Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Region-free DVD firmware for C2D MBPs now available

Region-free DVD firmware for C2D MBPs now available
Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 05:18 AM

I recently stumbled upon this thread.

It appears region-free DVD firmware is now available for the SuperDrives in the C2D MBPs. These are Matshita drives and from what I heard they were until recently considered hardly hackable at all.

In System Profiler > Hardware > Disc Burning check if you have Matshita UJ-857 and what firmware revision you have.

There are different firmware patchers available here according to different firmware revs (HBEA, KBVB, KCVB):
UJ-857-HBEA.zip
UJ-857D-KBVB.zip
UJ-857D-KCVB.zip
UJ-857-HAEA.zip

As always: Be careful, read the thread, and consult the README first. If you screw it up, your drive could be toast.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 30, 2007 at 05:32 AM. Reason: added another firmware revision)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 05:21 AM

In case you're wondering, these are the firmware revisions and the Macs they're on (according to the thread I linked to above):

HAEA MacBook Pro Core Duo (15")
HBEA MacBook Core Duo (13")
KBVB MacBook Core 2 Duo (13")
KCVB MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (15")

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2007, 07:24 AM

The firmware revision of my C2D MacBook is BE39, so not showing KBVB and as much as I'd love to try it, I daren't.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2007, 07:53 AM

Hoo-hah! No longer will I have to rely on my 600MHz G3 iBook to watch/rip DVDs other than region 2; my MacBook's HBEA drive is now region free, as it was always meant to be.

Also, for those others what do this, you will need an Intel version of Region X, which someone has been kind enough to provide via RapidShare.

Thanks to Simon for posting about this, else I might not have found out.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by fire3500 View Post
The firmware revision of my C2D MacBook is BE39, so not showing KBVB and as much as I'd love to try it, I daren't.
There's still a solution: BE39 firmware.

This page is in French, but you can find firmware for lots of other iB/PB/MB(P) drives there.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by megasad View Post
Also, for those others what do this, you will need an Intel version of Region X, which someone has been kind enough to provide via RapidShare.
From what I understand development of Region X has been stopped.

Fortunately there's also DVD Info X which does the same. It's UI isn't nice, but it does what it's supposed to.

Thanks to Simon for posting about this, else I might not have found out.
I'm glad you like it. When I stumbled onto it I figured others here would also be interested in getting RPC-1 drives.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
From what I understand development of Region X has been stopped.

Fortunately there's also DVD Info X which does the same. It's UI isn't nice, but it does what it's supposed to.
Mm-hmm, they are both abandoned as a matter of fact, both being made by xvi long ago. I didn't know DVD Info X could be used to change DVD Player's region as well but as I have Region X working now I figure I'll stick with that.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 11:34 AM

mega thanks on posting this, Simon!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 01:01 PM

So which would it be for a MacBook C2D 2.16 with a UJ-857E Revision ZB0E ?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
So which would it be for a MacBook C2D 2.16 with a UJ-857E Revision ZB0E ?
From the fifth page of the linked forum thread:
"...any chances that any of the patched UJ-857 firmwares will work with the UJ-857e ?

No, it would be too much of a risk. If the drive has another reference, it hints that the changes between the models go beyond the simple firmware revision and that there are physical differences."
Sorry.

rafalski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2007, 05:50 PM

I took the plunge today, no regrets!

albarosa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 12:25 AM

Thank you! Here is what I get when I check with DVD Info X:

Vendor: MATSHITA
Model: DVD-R UJ-857D
Firmware: KCVB
RPC-1 (region free)

I have been been searching for a solution ever since I bought my MacBook Pro. As I often travel, my region-locked drive was really starting to irritate me. The firmware was very simple to install, and I am now watching a Region 2 DVD without a problem.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 04:34 AM

Great, works perfectly!

If only I could flash the Combo Drive in my Mac mini, I would pay cash for anyone that can help.

MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8124:

Firmware Revision: DACD
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
Media: No

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
If only I could flash the Combo Drive in my Mac mini, I would pay cash for anyone that can help.
MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8124:
Firmware Revision: DACD
The French page I linked to above says there's no patch for that drive. But according to them you should be able to use VLC to watch DVDs with other region codes on that drive.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 09:51 PM

From the fifth page of the linked forum thread:

Sorry.

Sadness. Oh well, Japanese movies suck anyways.

Maos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2007, 11:23 PM

will this work for my macbook pro coreduo?

this is what it says under system profiler:
ATA Bus:

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857:

Capacity: 7.85 GB
Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857
Revision: HAEA
Serial Number:
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk1
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: Yes
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Maos View Post
will this work for my macbook pro coreduo?
Well, of course! The UJ-857 drive with HAEA firmware revision is mentioned in my very first post at the top of this thread.

Maos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 04:36 AM

haha yea i noticed that too after i clicked the link and read the other forum.

now my dvd drive is region free

nmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 05:58 AM

I must say that I was excited to find that I may be able to 'region' free my DVD drive on my MacBook Core Duo (13"). I have read all of the above posts but I am unsure if I can flash my drive. When I go to System Profiler, my firmware revision says HBE4 and not HBEA. Why is that? And, does that mean that I can't flash my DVD drive?

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by nmac View Post
I must say that I was excited to find that I may be able to 'region' free my DVD drive on my MacBook Core Duo (13"). I have read all of the above posts but I am unsure if I can flash my drive. When I go to System Profiler, my firmware revision says HBE4 and not HBEA. Why is that? And, does that mean that I can't flash my DVD drive?
Run Software Update first and update your firmware using the official Apple updater. That should update it to HBEA and then you can apply the region free one.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 08:58 AM

Run Software Update first and update your firmware using the official Apple updater. That should update it to HBEA and then you can apply the region free one.
That's the right advice.

The Apple SuperDrive Update 2.1 performs these updates:

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080MA
AE38 -> AE39

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA-4080MB
BE38 -> BE39

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ857
HAC1 -> HAE4

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ857
HBE4 -> HBEA

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D
KBV9 -> KBVB

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D
KCV9 -> KCVB

alvinrayyu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 12:11 AM

what about my superdrive from macbook core duo 2.0GHz? which of those firmwares can i use?

nmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 01:06 AM

I tried to download the update but I found that the update has now been pulled by Apple because many people experienced hardware failure when they used the update!!! No luck for me then! (

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by alvinrayyu View Post
what about my superdrive from macbook core duo 2.0GHz? which of those firmwares can i use?
If you won't read the original thread, at least read the 45th post, as it answers your question.

I tried to download the update but I found that the update has now been pulled by Apple because many people experienced hardware failure when they used the update!!! No luck for me then! (
For other folk with the same problem, someone has kindly uploaded it to RapidShare.

nmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 07:43 AM

Have many people reported DVD drive failure after installing this update? I am a bit nervous because I am guessing that if I install the update and my drive fails, then it will be up to me to pay for any repairs! Oh what to do???

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 3, 2007, 07:51 AM

Have many people reported DVD drive failure after installing this update? I am a bit nervous because I am guessing that if I install the update and my drive fails, then it will be up to me to pay for any repairs! Oh what to do???
If anyone who saw the update here had a failure, you'd see their post! Most of the time our forums serve as a "this bad thing happened!!!!HELPPPPPPP!!!!!" sort of repository. Basically, if it's bad, it'll be posted here. This tells me that there is a very low chance of failure-especially if you follow the instructions extremely carefully.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I will take the plunge and have a go! ) I'll let you know how I go!

nmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 08:39 AM

OK, I ran the SuperDrive Update and .... success!! So here is my next question (sorry to sound like an idiot) - I read the Read Me file of the Firmware Updater many times, but I am unsure of which to run: Update HBEA to region free or Update HBEA to standard

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 3, 2007, 08:54 AM

Worked fine for me on a Macbook C2D 2.0ghz:
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D (KBVB firmware revision) - Now region free, yey!

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 3, 2007, 08:56 AM

You'll want to "Update HBEA to region free",

"Update HBEA to standard" does the same process but in reverse, which I guess is handy if you want to resell the MacBook or take it to be serviced at Apple, etc...

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 3, 2007, 08:58 AM

Quick note: The installer will seem to hang for a few seconds at 60% and 90% (it did for me), BE PATIENT and it will finish just fine, DO NOT INTERUPT THE PROCESS!

Oh, one last thing, power cords have to be plugged in for this kind of update.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2007, 10:29 AM

What could the next Apple drive update do to a region free-flashed drive? Ignore it? Work fine? Ruin it?

nmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 07:08 AM

Thank you everyone!!!!!! I have a region free DVD drive now!!! This is the most helpful forum I have ever been on. Thanks for the great advice.

flock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 06:39 PM

cam anyone help me with:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J:
Firmware Revision: FBZ8

MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

tnx!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2007, 01:29 AM

I've also got:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D: Firmware Revision: KBVB

on a January 2007 black Macbook so I'm assuming that with the appropriate download firmware patch, I too, can be region-free.

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Worked fine for me on a Macbook C2D 2.0ghz:
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D (KBVB firmware revision) - Now region free, yey!
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by flock View Post
cam anyone help me with:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J:
Firmware Revision: FBZ8
Too new. No RPC-1 firmware yet.

Normally you have to wait until Apple issues a firmware updater which can then be hacked to RPC-1. If a brand new drive arrives and there's no 'official' patch available there's nothing to hack either.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
I've also got:
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D: Firmware Revision: KBVB
on a January 2007 black Macbook so I'm assuming that with the appropriate download firmware patch, I too, can be region-free.
Of course you can. The link to the appropriate firmware patch is given in the very first post of this thread.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by PER3 View Post
What could the next Apple drive update do to a region free-flashed drive? Ignore it? Work fine? Ruin it?
Just revert your firmware before upgrading it. In fact, don't even upgrade at all.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2007, 06:50 AM

I've got this patch working great on my Macbook Pro, but a quick question: has anyone managed to get Front Row to work properly? DVD Player works without dramas but Front Row will still kick up a fuss about regions.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 10, 2007, 02:35 PM

Sigh... the firmware's no problem, but I'm finding it difficult to source a program to allow the resetting of the OS "Number of changes" counter for a UK MB?

Region X causes problems (DVD Player crashes as the prefs go weird and need trashing) as I think it's only meant for drives that are originally RPC-1?

Does anyone know of a UK Software flasher at all?

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2007, 02:50 AM

Sigh... the firmware's no problem, but I'm finding it difficult to source a program to allow the resetting of the OS "Number of changes" counter for a UK MB?

Region X causes problems (DVD Player crashes as the prefs go weird and need trashing) as I think it's only meant for drives that are originally RPC-1?

Does anyone know of a UK Software flasher at all?
The MacBook being bought in the UK makes no difference, more likely the problems you are having are because you used the PPC version of Region X rather than the unofficial Intel build. If that is the case, you can download the Intel version courtesy of PowerBook-fr. If you were already using that then I'm afraid I do not know what is wrong.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 03:51 AM

I was using the Intel version... it states on Region X that it's to be used for drives that are originally RPC-1 only? That's why I assumed Region X was causing the bad prefs after resetting the drive count?!

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2007, 03:58 AM

I was using the Intel version... it states on Region X that it's to be used for drives that are originally RPC-1 only? That's why I assumed Region X was causing the bad prefs after resetting the drive count?!
Hoom. DVD Info X confirms that your drive is definitely RPC-1? The only other thing I can think to suggest is to create a new user and see if you have the same problems using that account; maybe it is just a preference conflict? Did you try using the PPC Region X before the Intel one?

PS - I've been using the Intel Region X with DVD Player on my UK-bought-MacBook for the past few weeks and have had no problems so far, which is why I am bemused by this.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 04:49 AM

Ok, I'll have a play this eve and report back, thanks for the insight!

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 03:11 PM

ARGH! This is driving me nuts, here's what's happening:

DVD Player launching results in a crash.

Trashing the prefs results in DVD player opening when there's no disk in the drive,
Inserting a disk then results in the DVD playing just fine, but a quit and relaunch of DVD player results in a crash (with the disk in/out of the drive).

Transfering my old reliable prefs/app from a backup makes no difference,
Repairing permissions makes no difference,
Having a RPC-1 or RPC-2 (using the firmware update/restore) drive makes no difference,
Changing the region to 0 using DVD Region X under RPC-1 firmware makes no difference,
Front Row, VLC, Handbrake all work completely fine.

So to summarise it seems as if DVD player is incapable of creating prefs that don't result in a crash the next time the app tries to play a movie/open.

Is there a way to restore just the DVD player app from my OS X disks? (doubt that'll work though!)
Is there another pref file I could try deleting somewhere?
Any idea how I can resolve this?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 03:13 PM

(For the record my firmware update seemed to go very smoothly, so this may be an unrelated problem as I hadn't played a DVD in quite some time, all other apps work and the drive is reporting the correct stats under both RPC-1 and the original RPC-2 setting when restored.)

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 03:26 PM

I am officially a dohnut, it was Shapeshifter all along... is everyone else managing to skin the DVD Player app aok?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 03:47 PM

..and now Front Row doesn't like the region issues, it was fine the first time around. Gees, I make foolishly try to make one app work and another one breaks.

pey2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 11:58 AM

Hi everyone,
I've been reading through this thread and I'm really interested in patching the drive on my MacBook Pro. System Profiler tells me I've got a MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E and the Revision number is ZA0E. I didn't see that listed in any of the posts. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks in advance for your help.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by pey2001 View Post
Hi everyone,
I've been reading through this thread and I'm really interested in patching the drive on my MacBook Pro. System Profiler tells me I've got a MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E and the Revision number is ZA0E. I didn't see that listed in any of the posts. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks in advance for your help.
I am pretty sure that you, like me, are out of luck for the moment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules