Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I Backup Leopard DVD

How do I Backup Leopard DVD (Page 2)
russ_c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 04:13 AM

I've successfully burned a backup copy of my Dad's family Pack of Leopard and I thought I should report my attempt...

I used Toast Titanium 7.0 on My MacBook Pro running OSX 10.4.11 to make a .toast image file that turned out to be about 7.5GB. I then burned the image to this verbatim DVD+R DL media:

Verbatim - 20-Pack 6x DVD+R DL Double-Layer Disc Spindle - 95310

The first one burned was a coaster which surprised me since this media is so highly rated (disc failed about half way through. But I made a second attempt, as I read this forum discussion and got a bootable install disc ( I made sure to set toast to use the slowest speed this time)! I did nothing special, just told toast to make an image and then burned it back onto the disc.

Hope that helps someone in some way...

atrix415
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 04:34 AM

What is the loading time people experiencing while using the backup of Leopard? My time of loading the DVD-DL is about 25-40 minutes depending on the system/speed of computer your on. Anyone?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 02:39 PM

By loading do you mean until the installation starts?, that's too much.

tvwillie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2008, 08:56 PM

I followed your Leopard Instructions to the max and I got an error code stating (Unable to create "Mac OSX Install DVD" (Input/output error). Please advise what might have gone wrong.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2008, 04:20 AM

Could be the burner speed is set to high… anyway, check this thread, I had post detailed info on how to copy it… worked for me.

http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...dvd-on-macpro/

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2008, 06:26 PM

My solution was to make a small partition on an external FireWire hard drive that would fit the install disk. Forgot if I restored the disk to there or copied it with CCC, but if I need to reinstall Leopard, I just plug in the external FireWire drive and boot from the Leopard partition.

It's much faster than installing from the original disk.

Edit: Just noticed that this solution was twice posted at the end of angelmb's link.
( Last edited by PER3; Jun 15, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: My solution already posted.)

Cold Warrior
Jun 15, 2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by PER3 View Post
My solution was to make a small partition on an external FireWire hard drive that would fit the install disk. Forgot if I restored the disk to there or copied it with CCC, but if I need to reinstall Leopard, I just plug in the external FireWire drive and boot from the Leopard partition.

It's much faster than installing from the original disk.

Edit: Just noticed that this solution was twice posted at the end of angelmb's link.
Yeah, that solution works great. I've done the same. Imaged the Leopard DVD, then "restored" to an external's partition. Leopard DVD image as source, partition as destination. Works great for booting and reinstallations if needed. Very fast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules