Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Can Parallels use winXP Bootcamp Partition ?

Can Parallels use winXP Bootcamp Partition ?
urzsite
Mar 9, 2007, 06:17 AM

This might have been answered many times before, but I searched, and there is no real answer to this question:

Is it possible to use Parallels to boot the Windows I have on my Bootcamp partition ?
Or is it only possible to install a virtual machine and use bootcamp patition as "harddrive" ?

When I select "use Bootcamp" in Parallels, and try to boot it up, it says that there is no windows installed etc. and hangs. My bootcamp windows partition works perfectly, and has so for months - its winXP SP2 (not Vista).

I really don't want to have 2 windows XP installed on my computer, so I hope somebody can help me with this

Thanks in advance!

Martin
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

Smush
Mar 9, 2007, 07:00 AM

Yes you can boot off of the Boot Camp partition

http://www.parallels.com/products/de...ures/bootcamp/

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you

urzsite  (op)
Mar 9, 2007, 08:50 AM

I knew it. Thanks for confirming

Im really not sure whats the problem is with my Parallels, im using the latest and also tried a couple earlier versions just to assure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

This is one of the things where I can't do anything, since there is not much you can fiddle with in Parallels, and my Windows XP is running without problems for several months.

If anyone has experienced the same, and solved the problem, please help!
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

Forum Links
Forum Rules