Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dead SuperDrive in MacBook: Good, cheap, compatible external?

Dead SuperDrive in MacBook: Good, cheap, compatible external?
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 30, 2011, 02:31 AM

I pop the disc in, the drive whines and kicks it out. Tried repeatedly with reboots and under Windows.

But, I need an optical drive. So does anybody know of a solid cheapie that's OS X compatible?

Grazi.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 05:02 AM

Try both a CD and a DVD, could just be one laser busted.

That said I went with out a optical for a long time. Any USB external is OS X compatible. Just some dont do boots. Generally those slim ones that power off the USB dont boot. The full size externals like a LG do and are faster then even the built in one you had. I picked up a lightscribe LG last year because i wanted to make some nice photo DVDs for a friend. Still hardly use it but when I re ripped all my CDs, man was worth it with the speed it has.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

P
Nov 30, 2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
. Any USB external is OS X compatible. Just some dont do boots.
This. If you need one that will boot and is also stylish, get the one that Apple sells for the MBA.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Carl Hezel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2012, 08:03 PM

the macbook air superdrive is only compatible with computers that don't have a built in superdrive

P
Dec 14, 2012, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Carl Hezel View Post
the macbook air superdrive is only compatible with computers that don't have a built in superdrive
Incorrect. The only thing that is required is a single USB port that provides enough power (more than the standard really requires), and a lot of computers deliver that. Alternatively, you can get a powered hub and just not fill it up completely.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2012, 03:55 AM

The early ones had hardware limitations beyond power constraints.

When did this change?

P
Dec 14, 2012, 02:26 PM

Really? I've used one with a PC even, it's a bog-standard USB-to-ATA chip and a regular laptop optical drive. Granted it was likely not from the old MBAs (the ones with an 1.8" HDD), but I don't understand why anyone would make a drive any other way than the standard model.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2012, 02:52 PM

I think the restrictions were in the Macs/drivers.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules