Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Wheels coming off Straight Talk Express

Wheels coming off Straight Talk Express
Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 03:39 AM

He can't decide from day to day if he's for an AIG bailout or against it, a champion of deregulation or a crusading regulator of Wall Street, one of his primary mouth pieces says neither he nor Palin are qualified to run a corporation, puts us on a war footing with Spain, gets called a liar by major media outlets, Palin gets caught in yet another half-truth about cutting he pay as Mayor, the CONSERVATIVE media is turning against him, including a question of his campaign ethics by Karl Rove, and the national polls are slipping away.

So. Is it over? We've had the discussion about the Democrats nominating the wrong guy, but it's pretty obvious the Republican have nominated a train wreck whose presidential hopes are being kept alive by a gimmick of a VP pick that is rapidly losing it's lustre.

It would seem McCain's only hope at this point is a major self-imposed Obama melt-down or the possibility, come election day, America decides it really is more comfortable with an old white guy at the helm, everything else be damned.

If, as it's seeming more and more likely, he loses this thing, McCain's campaign will go down in the books as the one that made Kerry's, Dole's and Gore's seem well run.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 04:04 AM

All you need to know is that Palin and McCain are ready.

Just remember these words and make sure to vote for McCain/Palin:

Reform, Ready, Change

Just don't ask them about details because all the answers will have 3 words:

Reform, Ready, Change
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
All you need to know is that Palin and McCain are ready.

Just remember these words and make sure to vote for McCain/Palin:

Reform, Ready, Change

Just don't ask them about details because all the answers will have 3 words:

Reform, Ready, Change
I don't buy into that sloganeering crap.

That's why I choose HOPE.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2008, 09:40 AM

Yet another stalwart conservative throws McCain under "the Straight Talk" Express bus.

Originally Posted by George F. Will
It is arguable that, because of his inexperience, Obama is not ready for the presidency. It is arguable that McCain, because of his boiling moralism and bottomless reservoir of certitudes, is not suited to the presidency. Unreadiness can be corrected, although perhaps at great cost, by experience. Can a dismaying temperament be fixed?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092202583.html

It's getting brutal.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 09:48 AM

Meanwhile Bill Clinton says this:

I genuinely like both of them," Clinton said. "I genuinely admire both of them. I think that we make a terrible mistake believing we have to find something wrong with the people we can't vote for. I like them. I like John McCain. If it hadn't been for John McCain, I'm not sure I could have normalized relations with Vietnam.
The debates could change the outcome, Clinton added. But he called Obama a smart man and a good candidate who has grown through the process. Clinton said: "I think he's ready to be president. And I think McCain's ready to be president. You've got to decide which president you want.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 09:51 AM

Dp.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Meanwhile Bill Clinton says this:
Heavens. Clinton is FINALLY acting with the decorum expected of an ex-president? I never thought I'd see the day.

Even so, not exactly a stinging indightment of Obama.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Heavens. Clinton is FINALLY acting with the decorum expected of an ex-president? I never thought I'd see the day.

Even so, not exactly a stinging indightment of Obama.
Who said it was?

Though, I think such a popular Democrat ex-President saying such things about the opposing nominee so close to the election says a whole lot more than a less than flattering quote from a boring columnist that those on the left don't even care about, and most on the right don't go out of their way to pay any attention to.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2008, 10:12 AM

Who said it was?

Though, I think such a popular Democrat ex-President saying such things about the opposing nominee so close to the election says a whole lot more than a less than flattering quote from a boring columnist that those on the left don't even care about, and most on the right don't go out of their way to pay any attention to.
Why? Maybe Clinton does have genuine respect for McCain. Do you expect him to lie about it?
(Actually, don't answer that. He's Bill Clinton, after all -- I guess I do expect him to lie about just about anything....)

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2008, 10:13 AM

Given his track record, perhaps the greater surprise is that Clinton said something so positive about Obama. As for Will being someone nobody cares about... I'm not sure how you measure such a statement, but considering how much ink and screen time he gets, I really can't agree with you there.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 10:24 AM

Will hasn't been relevant in years IMO.

The Clinton thing IS significant because it's deliberate. Has ASKED to be on the view where he said those things. He repeated the same tone on Letterman and he will appear with Greta Van Susteren tonight I think. Whether he is just being honest or he is deliberately trying to divide this election so his wife can run in 2012, it is far more significant than the opinion of a right-wing columnist. George Will's opinions will not sway ANYONE whom his statement was designed to reach. Bill Clinton's just might.

And frankly since we all know that Bill should know better, we all know why he's doing this.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 10:27 AM

I think it's obvious that the only tears the Clinton's would shed if Obama lost would be "crocodile tears". Neither are going to do any more than they are obliged to (due to party politics) to help him. I'm not doubting what Clinton says, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have given the positive words to McCain had it been Hillary who won the nomination and it was just months until the election. Really, who is he kidding?

Forum Links
Forum Rules