Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where do you trash your old computer?

Where do you trash your old computer?
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2010, 01:26 PM

So I've never gotten rid of computers before. Usually just store them. But now I want to get rid of the old blue imacs, hard drives, etc..

Do you guys throw these in the trash? Or is that illegal? Where might I recycle them in Houston?

I did a google of this last night and found that best buy will take old computers but charges you $10, and another $10 if you dont take out the hard drive because many places dont take hard drives...

What Im looking for is place I can just drop all this stuff off in houston for free.

For the record if anyone here wants a 150 GB hard drive, firewire wire/usb external case, USB wireless card, you can have em

Rumor
Mar 22, 2010, 01:31 PM

Do the computers work? If so, take out the drives or wipe them really, really well and take it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Also, I'll take the drive, and enclosure. I've been needed one. I'll send you a PM.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 22, 2010, 01:35 PM

I've advertised stuff on the Free Stuff section of my local Craigslist. There's no end to people willing to pick stuff up.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 01:35 PM

Google for Electronics Recycler in your area. There are quite a few places that'll take old computer for free, including CRTs if you have 3 or less.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2010, 03:48 PM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2010, 04:06 PM

I throw them in my closet. Some, that aren't too long in the tooth, I give to friends or relatives that can use them. I know the local county dump will occasionally advertise days to bring in old electronics for proper recycling, but I don't know if they only except such things on certain days, or they just advertise specific days to raise awareness that you shouldn't just throw them in the trash. Call your local waste management/recycling center/dump and ask them what you should do with them, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2010, 04:47 PM

Craigslist, the "free" section. I had two guys demolish and remove an old metal fire escape over the weekend that way.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2010, 09:56 PM

If you buy a new Mac Apple will recycle an old one for free. My dad just got rid of my old 7100/66 for free because I asked apple for the recycling form online and they emailed me the fedex labels in a couple days. I bought my MBP a few months ago too.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 11:30 PM

FWIW, I recently dropped off a gumdrop iMac at a Best Buy. They didn't ask me if it had a hard drive.

They charged $10, but give you a $10 gift card back. That's obviously a scam, but if you need to buy something there, the time you save by having it all taken care of simply may be worth it.

It wasn't for me, but I had already lugged the thing there, so they won that time.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2010, 11:36 PM

I hate recycling electronics. This summer I was trying to get rid of a 27" CRT TV and the lowest price that I could find to actually recycle it was $25! What a ripoff.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 11:42 PM

Here, the city will take TV sets, but won't take working ones.

[gets hatchet]

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2010, 12:09 AM

Pop the back off
insert paper clip
plug it in

or

pop the back off
plug it in
add water

-Q-
Mar 23, 2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Pop the back off
insert paper clip
plug it in

or

pop the back off
plug it in
add water
If you go that route, please post videos.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2010, 12:36 AM

Smash the tube while the TV is on.

Disclaimer; free advice is best taken with a grain of salt.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 23, 2010, 07:45 AM

I donate old computer stuff to Goodwill. I have a pile of old PC motherboards that I'm going to be dropping off shortly with a recycler for the state. I would definitely donate stuff that works though, rather than recycle it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2010, 08:50 AM

many communities offer "amnesty" day(s); usually in the spring, for community members to bring anything and everything...free of charge. concrete, tires, computers, drywall, oil based paints, TVs, etc. anything and everything normal recycling/trash pick up won't take. check our you local and county websites if they have one.

you will need to do all the work yourself and provide ID that says you are from that community. usually held at the town/county recycling center or school (they bring in large trucks).

or, as mentioned, the wipe clean real well the HD(s) and take them to goodwill/salvation army. if they can't find a home, they will have direct contacts/partners for recycling. either way, you won't have to deal with it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 23, 2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
many communities offer "amnesty" day(s); usually in the spring, for community members to bring anything and everything...free of charge. concrete, tires, computers, drywall, oil based paints, TVs, etc. anything and everything normal recycling/trash pick up won't take. check our you local and county websites if they have one.

you will need to do all the work yourself and provide ID that says you are from that community. usually held at the town/county recycling center or school (they bring in large trucks).

or, as mentioned, the wipe clean real well the HD(s) and take them to goodwill/salvation army. if they can't find a home, they will have direct contacts/partners for recycling. either way, you won't have to deal with it.
They have one of those days around here, everybody puts all of their junk out on the curb. Last year I scored a 36" CRT TV, a set of lawn chairs, and an almost brand new grill.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2010, 11:05 AM

If I was giving my computer to a thrift shop, I wouldn't leave it with an empty drive. I would format it, and then re-install the operating system that came on the machine. Most people would just assume that it is broken if the drive was all the way empty, and if they are shopping at the thrift shop for a computer, they probably don't have the $$ to buy a new OS.

andi*pandi
Mar 23, 2010, 12:50 PM

craigslist. I got rid of a barely functioning tv for free in the free postings of craigslist. The guys were very grateful, sent effusive emails even. Maybe they fixed it? I don't know. I was sick of fonzieing it to get it to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules