Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Issues with Parallels Desktop. Anybody?

Issues with Parallels Desktop. Anybody?
NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2010, 06:31 AM

I am experiencing some intermittent issues with Parallels on my MBP. They are impossible to reproduce and the nature of them is vague. Anyway it all looks like MBP freezes for a minute or two (yes, that long) when Windows 7 is running in Parallels. Just like that, out of the blue everything is frozen, even the clock is stuck. Except the beach ball.

I've been using Parallels since version 3 but that is the first time something like this occurs. After a minute or two everything gets back to normal. Doesn't happen very often, but is very annoying as I have a business critical app running in Windows.

Been to 'Geniuses' - offered to replace a harddrive. I had 500GB in back then but since swapped it to Intel X25 SSD, resinstalled everything from the scratch and the issue is still here. I will try to get some logs from Console next time it happens.

Ideas?

MBP CD 2.8 / 8G RAM / Latest Mac OS X / Latest Parallels.

PS: I would go to Parallels forums but they are usually dead silent.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2010, 07:29 AM

My experience with Parallels is from version 2, but I recall it taking its time sometimes. I know what you mean about Parallels' forums-pretty slow there.

Oh, and I moved your post to the Alt OS forum because this is where it belongs...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2010, 07:39 AM

I'd recommend testing your memory. If the ambient temp in your computer room has increased recently that may exacerbate failing memory.

Edit: I'm curious if these problems are OS-wide or just affects Windows. When Windows goes bonkers, can you run new programs on OSX without problems or is the computer locked-up?

ibook_steve
Jul 27, 2010, 12:07 PM

+1 on cgc's question. Is this just in Parallels or is OS X freezing as well? If not, I'd try reinstalling Parallels and Windows on a new virtual HD (or are you using a Boot Camp partition).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

hart
Senior User
Jul 27, 2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I'd recommend testing your memory. If the ambient temp in your computer room has increased recently that may exacerbate failing memory.
Thanks for that tip. My Fusion virtual machine has been the initiating factor in some visual anomolies (ending up in a black screen) that were fixed by downgrading to the memory the computer came with. But it's also been about 102 degree Fahrenheit here. I've been wondering how to check my memory but hadn't gotten around to worrying about it.

Oh and I agree, the Parallels forums seem to be completely dead. Seems like more than half the questions never get any replies at all. Even with all the guys at the Apple forums directing every single question about virtualization away to the Parallels forums as if they had cooties. :/
( Last edited by hart; Jul 27, 2010 at 06:57 PM. )

NeverTriedApple  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My experience with Parallels is from version 2, but I recall it taking its time sometimes. I know what you mean about Parallels' forums-pretty slow there.

Oh, and I moved your post to the Alt OS forum because this is where it belongs...
It worked fine until recent Parallels update or two. Could be some Windows or Mac update too or combination of them all - go figure.

Originally Posted by cgc View Post

Edit: I'm curious if these problems are OS-wide or just affects Windows. When Windows goes bonkers, can you run new programs on OSX without problems or is the computer locked-up?
Thanks for the link, I will give it a try.

Unfortunately when it happens I can't run anything, not even a Force Quit. Cursor is moving OK but only in freesbie mode, not clickable that is.

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
+1 on cgc's question. Is this just in Parallels or is OS X freezing as well? If not, I'd try reinstalling Parallels and Windows on a new virtual HD (or are you using a Boot Camp partition).

Steve
I tried reinstalling everything, including Windows itself - I didn't just copy the VM. I am running Windows in Parallels under Mac OS X. Windows loads on MBP start up and stays on pretty much until I shut down my Mac. It has dedicated 3GB RAM and runs MS SQL Server 2K8 and ERP App. Running Windows in Boot Camp is a last resort as I may just try Win XP if I find out it is Windows 7/Parallels compatibility bug.

It may sound like memory-related issue but one thing I forgot to mention. On one occasion, right after the lock-up, a message from Parallels popped up, saying something about I/O reading error and offering to delete the VM file as being corrupted. I rebooted the MBP and all was OK again. I saved everything important, ordered the SSD and reinstalled everything the next day just to learn a few days later that the problem still exists. This and all other times (3-4) there was no I/O error anymore, just intermittent freezing. A few words about memory. It is 8GB RAM from Crucial and as much as I like to use this company for reasonably priced memory upgrades, 6 out of 10 or 11 orders with them sooner or later turned out faulty and were replaced under warranty. So yeah, it could be memory but I will definitely run the test and record what's in log next time it happens.

Last bit. It only happens with Parallels and Windows 7 running. Mac OS X on it's own runs absolutely and perfectly well.

Many thanks for your input guys.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2010, 08:40 PM

Sounds like time to roll back to an earlier version of Parallels. Oh, and submit a bug report before you change to the earlier version, so they can (if they get around to it) fix the problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2010, 09:30 PM

I'd be a bit surprised if this is a Parallels/Windows 7 compatibility issue, only because I've been running Windows 7 in Parallels (currently at v5.0.9344) for a number of months now without any issue. FWIW, I also only have 1.5 GB of RAM assigned to Win7.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2010, 09:08 PM

CGC, the mem test you suggested says it works on 10.5. The site has not been updated since 10/08, so have you used it with 10.6? If so, I will get it!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2010, 06:24 AM

No...I bought and used it with 10.4 or 10.5 but it's the only one I know of. Have you emailed the author? I'm away from my Mac for another week but I can test it with 10.6 and let you know...this might not be for 10 days or so...

Forum Links
Forum Rules