Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Will PPC-based software will run on new MB Pro?

Will PPC-based software will run on new MB Pro?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2009, 09:51 AM

My PowerBook G4 is getting long-in-tooth and I'm looking to move to 15 or 17in MBPro.
Concern: I've got money to replace the PB, but not to upgrade all my PPC-based software (Dreamweaver MX 4; FileMaker 5, etc.) that are *not* "universal" (PPC/Intel).

Did I hear something about the Snow Leopard (required on new MB Pros) *not* accommodating such now "legacy" versions of software? ...will i need to look at *older models* of MBPros (pre-unibody) that will run Leopard?
( Last edited by Love Calm Quiet; Nov 16, 2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2009, 10:08 AM

Snow Leopard runs Rosetta (PPC emulation) just fine. The only difference is that it's not a default install like it was on Leopard. But even if you don't configure SL to install with Rosetta, whenever it's needed SL will offer to install it on the fly.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2009, 11:44 AM

Simon has answered the question, but just to top things off, here's macintouch's Snow Leopard compatibility list:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Compatibility

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2009, 12:33 PM

Yeah, just go with the standard install of Snow Leopard. The first time you try to run a PPC app, it will automatically download and install Rosetta, after which point you’ll be all set.

It’s actually better to do it this way, because downloading Rosetta will log the download on Apple’s servers, thus letting them know that people are indeed using Rosetta, so Apple doesn’t get any bright ideas about axing it in the next release.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Nov 16, 2009, 01:48 PM

Just as a comment: Apple's choice to not include Rosetta in the default installation might be a nudge to developers that it may not be included in the next release. I'd start saving up for updates to software that is still PowerPC. Or alternatively, if you give us a list, we can suggest alternatives.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 16, 2009, 02:17 PM

As the others have mentioned PPC applications will run using Rosetta but the real issue is whether the applications are compatible with Snow Leopard. Most software companies are only promising full compatibility and support with their latest software. Your older applications may work in Snow Leopard but there maybe a few bugs and issues or they may not work at all. Amazing gave you a link to a compatibility list but you can find other lists if you do a search on the internet.

Whether you are using Mac or Windows, every time you upgrade your OS you might encounter problems with older programs working unless the software companies are providing updates to make them work on the new OS. You did not say what Mac OS you are using? You can go with your plan of getting a used MBP with Leopard if you current have Leopard or get the new MBP and use your PB for those few applications that don't work in Snow Leopard while you save up money to update your applications. As you move forward into the future you are going to have update those applications anyway unless you are planning to never upgrade your computers ever again.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Just as a comment: Apple's choice to not include Rosetta in the default installation might be a nudge to developers that it may not be included in the next release. I'd start saving up for updates to software that is still PowerPC. Or alternatively, if you give us a list, we can suggest alternatives.
It might be. But I'm pretty sure excluding printer drivers wasn't a sign that Apple is going to ax printing support, so then again it might not be.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2009, 02:45 PM

Not including printer drivers saves GBs of space. Not including Rosetta saves 3.5 MB. I think that makes it clear that Rosetta is on its way out.
Vandelay Industries

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Not including printer drivers saves GBs of space. Not including Rosetta saves 3.5 MB. I think that makes it clear that Rosetta is on its way out.
^^^ This.

Apple definitely intended this to be a signal to developers.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
^^^ This.

Apple definitely intended this to be a signal to developers.
"Intended for this to be a signal"? What, is Apple mute and illiterate? If Apple wants to say something, it can say it. If we were to read Apple's signals, we could have concluded years ago that Objective-C would be phased out in favor of Java and Cocoa itself would be made just a client of the official OS X applications framework, Carbon. You can try to read in a thought process behind it, but if Apple has an official message to send, it has channels for doing so.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2009, 03:13 PM

I think it's a signal to end users.
Vandelay Industries

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2009, 06:08 AM

Thanks for all the clarification (and edification), folks. Very reassuring.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules