Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lion and full screen mode with multiple displays

Lion and full screen mode with multiple displays
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2011, 01:24 PM

I might be late to the party, but has anyone else noticed that the new Lion "full-screen mode" is essentially only useful with a single monitor?

If you try to use it with "spaces" (aka "Mission Control"), the second monitor gets this gray-fabric pattern and you can't do a thing with it. Essentially if you want to use multiple monitors under OSX Lion you need to give up using the new Full Screen mode. Not a huge-deal, but you'd think someone would have fixed this in development? Are there that few of us that use multiple displays? (Since Apple is shipping a spiffy new 27" monitor to go with their new notebooks I'd think the answer is no, but ...)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2011, 06:15 PM

Of course. iPads only have one screen.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Of course. iPads only have one screen.
I believe Macs have been renamed to iPad Pros.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2011, 08:14 PM

Ahh ... took me a second to figure out what you all were doing right there. Got it.

In all seriousness though: I like the full-screen model. I've always hated the wasted screen space that comes with partial-screen windows. It's nice to see that Windows 8 is also moving in that direction.

Hopefully the multi-monitor issue gets fixed in a service pack, or at least with 10.8
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2011, 11:34 PM

Yeah this is one of the worst oversights. Especially since Apple markets the Thunderbolt display as having the option of TWO displays hooked up to a MacBook Pro.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Yeah this is one of the worst oversights. Especially since Apple markets the Thunderbolt display as having the option of TWO displays hooked up to a MacBook Pro.
Agreed. I'm not sure how that didn't become an issue during testing or beta. The Apple respose is that "you can still use the thing like you used to". True: But then you also can't take advantage of this much-hyped new feature.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2011, 12:21 PM

Just another example of Apple ignoring their pro-consumers. I've actually been fairly disappointed with MacOS's dual monitor functionality for awhile; it's quite annoying to have an app on the second screen but it's menu bar is located on the primary screen. Fortunately, there are hacks to fix Apple's oversight.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Just another example of Apple ignoring their pro-consumers. I've actually been fairly disappointed with MacOS's dual monitor functionality for awhile; it's quite annoying to have an app on the second screen but it's menu bar is located on the primary screen. Fortunately, there are hacks to fix Apple's oversight.
That's a non-issue. When you bring up monitor settings you can drag the menu bar to whichever monitor you want to have it. No hacks needed.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
That's a non-issue. When you bring up monitor settings you can drag the menu bar to whichever monitor you want to have it. No hacks needed.
I don't know how you use multiple monitors, but I typically use them to multitask, with different apps on each monitor. Your suggestion doesn't work if you run one app on one monitor and a second app on another monitor ... unless you keep jumping into settings each time you jump from one app to another.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2011, 03:51 PM

You want the menu bar to keep jumping from one monitor to the next depending on which screen you are using? That would annoy me.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
You want the menu bar to keep jumping from one monitor to the next depending on which screen you are using? That would annoy me.
Of course not. That would annoy me as well. But, that is only ONE possible solution. Quite honestly, I think Windows has a superior design in this regard, where the Menu Bar is attached to each window rather than being at the OS layer. The hack that I've found isn't too bad; it clones the Menu Bar to the other monitor, so you have the Menu Bar on each monitor.

It seems to me as though this lack of design consideration is a similar symptom as the lack of though for full screen support. It's a tricky problem where solutions contradict fundamental MacOS designs that Apple chooses not to deal with since the user base most impacted (ie: advanced users with frequently used multiple monitor setups) are few.

Forum Links
Forum Rules