Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP or MB?

MBP or MB?
samboh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 08:54 AM

Time for an upgrade from my G3 iBook.

I'm not a heavy user -- word processing, etc.

I'm all set to buy (educational pricing) the MB (The middle one with 2GB) for $1540. Can get the basic MBP for $1799.

I prefer the smaller size of the MacBook.

Which screen handles sunlight best?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sam

Rexermacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 10:27 AM

I am not sure what you mean by 'handles sun best' (glare?) but this is my experience. I have a MacBook with 2G RAM and a 2.0 GHz processor and a glossy screen. I use it for my job as a project manager with a construction company. It works great (of course). I sit facing a window and have not noticed a sunlight problem except during sunny conditions that overpower the screen brightness. I think this would happen regardless of the monitor/screen used though. Any display would fare poorly under direct sunlight.

Hope you enjoy your new MB.

pcguy1
Jun 9, 2007, 10:40 AM

The middle MB with you educational pricing is $1199 with 1GB(you have no real need for 2GB doing word processing,etc) and 120GB hd, not 1540.

If you insisted on 2GB ram, you can pick up 2GB 2x1GB at FRYs for $80 easily.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2007, 11:52 AM

The MacBook would be just fine. A MBP is overkill for word processing. 2Gb of RAM will be helpful though for running Office 2004 with other apps open.

macnnjay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 12:22 PM

If your needs are simple, might as well get the base MacBook IMO.

Only reason to go for the MBP would be if you must have a matte screen or have a strong preference for the MBP keyboard.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 9, 2007, 12:29 PM

the only big reason for most people to get a mbp is a need for the video card for heavy graphics apps and games

and bigger screen.

but the move to widescreen will satisfy your screen demands. widescreen allows you to put a pdf on one side of the screen and the word processing program on the other.

2gb ram would help with office 2004, but when it becomes office 2008 (a universal binary) it shouldn't matter all that much.

besides, it is currently 1gb of ram standard (2 sticks of 512mb, but still better than 2 sticks of 256mb)

i would heavy advise upgrading ram. currently, you can buy a stick of crucial ram from newegg for $30 after rebate. crucial is considered THE gold standard of ram when it comes up upgrading ram. just a couple months ago, the ram cost $110 easily.

newegg.com is a really god place to get ram. very reasonable shipping rates
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

OreoCookie
Jun 9, 2007, 02:51 PM

Just a few thoughts: as far as weight is concerned, the difference between a MacBook and a ProBook is negligible. For most things, a MacBook will definitely suffice. Even though the MacBook has an integrated graphics chip set, it is still a little faster than the GeForce 5200 FX that Apple put into some mobile Macs (e. g. the 12" PowerBook). The most important thing with Intel Macs is to put at least 2 GB or RAM in them.

So if you need fast graphics, then there is no alternative to a ProBook.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 03:32 AM

Get a MacBook. Prior to the update, the middle offer had the best bang for the buck. With the current line-up, the extra cash gets you a SuperDrive, larger hard drive, and slightly faster processor. I'm not sure how important burning DVDs for you is, so you'd have to weigh those options and see if they're worth it.

Coming from an iBook G3, the MacBook will definitely be lightyears ahead. I came from a PBG4 12", and the MacBook delivers waaaay more than I expected (coding, monitoring, surfing, etc). If you're the casual gamer, the MB will be fine. Save the money you'd have spent on the MBP for something else such as extra RAM, an extra charger perhaps, and AppleCare.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2007, 10:35 AM

For using your laptop in sunlight:
Glossy may have glare if the sun is directly behind you.
Matte may wash out on bright days.
In general I'd say glossy is better for outdoors use, but it's mostly dependent on personal preference.

samboh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the helpful responses. Your thoughts have prompted me to go for the middle MacBook with ram from Crucial.

Sam

Forum Links
Forum Rules