 PM

Got it! I've been using the 1.0 branch since the first beta, so there aren't many surprises here. Nonetheless, best client on OS X by far, even without video or voice chatting.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 09:55 PM

Still no video. enuff said.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2007, 11:02 PM

whats new in it?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
whats new in it?
This is by no means a full list, but it should be pretty close: Changes in Adium X 1.0

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac View Post
like i said somewhere else, yeah video is a highly needed feature, but if you need it now use iChat, yahoo, aMSN, or mercury.

for everything else IM is great.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2007, 07:30 PM

Does everyone's iTunes notification work. I've asked friends (on other services and platforms) and they say they do not see what songs are playing. In fact, on my side I do not see what is playing either.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2007, 08:43 PM

Why not help instead of complain?

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2007, 10:17 PM

Direct messaging works with Windows users. I'm very happy!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro View Post
Does everyone's iTunes notification work. I've asked friends (on other services and platforms) and they say they do not see what songs are playing. In fact, on my side I do not see what is playing either.
The song is displayed in the status message, and status message* support was not added to the MSN protocol until a version later than the one Adium supports, so this is unfortunately expected if you're using MSN. The gaim team is working on updating to the latest MSN protocol, so at that point it will work as expected.

If this is on a non-MSN protocol then it's likely just a bug, since afaik the others support status messages (except ICQ? I've heard ICQ doesn't support available messages, only away... I don't use it though).

*known as personal messages on MSN

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man View Post
The song is displayed in the status message, and status message* support was not added to the MSN protocol until a version later than the one Adium supports, so this is unfortunately expected if you're using MSN. The gaim team is working on updating to the latest MSN protocol, so at that point it will work as expected.

If this is on a non-MSN protocol then it's likely just a bug, since afaik the others support status messages (except ICQ? I've heard ICQ doesn't support available messages, only away... I don't use it though).

*known as personal messages on MSN
The current workaround is to add "%_iTunes" to your MSN display name, it will kinda work the same way as the iTunes status message works for AIM, at least until the MSN personal messages are implemeted in libgaim.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 10:43 AM

Guess what I am saying is that it doesn't seem to work at all (for AOL, Yahoo, or any of them). My current iTunes track is also NOT displayed on my end.

Could there be something wrong with my installation of Adium.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry View Post
Yeah, so what's your problem?

My family uses video chat pretty much non stop. Adium still doesn't have it. iChat does so I will stick with that. I think this is one feature everyone has been requesting from the dev for quite a while. Adium is no doubt a nice app. No video. No good to me and some other folks I know.

Have a nice day.

BTW. I buy software. I don't know how to help write it. It must not be easy to do but somehow it is stellar in iChat.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 04:12 PM

i really find ichat meets my need verywell for that. i love the look and it works very well. adium if chating only for me, i leave it on all day and people leave msgs and stuff but when video time comes around ichat is my choice 100%

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 06:11 PM

I'd love iChat to adopt the multi-protocol feature list.

It's current adaption plain out sucks.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 08:47 PM

Is this for Intel too ?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 08:51 PM

Does anyone else find it amusing that one of the recorded changes is "Made error messages non-gender-specific"? Does it really matter *that* much?

Also:

Originally Posted by Adium Changelog
* Requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later (Universal Binary)
That'd be affirmative, utw-Mephisto.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 09:47 PM

There is just one thing that would make it perfect for me: Xfire support, so I don't have to boot in XP if I want to voicechat or even text with my wow-playing friends.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Does anyone else find it amusing that one of the recorded changes is "Made error messages non-gender-specific"? Does it really matter *that* much?
Eh, easy fix to make, and it is somewhat insulting to have people assuming your gender.

archdukefranz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 08:57 AM

Can't seem to get MSN to work through a HTTP proxy... even with the http thing enabled

works on a VM with windows XP installed... and IE setup... anyone with any ideas?

archdukefranz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 09:24 AM

Eh, easy fix to make, and it is somewhat insulting to have people assuming your gender.
Really? Why?

siMac
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 09:24 AM

Excellent!

Loving the new dock-like contact list. Oh, and all the other stuff too!
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by archdukefranz View Post
Really? Why?
To a certain group of users it comes across as "hey, you're using a program you installed off the internet, you're obviously a guy. Girls don't know how to use computers". Oversensitive, perhaps, but there's no reason not to fix it given how easy it is to change.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2007, 09:52 PM

I downloaded adium 1.0 and a day later a growl window pops up.Is growl built into adium ?Because i have never downloaded it.Has anyone deleted it? I am still yet to decide if it is useful.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 11:04 PM

Yes, growl is included with Adium, and Adium will ask whether you'd like to install it. We're working on improving the wording for that dialog though... it's hella confusing right now.

mishabawa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 01:20 AM

is anyone finding that 1.0 is a huge memory hog as compared to previous versions? at one point this puppy was upto 80 megs of ram. i have a 12" PB with 768 MB of ram, so that's a significant amount for me. I don't remember the older versions having such a huge footprint.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 07:50 AM

Yes, growl is included with Adium, and Adium will ask whether you'd like to install it. We're working on improving the wording for that dialog though... it's hella confusing right now.

Hi thanks for the reply.Is it common for growl to pop a day after using the new adium? Could it be that this occured becuase i installed adium the old fashion way instead of using the new GUI and not everything installed.
( Last edited by Rob van dam; Feb 6, 2007 at 08:00 AM. )
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 08:03 AM

Yeah, so what's your problem?

My family uses video chat pretty much non stop. Adium still doesn't have it. iChat does so I will stick with that. I think this is one feature everyone has been requesting from the dev for quite a while. Adium is no doubt a nice app. No video. No good to me and some other folks I know.

Have a nice day.

BTW. I buy software. I don't know how to help write it. It must not be easy to do but somehow it is stellar in iChat.
Did you post in here for the sole purpose of being a jackass and belittle of the hard efforts of developers for a fine IM client just because it doesn't have video? Your family sex chats can continue on iChat just fine, and it's great if you like to use it.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 08:26 AM

Apple can't get multiple IM server connections to work as well as Adium did. So I wouldn't call that stellar. It's nothing short of a hack.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam View Post
Hi thanks for the reply.Is it common for growl to pop a day after using the new adium? Could it be that this occured becuase i installed adium the old fashion way instead of using the new GUI and not everything installed.
Hmm... I believe* we ask about Growl a) the first time a notification would have been shown, had it been installed, or b) if we find an updated version. So yeah, that could theoretically trigger after a day of use.

*I haven't actually looked at that code, just going by what people have mentioned.

Hi I'm Ben: wtf? Overreacting much?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 03:01 PM

Hmm... I believe* we ask about Growl a) the first time a notification would have been shown, had it been installed, or b) if we find an updated version. So yeah, that could theoretically trigger after a day of use.

*I haven't actually looked at that code, just going by what people have mentioned.

Hi I'm Ben: wtf? Overreacting much?

a bit. I was stuck in the jacksonville airport waiting on my flight to Chicago where ultimately.. i got stuck again. Having said that... I still think it's ridiculous when people troll applications for the sole purpose of being lame.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 06:29 PM

Wow, big improvement for me over the last beta that I tried which was probably around 6 months aog. Much faster, has yet to crash, and I never even heard of Grawl until I downloaded 1.0!

Even on my older 800 MHz Power Mac it runs fast.

nkatz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 01:04 AM

Not trying to troll or anything but I've been using Fire for a couple of years now - is there anything in particular that makes Adium a better app?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2007, 03:17 AM

Congrats to the Adium team on the release. I had forgotten I've been running 1.0 releases for so long now, I didn't remember all the new things. Looking at the final change notes was amazing. I did get a few bugs submitted, and was glad to see the runaway threads problem fixed a while back.

With the voice/video thing, would it somehow be possible to advertise the ability to AIM, then when a request came in, somehow launch iChat and redirect the request there? Just a shot in the dark for at least bridging the gap. It's not all that important to me, since as it is now, people who want to video chat to me IM me first, and it's just a quicksilver launch away to open iChat.
<This space under renovation>

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nkatz View Post
Not trying to troll or anything but I've been using Fire for a couple of years now - is there anything in particular that makes Adium a better app?
You should just download Adium and try out both. I used to use Fire years ago, but 2 minutes with Adium convinced me to switch forever.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to take look.

Forum Links
Forum Rules