Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New house - what to put in cabinets with glass doors?

New house - what to put in cabinets with glass doors?
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2008, 03:31 AM

Ok ... I built a new house. Picture here

The new kitchen has cabinets in the corners with glass doors. ( pic ) <-- Look at the cabinet in the rear corners

There is also a set of pass-thru cabinets between the kitchen and family room that also has glass doors. ( pic )

My question is this: What do I put in these cabinets? Obviously not the ugly 20 year old set of coffee mugs.

I was thinking in the pass thru cabinets between the family room and the kitchen I could put some of the better china in there. (Which would empty the buffet in the dining room.) Maybe some nice wine glasses. Another thought: I could also make one or two of those cabinets for the kids baseball trophies. <-- Any thoughts?

What could I put in the two corner cabinets in the kitchen?

.... obviously things I probably should have thought about before putting the glass doors in the house.

I'm sure someone out there has had to ponder this question before.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Atomic Rooster
Jun 8, 2008, 03:46 AM

Of topic.

Your shutters should be white.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 03:55 AM

I hate glass fronted cabinets, it seems so strange to display plates, glasses and ornaments as if they actually mean anything.

A place to display your kids achievements would be practical, and would tally with my strongly held beliefs regarding the contents of display cabinets, I hereby approve you to do this.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2008, 04:46 AM

Where did you get the swords from?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2008, 04:48 AM

I’d get rid of those pass through cabinets, the place would look better without them.

The ones in the kitchen, I’d stick some decorative foodstuffs or spices in there. Something light, garlic, pasta, grains, that kind of thing.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2008, 05:07 AM

Kitchen: Glasses. Anything else looks silly in glass-door cupboards in a kitchen.

Pass-through: Your pr0n collection, obviously.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Of topic.

Your shutters should be white.
Or removed. I hate non functioning shutters. Don't shoot me, that's a personal preference only and I totally respect your right to decorate your house in whatever way you wish.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 07:39 AM

pass through cabinets: for the top shelf; both ends, get an inverted whine glass rack. even if you don't drink/have enough glasses, head the restaurant supply shop for a cheap box of 12; 6 in each cabinet. suspended from there would look sharp. but only have 6 in each top end shelf, they won't be crowded or clink together.

then, random some plate racks with brightly colored non use plates. you know, a box of 8 random colored plates. orange, blue, red, yellow (all x2). face some toward the kitchen. face some toward the dinning.

so that is 10 shelfs (8 for plates, 2 for inverted wine glasses). leaving you 5. those 5 put practical daily use items. but don't stack plates too high if you use plates and if you use glasses, keep them in the short range. this allows maximum light/views to travel between the two rooms.

for the ones in the kitchen corners, as suggested already but with a twist, bright colored containers, the with 1 or 2 fill each shelf. but in the containers, would be several items of practicallity. bags of flour or sugar. secret stash of candy. on the lower shelfs, maybe some every day items.

these splashes of color would make the kitchen more interesting and grab the eyes of friends/family.

and oh, for the TV over the fireplace, get use to stiff necks when sitting in the couch

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Or removed. I hate non functioning shutters. Don't shoot me, that's a personal preference only and I totally respect your right to decorate your house in whatever way you wish.
*not directed toward just this home, but all homes with shutters...

don't really need to be removed, but they needed to be sized correctly. nothing is worse than knowing, with you close them with your mind, they don't cover the window. now obviously, on the 2nd story, that means they would have almost touched between windows. in that case, no shutters.

but on homes where the windows are spaced far enough, make them the correct size.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2008, 07:48 AM

With the wine rack there, I see the counter top and pass thru cabinets as a great beverage entertainment center. Put you wine glasses, highball glasses, beer steins and / or pilsner glasses in there. You might also store your wiskeys and other liquors there. A nice ice bucket would add to this located on the opposite end of the counter. A house should be functional first. You still may have room for trophies or other "conversation" stimulating items also. Think function and work from there while still maintaining appearance.
macforray

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2008, 07:58 AM

Oh, and by the way, I like the green "non functional" shutters. They help "frame" the windows and the color is a pleasant contrast to the red brick. I like the house. It is certainly personal preference, but I am not fond of the darker wood tone of the kitchen. I prefer "light and bright". Again, not being in the house, I cannot tell how one area compliments another, Still, a great looking house.
macforray

climber
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2008, 10:11 AM

Just change the glass to something more opaque. Then you can put anything in them. My favorite is the "seeded" glass. It is very old world/hand made looking. Just carefully measure the current inserts and/or take them out and drop by your local glass store. Most all of these inserts are very easy to pop out and replace.
climber

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2008, 10:45 AM

Your best bottles of Scotch.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

mindwaves
Jun 8, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
Oh, and by the way, I like the green "non functional" shutters. They help "frame" the windows and the color is a pleasant contrast to the red brick. I like the house. It is certainly personal preference, but I am not fond of the darker wood tone of the kitchen. I prefer "light and bright". Again, not being in the house, I cannot tell how one area compliments another, Still, a great looking house.
Seconded. I prefer a contemporary look.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I hate glass fronted cabinets, it seems so strange to display plates, glasses and ornaments as if they actually mean anything.
I added glass fronts to my cabinets. Not to display anything as if it meant something, but for those especially every-day items that guests constantly look for. Cups, plates, bowls, etc. Even guests who have been in your kitchen 100 times will still not remember where things are that they will need. If there was a way to have glass-front drawers that didn't look ridiculous I'd have them too (wait, are there?). Actually, I still find it easier in my own kitchen, to find things when they are already visible.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Also, I always prefer the darker, old-world-craft-looking wood styles over modern super-light woods. Nice looking house you've got there.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2008, 01:29 PM

Jars with medical exhibits.

Heads, fetuses and various body parts in formalin, that sort of thing.

Very decorative, and sure to keep the in-laws away.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jun 8, 2008, 01:59 PM

We have fine china passed down from family in our cabinets... I do like uncle skeleton's statements though...seems practical.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 09:23 PM

That's a lovely looking house, how much did it cost to buy?

andi*pandi
Jun 9, 2008, 01:23 AM

in your dining room put the wineglasses and any large vases. In the kitchen, some glass mixing bowls would be nice, functional, and not cluttery. Or vases.

I'd never put glass doors in the kitchen, doors are for hiding things. Messy things.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 02:19 AM

Beautiful house.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 11:58 AM

Action Figures.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2008, 12:26 PM

Lawn gnomes... with glowing red eyes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:04 PM

A place to display your kids achievements would be practical, and would tally with my strongly held beliefs regarding the contents of display cabinets, I hereby approve you to do this.
Bare with me everyone ... I'm going to go down the list and answer these e-mails. (Sorry that I was away from the thread for a few days ... I have been reading the responses though and am mostly appreciative.)

in short ... right now I'm leaning toward putting some China that we've gotten as gifts or was handed down in some. The wine glass idea is nice to ... but I was also considering hanging the glasses below the pass through cabinet. Now you've given me something to think about here. The pass through is absolutely an entertainment centerpiece and is a nice transition from the kitchen to the great room. (The scotch and whiskey are in the lower cabinets ... )

... more ...
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Where did you get the swords from?
Korea ... but they aren't functional. Just decorative.
(Well, I'm sure I could hurt someone ... but they aren't made for swinging from a horse.)

I thought they looked good there. Even though I'm not even CLOSE to complete with decor. I'll put some more pics on the web-gallery when I finish. Working in another city every week tends to slow things down a bit.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
I’d get rid of those pass through cabinets, the place would look better without them.

The ones in the kitchen, I’d stick some decorative foodstuffs or spices in there. Something light, garlic, pasta, grains, that kind of thing.
Interesting ... so long as it looks neat and not cluttered. I guess the point is to help guests find stuff.

I thought about my coffee mugs but they turned out to be butt ugly. If I get some nicer glass ware then maybe that will work.

As for the passthrough .. it's something I wanted. It didn't come with the house ... I had them custom build that. (Personal preference.) My last house was TOO open. I wanted to go back to some more traditional boundaries without closing off the wall entirely.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Oddly ... I agree with you. Functional shutters weren't an option. Removing them is not an option as it will violate my deed restrictions. (I could apply for approval from the homeowners association, but it will be denied.) If I can ever get a good deal on functional shutters ... or at least ones that APPEAR to be functional then I might swap them out and hope nobody notices.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
pass through cabinets: for the top shelf; both ends, get an inverted whine glass rack. even if you don't drink/have enough glasses, head the restaurant supply shop for a cheap box of 12; 6 in each cabinet. suspended from there would look sharp. but only have 6 in each top end shelf, they won't be crowded or clink together.

then, random some plate racks with brightly colored non use plates. you know, a box of 8 random colored plates. orange, blue, red, yellow (all x2). face some toward the kitchen. face some toward the dinning.

so that is 10 shelfs (8 for plates, 2 for inverted wine glasses). leaving you 5. those 5 put practical daily use items. but don't stack plates too high if you use plates and if you use glasses, keep them in the short range. this allows maximum light/views to travel between the two rooms.

for the ones in the kitchen corners, as suggested already but with a twist, bright colored containers, the with 1 or 2 fill each shelf. but in the containers, would be several items of practicallity. bags of flour or sugar. secret stash of candy. on the lower shelfs, maybe some every day items.

these splashes of color would make the kitchen more interesting and grab the eyes of friends/family.

and oh, for the TV over the fireplace, get use to stiff necks when sitting in the couch
I implied this earlier, but I really like this post. I'm going to print this one out and see what I can find this weekend.

As for the TV ... it's not as bad as it looks. (Although in hind-site I would have avoided the idea of preserving space on the mantle and lowered the TV about 5-6 inches.) Maybe it's not bad because I'm used to watching TV in the pub. :-) Sitting on the sofa though you naturally lean back ... it's sort of relaxing.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I added glass fronts to my cabinets. Not to display anything as if it meant something, but for those especially every-day items that guests constantly look for. Cups, plates, bowls, etc. Even guests who have been in your kitchen 100 times will still not remember where things are that they will need. If there was a way to have glass-front drawers that didn't look ridiculous I'd have them too (wait, are there?). Actually, I still find it easier in my own kitchen, to find things when they are already visible.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Also, I always prefer the darker, old-world-craft-looking wood styles over modern super-light woods. Nice looking house you've got there.
You nailed the practical aspects of it .... yes. The ones with the wood doors are to hide the ugly stuff. :-)

Thanks for the compliment. I too had lighter woods on my former homes. I wanted something a little more traditional this time around. I'm also seeing more and more homes with the darker colors so I might have accidently picked something trendy ... but I don't know. I just wanted something different and classy. There are a lot of things I can do to brighten things up. Once I have a few free days.

To everyone else that offered a compliment. THANK YOU!

I've also read all comments. I'm obviously not going to answer all of them, but I sincerely thank you for taking the time to reply. Anything else is very welcome also.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:22 PM

That's a lovely looking house, how much did it cost to buy?
Not sure how helpful that would be since housing prices vary dramatically in different parts of the country. It was cheaper in Atlanta than if I built it in NY or California. I also took great advantage of the housing crisis so the builder offered some nice incentives. That said: I still spent a bunch ... probably more than I should have. (Being honest). I want this to be my home for the next 20 to 25 years so I built exactly what I wanted. (Shutters not withstanding.) LOL

It's a bit larger than I expected. (This was the first model they ever built like this and the specs weren't exactly set in stone yet.) The Sq. footage is 3900 on 1 and 2 with an extra 1800 sq. feet in the garden basement.(There is NOTHING down there yet) I have some room to grow. The lot is 1/2 acre, but it's landlocked behind me so it's about 3/4 mile before anything back there. (Bad news ... good hiding spot for burglars to break in so I've armed all the rear with alarms.)

Life will get a bit easier when I sell my old house. :-) I'm currently renting it which is nice, but I'd rather have the cash at the moment so I could pay this mortgage down.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules