Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Trying to wrap my head around Android

Trying to wrap my head around Android (Page 8)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 09:34 PM

The Gear works with all recent Samsung headsets. I still insist that Gear sales are slow because most people haven't gotten their hands on one yet (or they run iOS exclusively). I'm hard to impress with gadgets, and this one does, especially after the last 2 updates. It's a gem.

Edit: also, if you aren't scared of sideloading, you can use even older Samsung phones.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2013, 10:05 AM

There's always the Neptune Pine.

A great idea, and far closer to what I would want from a smart watch, but right now hampered by available technology. I am not afraid to let my inner geek hang out, but that thing is a damn brick.

I think a better idea than trying to push everything into a wearable device would be to concentrate on the core functionality, then leave the heavy lifting to a tablet device.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
There's always the Neptune Pine.

A great idea, and far closer to what I would want from a smart watch, but right now hampered by available technology. I am not afraid to let my inner geek hang out, but that thing is a damn brick.

I think a better idea than trying to push everything into a wearable device would be to concentrate on the core functionality, then leave the heavy lifting to a tablet device.

Something similar is looking for funding and it crossed my desk. It's a little thinner than the Gear, same screen size, half the weight, but largely works as an Android front-end (they're also looking into an iOS version too). If they could afford the 22nm fabrication, which appears to still be very expensive in smaller lots, they could make it happen. But yes, the Neptune is really big... they need to lose the bezel and the side bar.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Nov 26, 2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The Gear works with all recent Samsung headsets. I still insist that Gear sales are slow because most people haven't gotten their hands on one yet (or they run iOS exclusively). I'm hard to impress with gadgets, and this one does, especially after the last 2 updates. It's a gem.
I've missed that, I just remember the initial announcement and the ads here in Toronto where it is always shown together with the Note 3. I'm not pining for a smart watch, I'm quite happy with the mechanical watch on my wrist. On special occasions, I put on my grandfather's watch (which is one of the first quartz wrist watches).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2013, 01:01 PM

I had a look around the local Carphone Warehouse today, to see if they had a Nexus 5 I could play with (they did, it's a nice size for me, it really really could be my next phone now). Among the phones and dummy units out on display, there was a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, it is ridiculously huge for a phone. A 6.4" screen means it's basically a mini tablet. I've got big hands, but it was a struggle to comfortably hold it one handed, it did have the security tether on it, but without that it would still be a struggle.

Here's a google searched image of one, next to an iPhone, which is a small phone now, compared to the 4.5-5" android norm, but still, Sony, really?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2013, 04:01 AM

I've had an iPhone 3G, 4, and now a 5, but I'm finally coming to grips with the idea that it might not be my best option for much longer. The Nexus 5 is tempting, but I'm held in check by the crappy camera.

A few reasons I'm vacillating:

1. Google Now is an incredibly useful (albeit creepy) feature. I like the integration with Android, as opposed to its segmented corner in iOS.
2. Google's design is actually getting prettier and more useful, as Apple's seems to be forgetting that turning backgrounds white doesn't necessarily make things better. Case in point: Google Play Music is beautiful and more functional than Apple's redesigned Music app. Google Hangouts and Google Play Books are also better than their iOS counterparts in Messages and iBooks (the latter being perhaps the worst offender).
3. Apple's refusal to release a larger phone is becoming ridiculous. Every time I see an HTC One, I grimace out of jealousy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2013, 04:18 AM

Google Now is compelling.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2013, 09:00 AM

The Nexus 5 camera hardware is actually pretty good. It's a software issue that causes the slow focussing. It can, and hopefully will be, fixed. The Nexus 5 is a really excellent phone, I would not be afraid of giving it a try. If you decide it's not for you, you can always sell it on, the Nexus line holds value well.

A welcome side effect is that your phone bills will go down. After Christmas all phones in my household will be off contract, unlocked and owned by us - mine has been for some time now. This means that negotiating with the carriers for the best available deal becomes much, much easier. It's amazing what discount you can get when your stick is going to the competition.

I agree that google is getting better than Apple in several key areas. A small example, several of my albums are, randomly, not playing in iTunes Match. I also have all of my music stored in google music, where there are no such issues to report. In comparison to iTunes, the browser app is lightning fast.

My wife wants a larger phone, she is eyeing the Note 3. Most of the time, her phone lives in her purse so small size isn't really an issue. She also uses her phone are her main personal computer during working hours, so a bigger screen is a real benefit for her.
( Last edited by Phileas; Dec 1, 2013 at 09:16 AM. )

P
Dec 2, 2013, 06:04 AM

No, it works with the top-end smartphones: Galaxy S3 and S4, Note 2 and 3. It does not work with the Galaxy Express, Galaxy Mini, Galaxy Amp, Denim, Comment, Galaxy S2, Contour, Rush, Galaxy Reverb, Array, Galaxy S, S390G or Jitterbug - all smartphones which Samsung lists as still selling in the US. It also doesn't work with the dumbphone Kies that Sammy calls smartphones when it suits their stats. I'm only making this point because Sammy keeps saying that they sell the most smartphones in the world and wants everyone to believe that they're all Galaxy S4 and Note 3, when that is in fact a small sliver of what they sell.

We might very well be one generation away from a working smartwatch, but the Galaxy Gear is not it. Whoever put a bad camera into a device that is basically useless without a phone is either a creep who wants to take pictures without anyone noticing, or a slave to the feature checklist.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2013, 06:45 AM

To clarify, it works with their top-tier smartphones. I doubt anyone buying the 1-cent specials, or holding on to old tech, are interested in forking over $280 for the Gear, but I could be wrong.

I assure you it does work, and it works well, I use it every day. It's changed the way I communicate wirelessly, not having to dig the phone out of a pocket when I get calls is fantastic. The camera is there, it works wonderfully for QR code-scanning and that's all I care about. IMO, the Gear could be the gadget of the year.
- Thomas Paine

P
Dec 2, 2013, 08:29 AM

To clarify, it works with their top-tier smartphones. I doubt anyone buying the 1-cent specials, or holding on to old tech, are interested in forking over $280 for the Gear, but I could be wrong.
If you got a big Galaxy on a "great deal", you might be very disappointed. Not everyone is that into the details of the difference between a Galaxy S4 and a Galaxy Express.

I assure you it does work, and it works well, I use it every day. It's changed the way I communicate wirelessly, not having to dig the phone out of a pocket when I get calls is fantastic.
What, like a Bluetooth headset from the 1990s? Or for that matter, a wired handsfree from the dawn of time?

The camera is there, it works wonderfully for QR code-scanning and that's all I care about. IMO, the Gear could be the gadget of the year.
You scan QR-codes? You should take a picture of yourself and submit it:

Pictures of People Scanning QR-codes
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
What, like a Bluetooth headset from the 1990s? Or for that matter, a wired handsfree from the dawn of time?
Totally different experience, no need to be snarky. Wearing a watch that acts as an information hub is very different from having to don a pair of headphones. The latter is intrusive, the former isn't.

I use the Pebble, and despite its many shortcomings, it has convinced me that wearable computing is indeed the future. I was excited about the Toq, but the lack of a microphone and speaker has ruled it out for me. I'll be using the Pebble until something better comes along.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 10:43 AM

Totally different experience, no need to be snarky. Wearing a watch that acts as an information hub is very different from having to don a pair of headphones. The latter is intrusive, the former isn't.
I guess I'm confused over how it works. With the watch, don't you still have to don said "headphones" (err, as I mentioned I hate earpieces but they're hardly headphones last I checked), unless you want to be talking on speakerphone? Or else take out your phone?

The way you guys are describing it (and in the reviews I briefly scanned) are "it's not really any good for use beyond an easily accessible call screener". That certainly has great benefit, but on the other hand I'm still confused over what happens next. Okay, there's a call...then what?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

P
Dec 2, 2013, 11:22 AM

I use the Pebble, and despite its many shortcomings, it has convinced me that wearable computing is indeed the future. I was excited about the Toq, but the lack of a microphone and speaker has ruled it out for me. I'll be using the Pebble until something better comes along.
I used a Bluetooth headset (one of those you hang from your ear) with a single line display at some point. Enough to see who called. They've been around for a decade at least. People who use them like to have them hanging from a lanyard, check who called and pull it up to their ear. Sony has something now with a slightly bigger display that you can plug your headphones into.

I get that having notifications on your watch is a good idea, and I look forward to the day when I can get that in something that looks like a watch. The Galaxy Gear is the polar opposite of what I want. It's big and bulky to fit a camera that would make me feel like a creep if I wore it, and the only way to speak into it is to use it as a speakerphone and disturb everyone around me like a jackass.

OreoCookie
Dec 2, 2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
With the watch, don't you still have to don said "headphones" (err, as I mentioned I hate earpieces but they're hardly headphones last I checked), unless you want to be talking on speakerphone? Or else take out your phone?
That's the thing for me: I don't want a Bluetooth-enabled speaker phone or another battery I have to remember charging. For me there are three aspects which need to come together to make wearables a viable product:
(1) What is its use as a stand-alone device? How many devices can it replace with appropriate apps?
(2) What is the battery life if you use it?
(3) What can it do that a smartphone can't?

With regards to (1), I can see the usual applications in sports, I'd like to be able to use the same device to measure my pulse and other things while running but work as a cycle computer when I'm on two wheels. But that's a rather small market. For reasons (1) and (3) I don't even have a tablet yet, not because I don't want one, but because I want/need to spend the money elsewhere.

While I think that some companies are making attempts here, some of which may be viable in a certain niche (and there is nothing wrong with that), but I don't even think Samsung is in it for the long haul (unless some company cracks that nut). Potentially they just want to bolster their case for the next lawsuit so that Apple has to fork over a few millions as well.

Just as an aside, personally, I usually listen to music or podcasts when I travel, so I don't need the speaker phone functionality of a Galaxy Gear, I can use my headphone for that without having to take the phone out of my pocket.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2013, 02:08 PM

Indeed, I'm not sure what's up with the irritability.

We use QR codes for parts inventory at the garage; generate one, print the label, put it on the part. I don't know what's so odd about that.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 08:54 AM

I used a Bluetooth headset (one of those you hang from your ear) with a single line display at some point. Enough to see who called. They've been around for a decade at least. People who use them like to have them hanging from a lanyard, check who called and pull it up to their ear. Sony has something now with a slightly bigger display that you can plug your headphones into.
I know a guy who has one and when you get a call it says the name of the person calling (if available) or reads out the number.

Honestly, I simply don't get why the watch is any different if that's all it does, other than the fact that you get to wear it on your wrist and not on your ear like a dork. Everyone seems to agree that it's useless otherwise, except for the essential QR-code scanning.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 10:10 AM

My Jawbone will read me the number of the incoming call, or tell me the name if I've saved the number as a favorite on the headset itself (IIRC, there's like 12 slots for that).

The difference between that and a watch, to my imagination (not owning a smart watch), is that the watch talks to you out loud, while the headset is in your ear.

I use a headset in the car instead of a hands-free speaker, because when I'm riding with somebody else, it's always really uncomfortable/embarrassing to be listening in on their conversation. The caller has no way of knowing the context, or who's there.

I really hate that, and I don't inflict it upon anybody else.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
My Jawbone will read me the number of the incoming call, or tell me the name if I've saved the number as a favorite on the headset itself...
I'm here for you.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 12:28 PM

I know a guy who has one and when you get a call it says the name of the person calling (if available) or reads out the number.

Honestly, I simply don't get why the watch is any different if that's all it does, other than the fact that you get to wear it on your wrist and not on your ear like a dork. Everyone seems to agree that it's useless otherwise, except for the essential QR-code scanning.
I love how you and a few of your compatriots on this forum somehow represent "everyone" in the market. Ignoring the people who have actually tried and bought them (4.3 stars out of 5). If you haven't used one, then how is your opinion as valuable?

(hint: it isn't)
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Dec 3, 2013, 12:41 PM

I love how you and a few of your compatriots on this forum somehow represent "everyone" in the market. Ignoring the people who have actually tried and bought them (4.3 stars out of 5). If you haven't used one, then how is your opinion as valuable?
<serious mod voice>No ad hominem attacks, please. You need not have used something to have a viable opinion on it. </serious mod voice>

I think »success« or »good«/»bad« depends really on the goal: if Samsung's goal was to create a new category, then the Gear is a giant failure. But then, you don't need to open up a new category to have a successful business. To me, the Gear is another »whatever sticks to the wall« product, and even if you like it, the slumping sales should be a cause for concern (because maybe you want to buy the Gear 2 or Gear 4 to replace your current »swatch«).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 02:52 PM

(hint: it isn't)
1. My "compatriots"? What compatriots? By that do you mean people on this forum who have also expressed scepticism about the Gear? Is that what makes a compatriot these days? Wait, weren't you just making passive-aggressive comments about snark coming from other people? What colour's that kettle again?

2. I have asked specific questions for how and why it is so much better than a regular 'ol phone and BT earpiece combo. Have not yet received any substantive response other than your mention of QR codes, but you continue say it's a great product. I have asked questions because I am curious why you are claiming it is so great.

3. Really? Ratings on Amazon are now indicative of product quality? Out of every metric that I can think of to judge a product, that would probably be the last. I guess product reviews by professionals do not count in your books?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
<serious mod voice>No ad hominem attacks, please. You need not have used something to have a viable opinion on it. </serious mod voice>
Correct. Other comments, such as the mocking one about QR-codes, don't contribute anything to the conversation and only serve to attract ire. As I've mentioned before, some people can't communicate without adding a degree of biting sarcasm and dismissing the opinions of others with it. It's a nasty habit, like smoking or nose-picking.

I think »success« or »good«/»bad« depends really on the goal: if Samsung's goal was to create a new category, then the Gear is a giant failure. But then, you don't need to open up a new category to have a successful business. To me, the Gear is another »whatever sticks to the wall« product, and even if you like it, the slumping sales should be a cause for concern (because maybe you want to buy the Gear 2 or Gear 4 to replace your current »swatch«).
On the contrary, there are several misconceptions regarding product function, and this can be directly attributed to not having used the device. For a short conversation, talking in a normal voice (not shouting), directed at the watch, is perfectly acceptable:

"Hi, will you be home for dinner?"
"Yes, I'm on my way."
"Okay, see you soon."

For longer exchanges, putting the earpiece on is quick and painless, then you press the connect button on the earpiece, naturally allowing for much more privacy. As mentioned before, one of the aspects I really like is glancing at the Gear, checking out who's calling, then directing them to voicemail with a single tap, all without digging out the phone. It's similar with text messages, you look to see who it is, and if it's urgent, then you can (with a single touch) direct a pre-made reply to that person, letting them know that you're busy but will get back with them shortly. While some of these functions were a little buggy at first, the software has become much more stable and reliable, allowing for more seamless integration.

As Phileas and I were saying before, it really is something you need to adjust to and work with, one of those things you can't imagine liking until you live with it for a short while. No, it won't make you love watches if you already hate wearing them, but if you're already a watch-wearer it (the Gear or the Pebble) could be quite useful, provided you already like products with which they are compatible. Since I'm "mobile OS ambidextrous", that doesn't bother me.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 03:35 PM

As an aside, the boost in battery life to my N7 from Kit-Kat was enormous.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 03:38 PM

1. My "compatriots"? What compatriots? By that do you mean people on this forum who have also expressed scepticism about the Gear? Is that what makes a compatriot these days? Wait, weren't you just making passive-aggressive comments about snark coming from other people? What colour's that kettle again?
Which started with the QR sarcasm?

2. I have asked specific questions for how and why it is so much better than a regular 'ol phone and BT earpiece combo. Have not yet received any substantive response other than your mention of QR codes, but you continue say it's a great product. I have asked questions because I am curious why you are claiming it is so great.
Look above, I also mentioned those earlier, in this same thread.

3. Really? Ratings on Amazon are now indicative of product quality? Out of every metric that I can think of to judge a product, that would probably be the last. I guess product reviews by professionals do not count in your books?
The only two people who have actually tried smartwatches on this forum are impressed by them, also more recent reviews after the software updates are much more favorable. Scoffing at Amazon reviews is your prerogative, but perhaps you should take the time to read them, then you'll see that many have a lot of substance.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 04:52 PM

Which started with the QR sarcasm?
You have repeatedly mentioned this. It was clearly and obviously a joke by that poster. I'm struggling to understand why such an innocuous joke seems to have gotten under your skin so much.

If you do not like such jokes or sarcasm, then I'd like to politely tell you to shut the **** up about it; other people do, and they are more than entitled to use it on a public forum. I know you're not very good at the funny, but there is no reason to incessantly rag on someone who is.

OreoCookie
Dec 3, 2013, 05:15 PM

On the contrary, there are several misconceptions regarding product function, and this can be directly attributed to not having used the device. For a short conversation, talking in a normal voice (not shouting), directed at the watch, is perfectly acceptable:
To understand this, you only need to have used any speaker phone in public. Regarding call screening, most of the time I sit on a desk and I can see these information at a glance on my larger smartphone screen.
As Phileas and I were saying before, it really is something you need to adjust to and work with, one of those things you can't imagine liking until you live with it for a short while. No, it won't make you love watches if you already hate wearing them, but if you're already a watch-wearer it (the Gear or the Pebble) could be quite useful, provided you already like products with which they are compatible. Since I'm "mobile OS ambidextrous", that doesn't bother me.
Personally, I do wear watches almost all the time (I take them off during sports), but I prefer a classic, analog watch, so I have no aversion to watches, quite the contrary. I've outlined in a previous post what I think a smart watch (or whatever you want to call them) has to be able to do in order to be interesting to me and a larger portion of the market. That does not preclude them from being useful to others (like Phileas and yourself), but I think my points apply if you want to have a mass market product instead of a companion device to a specific few higher-end Samsung smartphones. I would consider buying one if it would combine stand-alone navigation and sports functionality (heart rate monitor, speed, distance, etc.). Obviously, it should connect to my Mac or iPhone and have decent battery life (no use if it dies halfway on my bike trip).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 05:51 PM

You have repeatedly mentioned this. It was clearly and obviously a joke by that poster. I'm struggling to understand why such an innocuous joke seems to have gotten under your skin so much.

If you do not like such jokes or sarcasm, then I'd like to politely tell you to shut the **** up about it; other people do, and they are more than entitled to use it on a public forum. I know you're not very good at the funny, but there is no reason to incessantly rag on someone who is.
Is that some internet toughguy routine? I mentioned it twice, after you did it.

Everyone seems to agree that it's useless otherwise, except for the essential QR-code scanning.
Let's be frank, here. Everyone (the correct use of "everyone") around here knows that one of your hobbies is to follow me in different threads and try to bait me, you've been doing it for what seems like ages. So I'll tell you what, you stop doing that and I'll stop playing the part of Mr Obvious and pointing it out? Aren't the barbs getting old after all these years? And over what, ideological differences in the PL that started 9 years ago? Almost a decade of that, and you (and a few others) wonder how it gets under someone's skin? That's not especially genuine.

Edit: BTW, if you want to have it out in a Feedback thread, or whatever, to get things off your chest, I'm fine with that. This incessant ticky-tack stuff all the time (not just from you, specifically) has gotten old.
- Thomas Paine

P
Dec 3, 2013, 05:51 PM

Shaddim: You got that upset by that link about the QR code? Really? Well then, in as neutral a voice as I can manage:

You were very enthusiastic about how it was great to not have to get the phone out of your pocket to communicate. I explained that that function has been available for at least a decade by now in the form of displays on BT headsets with the added bonus of not annoying everyone around you with a speakerphone conversation. They also cost far less, and you don't have to charge them as often.

I said that the camera was the main flaw in the Galaxy Gear, as I saw it, because it sets the bulky shape and because I think putting spy cameras in everyday objects is creepy. You explained how it was great for scanning QR codes, and answered with that link, meant to imply that that was not a major use case. It's also a bit of an oddball solution to your use case - NFC tags would be more efficient - and if scanning those barcodes was the true main use case, you can fit a tiny 2D barcode scanner there instead that does the same job faster, more securely, with lower energy use and taking up less space. I think that they shoved the camera in there because they don't really know what it will be used for, so they're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

If I'm going to continue with the rest of the thread: With Samsung's history of paying for anonymous "crowdsourced" reviews, I am not inclined to trust the score on Amazon when all the professional reviews I've seen are so unanimously terrible.

And to be absolutely clear: I'm not down on the entire wearables or smartwatches trend. I think that it is quite interesting, which is why the Gear disturbs me so much. I fear that the bad reception it has received will scare people off the entire idea for some time, and that would be a shame. If I thought that the entire concept was terrible, I wouldn't spend time thinking about it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 06:10 PM

Shaddim: You got that upset by that link about the QR code? Really? Well then, in as neutral a voice as I can manage:
I think we hit submit at the same time. It's not the single event, far from it, perhaps after all these years (culminating in people even making bogus accounts, and resorting to skullduggery, to get at me) it's finally exposing a nerve.

Regarding QR-codes, my parts distributor (the main one) uses them, so we adopted them for uniformity.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 06:28 PM

I think we hit submit at the same time. It's not the single event, far from it, perhaps after all these years (culminating in people even making bogus accounts, and resorting to skullduggery, to get at me) it's finally exposing a nerve.
I will repeat: it was a very obvious joke.

Is that some internet toughguy routine? I mentioned it twice, after you did it.
After I...made the same joke about scanning QR codes. Are you just completely immune to anything approaching humour? Is that it?

Let's be frank, here. Everyone (the correct use of "everyone") around here knows that one of your hobbies is to follow me in different threads and try to bait me, you've been doing it for what seems like ages. So I'll tell you what, you stop doing that and I'll stop playing the part of Mr Obvious and pointing it out? Aren't the barbs getting old after all these years? And over what, ideological differences in the PL that started 9 years ago?
Wtf? 9 years ago? I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Almost a decade of that, and you (and a few others) wonder how it gets under someone's skin? That's not especially genuine.
Get off your high ****ing horse. Bait you? You keep taking a "teh world is agin me" stance at every perceived slight whilst simultaneously passively-aggressively insulting others in return, even when it's nothing more than a harmless joke someone made about QR code scanning of all things - a joke which you then, natch, related to the activities of nose-picking and smoking. Holy hell man, you need to look in the mirror every once in a while, or else perhaps stick your nose in the toilet and see if it don't smell like roses.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm here for you.
You know my favorites, don't you.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 06:51 PM

After I...made the same joke about scanning QR codes. Are you just completely immune to anything approaching humour? Is that it?
I was talking about you not being in any position to tell me to "shut the **** up", ever. You can back up, right there.

Wtf? 9 years ago? I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
riiiight.

Get off your high ****ing horse. Bait you? You keep taking a "teh world is agin me" stance at every perceived slight whilst simultaneously passively-aggressively insulting others in return, even when it's nothing more than a harmless joke someone made about QR code scanning of all things - a joke which you then, natch, related to the activities of nose-picking and smoking. Holy hell man, you need to look in the mirror every once in a while, or else perhaps stick your nose in the toilet and see if it don't smell like roses.
You know what I'm on about, I'm not sparring with you in this thread over it, this has all gone on long enough. You, and several others around here, need to get over it.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2013, 07:03 PM

Are you guys done? I thought it was rather more interesting to talk about situations where a smart watch might be useful and not embarrassing.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2013, 09:48 PM

How I see it:

The guys who have used a smart-watch in real life find them useful.

The guys who haven't used a smart-watch in real life wonder what the hell the big deal is.

It's a bit like when cellphones first came out. Many people thought they were stupid/a rich kid's toy/intrusive/unnecessary/not for them.
Or, I recall the venomous reaction on this very forum when the iPod was first launched. Stupid/low tech/not needed were some of the kinder comments.

Let's perhaps give those watches a chance, even if right now they might not be for you.

OreoCookie
Dec 3, 2013, 11:51 PM

The guys who have used a smart-watch in real life find them useful.

The guys who haven't used a smart-watch in real life wonder what the hell the big deal is.
The Galaxy Gear is the Diamond Rio of smart watches.
It's a bit like when cellphones first came out. Many people thought they were stupid/a rich kid's toy/intrusive/unnecessary/not for them.
Or, I recall the venomous reaction on this very forum when the iPod was first launched.
With each of these products, I could see a use case and usually the only big negative was the substantial price tag. (I paid 700 € for my first iPod.) With smart watches, I don't see it -- yet.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2013, 12:01 AM

The build quality is much higher than the Rio and it's much easier to navigate it's menus.

With each of these products, I could see a use case and usually the only big negative was the substantial price tag. (I paid 700 € for my first iPod.) With smart watches, I don't see it -- yet.
I remember; "ugly box", "ugly menus", "clunky interface", "too heavy", "too bulky". They still took off, however, after a couple revisions. I think the Gear will improve in the same fashion. When cameras first came out on cell phones people said the same thing then, "Why do you want a camera on your phone? There's too much opportunity to use them inappropriately."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2013, 12:06 AM

Honestly, if you wear a watch, and it comes in the style you want*, I can't see why you wouldn't want one.

*As in "nice jewelry".

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2013, 01:02 AM

This isn't meant as an insult, Apple enthusiasts are often loyal to a fault (like Harley owners), and I believe part of it is because Apple doesn't make it. And before anyone says "it's too bulky and clunky for Apple", remember the Newton, QuickTake, and Lisa. An argument can be made for the Pippin, but I thought it was decent, I even still have mine.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Honestly, if you wear a watch, and it comes in the style you want*, I can't see why you wouldn't want one.
That's exactly right. And Shaddim and Phileas have obviously been raving about the device. Which is why I have been pointing out the dichotomy between that stance, and the fact that it has been near-universally panned by professional gear reviewers.

The only actual positive review that Shaddim bothered to link to, above, concluded with the reviewer emphatically saying that she liked the device, but would not pay Samsung's price. I mean...on the one hand we have these two saying "product of the year" and "you have to use it to understand"....on the other hand, you have people who have used it and worn it in a professional capacity saying it's not good kit or not worth it. When you ask them to further explain why it's so good and how they use it....well, it doesn't end well of course, because you might be involved in a larger conspiracy of subversion.

In any event, 85+% of my calls are confidential and cannot be on speakerphone. It does not seem that the Gear would be good for my situation.

P
Dec 4, 2013, 09:57 AM

I'm seriously considering making this my new signature. This is exactly the problem with the Galaxy Gear. I think I still have my Rio 600 somewhere - nothing wrong with the build quality on that one, at least.

P
Dec 4, 2013, 10:09 AM

This isn't meant as an insult, Apple enthusiasts are often loyal to a fault (like Harley owners), and I believe part of it is because Apple doesn't make it.
So Apple doesn't make a smartwatch, and this is your reason why we dislike a specific smartwatch - at least I have considered a Pebble, and that Rio 600 I once bought is a large part of the reason I haven't bothered yet. If Apple made a smartwatch, wouldn't that be the reason we didn't like any smartwatch made by anyone else?

And before anyone says "it's too bulky and clunky for Apple", remember the Newton, QuickTake, and Lisa. An argument can be made for the Pippin, but I thought it was decent, I even still have mine.
You're quoting products from 1993, 1994 and 1983. Why not bring up the bulkiest of them all, the PowerMac 9600? Apple didn't always make slick products - that is very much a Jony Ive thing. For me personally, computers looking good is nice side effect, and if my phone is pretty is beside the point - I bought them because of the user experience.

And yes, everyone complained about cameras in phones, but there there was a definite tradeoff. You got a feature - having a camera always on you - in the bargain, and by the time that camera got good enough to bother with, the tradeoff started to make sense. The Galaxy Gear barely does anything without its companion phone, so you already have a much better camera in your pocket.

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2013, 10:29 AM

The build quality is much higher than the Rio and it's much easier to navigate it's menus.
My comment wasn't about build quality or menus, both are a premature incarnation of an idea before all the pieces are in place. And personally, I am much more intrigued by the Pebble than the Galaxy Gear.
I remember; "ugly box", "ugly menus", "clunky interface", "too heavy", "too bulky". They still took off, however, after a couple revisions.
Too bulky? It was literally the biggest iPod ever made (the first 20 GB version), but compared to what was on the market at the time, it wasn't bulky. I remember one time soon after I got my iPod, I sat on a bus with a kid who was pretentiously playing with his Archos Jukebox (which had a 2.5" harddrive, a clunky interface and first-gen USB for data transfer). He realized I was eyeing his toy. After a few minutes, I wanted to change song, and a glance at my iPod wiped the smirk off his face The iPod was like the first iPad: you could see that this was the right implementation of the correct idea. It was easy to grasp for people what that thing was good for. And after a few iterations, you can buy an iPad that weighs at least 1/3 less, has a retina screen and a desktop class cpu, not bad for almost four years of kaizen.

PS I loved my first iPod and used it until the headphone jack failed four years after I had bought it.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2013, 10:34 AM

I'm seriously considering making this my new signature. This is exactly the problem with the Galaxy Gear. I think I still have my Rio 600 somewhere - nothing wrong with the build quality on that one, at least.
That's simply not true. The Gear gets a multitude of things right that the Rio never did - especially the user experience. This is even more true since the recent software update that now channels all Android notification to the Gear, a major issue for first reviews. Unlike the Rio, using the Gear is fun and intuitive.

Where the Gear, and other Smart Watches, are currently struggling is size and quality of components - but that will get better. The Gear's much maligned camera is probably still better than the first camera on an iPhone ever was. Battery life will improve. Size will get smaller. Earpieces will shrink - I can foresee a future version where you wear a button in your ear for audio out and use the microphone on the watch to talk into.

All of the above are just technological challenges. They'll get figured out. What stands is that the people who have used them, admittedly on a geeky forum, are finding them useful. Fun. Easy to use. And that's what matters.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 AM

This isn't meant as an insult, Apple enthusiasts are often loyal to a fault (like Harley owners), and I believe part of it is because Apple doesn't make it. And before anyone says "it's too bulky and clunky for Apple", remember the Newton, QuickTake, and Lisa. An argument can be made for the Pippin, but I thought it was decent, I even still have mine.
Channeling some serious shif here.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2013, 12:07 PM

r Smart Watches, are currently struggling is size and quality of components - but that will get better. The Gear's much maligned camera is probably still better than the first camera on an iPhone ever was. Battery life will improve. Size will get smaller. Earpieces will shrink - I can foresee a future version where you wear a button in your ear for audio out and use the microphone on the watch to talk into.
Interesting take.

I remain unconvinced about talking into the watch. You're already talking about wearing a headset, in which case, you might as well wear a headset. This is a solved problem.

I'm intrigued to see what other problems the smart watch itself will solve or alleviate.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2013, 01:11 PM

You're already talking about wearing a headset, in which case, you might as well wear a headset. This is a solved problem.
Invisibility. Wearing a headset is intrusive. Popping a button in your ear isn't. Anyway, that's all speculation.

P
Dec 4, 2013, 01:30 PM

So if you had an "invisible" headset (just an ear piece that detected your voice through transmissions through the bone) that also spoke notifications and caller ID in Siri voice or similar, that would be fine and you wouldn't need a smartwatch? Because that sounds doable.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2013, 02:36 PM

So if you had an "invisible" headset (just an ear piece that detected your voice through transmissions through the bone) that also spoke notifications and caller ID in Siri voice or similar, that would be fine and you wouldn't need a smartwatch? Because that sounds doable.
Currently existing headsets (as mentioned) already do this.

I'm not sure talking to your wrist is less visible than wearing a Jawbone ERA.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2013, 02:54 PM

Currently existing headsets (as mentioned) already do this.

I'm not sure talking to your wrist is less visible than wearing a Jawbone ERA.
The Smartwatch does a bucket load of things that Siri/Jawbone can't, specifically email/messages/calendar reminders. I can do this by glancing at the watch and then decide if further action is warranted. It's a rich experience that is nonetheless less interruptive than any alternative I can think of, certainly less interruptive than Siri reading me my email.

I think part of the problem with using a Jawbone is that there is no visual clue that the owner is making a call - you look like you're talking to yourself. I actually think that talking to your watch, from a social level, is more acceptable, the same way that, currently, talking into a phone signals your activity to the world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules