Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe "Contribute." Where's the blessed 'missing manual'?

Adobe "Contribute." Where's the blessed 'missing manual'?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2009, 05:49 PM

So I got chance to upgrade DW (used for managing files more than designing) and wanted to check out whether "Contribute" would ever be useful for a client to manage (via browser) simple sections of their site.

Supposedly it's possible to allow client to edit sections I so designate of certain pages *via a web browser*.

But of course the "help" from Adobe only helps me give permissions to clients who would buy their own copies of "contribute".

And the first few dozen search results on such as "adobe contribute tutorial" never address this. Nor is there any book yet published (amazon) on "Adobe Contribute".

[Yes, Adobe would probably sell me some training. Thank you... not. ]

Anyone stumbled on the missing clues?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2009, 06:36 PM

All of your clients would need their own copy of Contribute, and it quite frankly sucks anyway (at least last I used it). The Mac client was very quirky, the code absolute garbage, and the headaches in trying to straighten out the goofy things people do with Contribute not worth it.

In this day and age of having a gazillion web-based content management solutions to choose from that don't require paying for a special client, that people can access from anywhere, and that generally work very well, I honestly don't see the point in using Contribute.

Just my two cents. I'm happy to provide some alternative suggestions if you need them, I'm sure many others here have ideas too.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2009, 11:19 PM

Ah. I misunderstood. I've enjoyed experimenting with my own CMS designs, but thought it would be interested to see what Adobe had developed.

Your comments, however, leave me in serious doubt how much is to be learned there.

AND: although I *was* sure that I had read they had a browser-based avenue, I now read more carefully in a review of CS4 Contribute, "The ability to open and edit a webpage from inside of your browser is also only for Windows users..."

Now I am free to wish that Adobe rot in that special sector of Hades where I had thought residence had been earned only by MS.

On a more positive note: I'd be delighted to hear about the alternate solutions you think most worth some evaluation!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules