Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Using BootCamp and rEFit to install Linux

Using BootCamp and rEFit to install Linux
@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 6, 2008, 09:48 AM

I have this idea and I was wondering what you guys thought of it. I would start off first with installing rEFit. Then I was thinking of starting up Bootcamp and making a 15-20GB partition. After that I would boot to the Linux install disc, in this case Fedora. And then just reformat the 15-20GB partition and go from there. Any thoughts?

@pplejaxkz  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 05:13 PM

I've came back to this idea, as I have yet to try this. And I have come up with an important question. After a while if I were to want to get rid of my Linux partition, would I be able to merge back to only a Mac journaled partition via Bootcamp Assistant? Or does that only work with Windows partitions, because I'd be changing the partition type to an EXT3 instead of NTFS.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2008, 06:34 PM

I think it should work for ANY partition Boot Camp makes for you. It doesn't seem that Boot Camp cares what you do with it once you make the partition, and BC doesn't really "format" the partition—it just marks it as having a particular format. So it should work to get rid of your theoretical EXT3 partition when you theoretically get tired of it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

@pplejaxkz  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I think it should work for ANY partition Boot Camp makes for you. It doesn't seem that Boot Camp cares what you do with it once you make the partition, and BC doesn't really "format" the partition—it just marks it as having a particular format. So it should work to get rid of your theoretical EXT3 partition when you theoretically get tired of it.
Thanks a bunch for the input! I am now off to backup and install Linux. Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules