Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is there an unerase feature?

Is there an unerase feature?
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 01:30 AM

Is there a way to unerase stuff you deleted in Tiger without third party utilities?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 05:17 AM

Nope. Data Rescue is a pretty good app, though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra
Is there a way to unerase stuff you deleted in Tiger without third party utilities?
The reasoning is because if you've done anything to your drive since deleting the file, the file may already be corrupt. If this is your boot drive and you have rebooted, you don't know if the virtual memory file overwrote the data... if you received e-mail, used safari, etc...
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Nope. Data Rescue is a pretty good app, though.

nah. the interface is a mess. a year ago or so their localisations were the worst imaginable (but I think that has changed now) and rescuing data took ages without a hint of how much more time it might take (if one process is finished, another status bar comes up and yet another after that).

but OK, it did what it was supposed to do, so it is better than nothing.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by :haripu:
nah. the interface is a mess. a year ago or so their localisations were the worst imaginable (but I think that has changed now) and rescuing data took ages without a hint of how much more time it might take (if one process is finished, another status bar comes up and yet another after that).

but OK, it did what it was supposed to do, so it is better than nothing.

Sometimes, user interface is irrelevant, and all that is important really is whether or not it gets the job done. In this respect, Data Rescue X is fabulous, regardless of the user interface. Nothing else comes close as far as ability to recover data from failing drives.

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Detrius
Sometimes, user interface is irrelevant, and all that is important really is whether or not it gets the job done. In this respect, Data Rescue X is fabulous, regardless of the user interface. Nothing else comes close as far as ability to recover data from failing drives.
yes, that is about what I said in my last sentence. it gets the job done.

( but I don't think the UI is irrelevant. If it had been simple and elegant as well as usful, this would be a tool I would have bought years ago - just to be on the save side. since it is the unattractive mess it is I am saving up this purchase for a real emergency.

I only speak for myself, but do you see the difference the UI makes for the software company in this case? )

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by :haripu:
yes, that is about what I said in my last sentence. it gets the job done.

( but I don't think the UI is irrelevant. If it had been simple and elegant as well as usful, this would be a tool I would have bought years ago - just to be on the save side. since it is the unattractive mess it is I am saving up this purchase for a real emergency.

I only speak for myself, but do you see the difference the UI makes for the software company in this case? )

DataRescue X is almost always bought in just emergencies (unless you are a tech that would use it on a regular basis). Being a programmer myself, I agree whole-heartedly that UI is very important, but since DataRescue is the only program that really gets the job done, they have a bit of slack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules