Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TI Users Share How you Love your TI

TI Users Share How you Love your TI
Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 12:26 PM

I am so sick of the gripe and crap comments that we are now going to have a thread on how great the TI has been. Talk about anything you want about your TI right from when you got it from UPS or a retail store. I want you to tell people on hear that the TI is a great machine and shouldnt be put down by all these crocks.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 12:42 PM

How's this.... I'm getting ready to buy a TiBook. Would I like a 15" AlBook? Sure. Mostly because of concerns over the TiBook paint.

But the TiBook is still one bada$$ machine. If I buy it now, will it be out of date in a couple of months? Depends on your definition of "out of date". If you mean will there be somethig better... then yes. But there will ALWAYS be something better just a couple of months around the corner. If you mean it will be out of date in the sense that it won't do what I need.... then.... WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? In that context, the current TiBook won't be out of date for a couple of years.

Sometimes we're so trapped by the commercial system we live in.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 12:50 PM

I love my TiBook (1Ghz). No paint problem at all on this version (have had it since beginning of december). Only thing I don't like is that the volume sucks, my old Pismo had louder volume than this puppy even if the sound is better on the TiBook.
/Petra

Emeril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 12:55 PM

Love my TiBook 867 (purchased new a few days ago). This is my second TiBook -- it's a very refined product. Couldn't be happier!

Cheers.
- Titanium Powerbook 867Mhz
- 3rd Generation 10GB iPod
- iSight

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 01:04 PM

I'll chime in another bout of love for the Ti...

Best machine I've ever owned. You really can't beat the attention you attract when you bust one of these out in public. Personally, I LOVE the look of the Ti, esp. the black keyboard over metal/cf base. The other thing I like is that since the paint on the Ti is a good bit "darker" than the Aluminum you can make out the glowing Apple logo even better during the daytime.

Aside from looks, it's a BEAST for FCP and the like, as well as all the compiling I can throw at it (Java and ObjC).

Oh yeah, and you've GOT to love the quality of the display. Makes my old iBook it's bitch 10x over. It's not just the size or pixel density, it's the contrast ratio and viewing angle as well. The brightness is also a step above the competition.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 02:56 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the specs on the next 15 aren't compelling (and by that I mean a new processor), I will buy a closeout 1GHz Ti to replace my 667. This is my second-favorite Mac ever (after my Cube ) and I far prefer the looks of the titanium case. Aluminum with ports on the sides? Sorry, that's more Sony than Apple.

A 7457 in the new 15 would get me to switch cases, but a speed-bumped 7455 isn't worth it.

yellow no.5
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2003, 03:19 PM

If my TiBook rocked any harder, it'd have to have a mullet wearing, lead guitar wailing, tight pants sporting, crotch stuffin', lady-killin', Axl Rose screamin', 80s hair band name that would annihilate all others.

That's how much my Ti rocks.

-yno.5
Don't cross the streams.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 03:24 PM

Have had my 1ghz Ti SD for five months now. Totally love it. No paint chipping or any of the other 'scare stories' you hear. Absolutely fantastic. Fast, stable and realiable. Oh, and portable too! After 15 years and numerous other systems, this is by far the best computer I have ever owned. Switching to Mac has been great for me! I get the impression a lot of the winners on here are 15 year old boys who always want the next best thing!

nayr x
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2003, 03:41 PM

I love my 500mhz TiBook. She is 2+ years old but still can turn heads. She has paid for herself fifty times over, and when I think back to all the projects we've done together I get a little vaclempt.... I didn't even realize the ol' girl was getting on in years until having recently begun to visit these message boards more frequently (a lot of people badmouth Tis in general, specificaly rev A machines). But in spite of everyone, I love my computer, and would wager this old girl has crunched more photoshop filters and FCP sequences than most notebooks will ever dream of. While I do sometimes wish she were faster, I am used to her every neuance, and can pridict her every action. I will continue to use her until the next generation G5's are released, and I see justifiable reason to leave her in favor of a younger model. The Ti PBs are, in my opinion, one of the finest examples of what a good computer should be.

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

flanders
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2003, 04:24 PM

My ti500 and ti867 are surely still going strong. no problems at all with either. no heat problems, fan noise, paint chips, nada. thinking now of upgrading to a new 1GhzSD since the prices are so good.

urrl5201
Jul 17, 2003, 04:51 PM

I loved my 667 Ti like my firtborn son. I coddled and loved it so. Then one day panic struck. The cancer began spreading at 8 months. Finally I sent my baby in for cosmetic surgery only to discover the doctor at Apple Hospital botched the operation and my baby came back with a paint scraping misaligned hinge. Oh the dispair of 5 agonizing weeks, consecutively sending it back only to receive it in worse shape; a broken USB, The infamous chocolate smears...more chipping and finally a hideous scratch on the lid. The fifth and last time it came back looking new. Oh joy...

Then Boo-yahhh. I sold it.

I love my 17" aluminum like a firstborn son...I coddle and love it so...

Pangasius  (op)
Jul 17, 2003, 05:22 PM

Wonderful thank you for telling the mac community that one of the best laptops Apple ever made doesn't suck. Hopefully the nimrods from threads named liike "WHY DIDNT I GET A G5 POWERBOOK", "WHENS THE NEXT 15 COMING OUT!" "OH I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE 15TI SUCKS COMPARED TO SOMETHING WE HAVE NO PROOF OF EVER BEING RELEASED"

Will C this thread and stop talking about the next 15. So to sum it up macs never become out of date. My theory of out of date is as follows. If your computer continues to do what you need it to do then its not out of date. I know there are other TI users out there that love there laptops.

y2kerr
Jul 17, 2003, 05:23 PM

I have to say, these posts do help a bit, considering I'm sitting here waiting to buy a 15" PB and have been dissapointed twice in the past month by Apple not updating the 15". It looks like I'll have to get myself a 15" TiBook. It's still a bit disappointing, since there's no way I'll be able to afford a 15" AlBook regardless of what I buy now (it's a grad prasent, so it's a one time thing) when they finally come out, but I'm sure I'll make due with the current TiBooks.

The biggest thing amongst people looking to purchase now, I think, is not that there's something newer faster better coming down the line in the near future -- that's always the case with computers -- but that the newer faster better thing was, according to just about everyone, literally around the corner for the past couple of months. This wasn't the case, but based on past Apple behaviour it was reasonable to believe we'd see something new at the MacWorld shows in June and July.

At any rate, I suppose it's time I ordered that TiBook!

(Just to double check, we're sure the 15" AlBooks aren't coming out next week, right? )

Mike

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 05:29 PM

I can understand why people are b!tching--if I was on the fence, waiting to buy I'd be mighty confused at this point, too. I keep wondering if it is all a cover for Jobs' desire to kill off the 15" entirely, leaving only 17" and 12".

Sounds crazy? Well, Jobs *is* crazy. I can imagine him doing it.

That aside, I'm happy with my TiBook 1Ghz. EIGHT MONTHS of use, never need Bluetooth or AE, nor do I have connection problems with regular Airport. Very nice machine. Just upgraded the HD to an 80GB monster, which is nice.

So I say let people complain--they need to vent, and they need to figure out what to do purchase-wise. I don't envy their position.

Pangasius  (op)
Jul 17, 2003, 05:43 PM

Let me ask you a question. Do you think Apple has time to upgrade the PowerBooks when the are concentrating on the PowerMacs. I mean what was on display at the Apple booth? Also you saw how long it took to release 2 powerbooks. How long do you think it would of took to release 3 brand new designs at the same time?

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 05:59 PM

Are you speaking to me?

Pangasius  (op)
Jul 17, 2003, 06:02 PM

no no I am just making the point that Apple has a lot on there belts right now.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 07:05 PM

Good point pang. But more to the point as regards this thread.

15" Ti Powerbooks Rock. Full Stop!

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2003, 07:27 PM

The tibooks are great, but myself not buying a powerbook for at least another year, I"ll say this..

Who are you kidding? If you blow $2k on a computer right now and KNOW it's going to be outdated in a few weeks with something MUCH better...

ok maybe a month or two.. but still.

you know what you're doing.
Aloha

pete
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 08:16 PM

Just got a superdrive 15.2 inch today. I've had many powerbook G4s and this is the best by far. The first ones suffered from many little things and, the second generation was good and most of the little quirks had been worked out. This is the culmination of a long process of modification. And you can feel it: the fit and finish is superb, the screen is brighter than ever, the heat is less of an issue where it counts (keyboard). It just feels so good.The new 15 Al whenever it's introduced will take some time to get to this level of overall quality. I'd never buy another first gen powerbook after being burned by both the wallstreet and the pb G4 - it's always better to be about a year behind the cutting edge.

These tibooks are truly great now! and NOW is what counts!

Enjoy your tibooks folks! I sure am.

y2kerr
Jul 17, 2003, 08:57 PM

For me the thing with Bluetooth is not about it's value today, but it's value tomorrow. I don't have a cell phone, nor do I plan on getting one in the near future, but I figure I'll get one at some point. It would be nice to be able to sync with my computer without having to worry about connecting an adapter. Still, it's a minor thing.

The fact that the hard drive is upgradable is a definite plus. 60 Gigs is ample space for today, but once again, tomorrow may be another story.

Speaking of upgrades, what else can be upgraded on the 15" TiBook? I've heard people talking about upgrading their Pismos. Are they upgrading the processors on older versions of PowerBooks? It would be nice to think I could upgrade to a 1.x or 2.x Ghz processor in a year or two. Is this likely?

Some people might just go out and buy a whole new computer, but once I have this machine, I'll have it for a while, and it'll be upgrades to components rather than upgrades by purchasing a whole new machine as far into the future as I can see.

(Especially when I buy an iPod too and really break the bank!)

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 11:13 PM

You can upgrade RAM and HD on a TiBook, and that is all--everything else is soldered to the motherboard.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 07:52 AM

My TiBook 500Mhz, 512MB Ram, w/Airport has been a great system. I bought if for $500 and already got my monies worth in the 7 months I've had it. It's scratched pretty bad, has the keyboard marks on the screen but works like a champ. It still turns heads, and when I tell them it came out 2.5 years ago they can't beleive it.

It's tieing me over till Motoslowa finishes their new chips and Apple slaps them in all three models (then decision time).

ShadowKatana
Jul 18, 2003, 08:15 AM

I have always wanted to say this and I think that this is as good a time as any - the Pismo's form factor is my favourite of all the Mac luggable/notebooks/laptops. I have a Ti 800 DVI which I totally adore. The screen is exquisite and the whole machine is thin. And that is where the problem lies. I would like to be able to treat my laptop with the same level of care as any appliance. One of these days, I am afraid that that LCD screens is going to have a crack down the middle.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2003, 08:32 AM

The greatest thing abotu the ti is smacking a PC zealot in the face with it ^_^

"oooh titanium!"
Aloha

todrain
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 09:04 AM

I plan on getting a G5 PowerBook when they are out in 2 years or so, so missing the first AL 15" is no big deal. I don't own any bluetooth devices, and since broadband internet is already at top speed on the first Airport, there really isn't any big advantage for me. (and after three years with iBooks, I can say that I rather like the ports on the back, thank you!) While I'm not sure that it will replace the PowerBook 180 at the top of my list of Apple Products, it's working it's way up there!

nayr x
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 09:35 AM

For me the thing with Bluetooth is not about it's value today, but it's value tomorrow. I don't have a cell phone, nor do I plan on getting one in the near future, but I figure I'll get one at some point. It would be nice to be able to sync with my computer without having to worry about connecting an adapter.
I don't have a bluetooth pone either, I have a sony ericsson T300, and while it does not have a syncable phone book, I can still transfer files to and from it via the IR ports on it and my Tibook. I would assume future phones will continue to have IR ports, so you can probably still sync w/ your comp. There's always a work around!

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 11:40 AM

I would love to share that with you, but then I would have to rate my post [PARENTAL ADVISORY] [MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY]. In other words, if you read what on my TiBook's HD or my mind, you will all go blind.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz ļæ½ 1Gb ļæ½ 60Gb ļæ½ SD

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by NAYR X:
I don't have a bluetooth pone either, I have a sony ericsson T300, and while it does not have a syncable phone book, I can still transfer files to and from it via the IR ports on it and my Tibook. I would assume future phones will continue to have IR ports, so you can probably still sync w/ your comp. There's always a work around!
TiBooks don't have a built-in IR port, so you would need an IR adapter still. I don't see the convinience there. Anyways, I don't sync my phone to my TiBook ... not until Nokia and Apple become good friends and agree on some standards.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz ļæ½ 1Gb ļæ½ 60Gb ļæ½ SD

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by NAYR X:
There's an IR port on the Ti? WHERE!?

Thanks,
Alex

-----

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 12:02 PM

I think up to the pre DVI 667 there was an IR port. My 500 has one on the rear right (if looking at the rear).

jimcpherson
Jul 18, 2003, 12:29 PM

I was waiting expectantly over the past few weeks for a 15" upgrade. I've been using the TiBook 800mhz, but I needed a new computer for work. With my hand forced by having no new updates at this week's Macworld I went ahead and got the 1ghz TiBook. Now, I've always been super-happy with my 800mhz model, but, I already notice a difference in speed/performace between the new machines. The TiBook is such a great value, plus now I have a SuperDrive! I can say nothing bad about these machines. So what if the F***ing keyboard doesn't glow.

PS. I cloned my old system to my new system using Carbon Copy Cloner. What an amazing piece of software. Took two minutes to set up, about an hour to transfer 20GB of files. One restart, and my new computer was running just like my old one. Saved me hours.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
I think up to the pre DVI 667 there was an IR port. My 500 has one on the rear right (if looking at the rear).
Hehe...

It is definitely NOT there on my TiSD....

Good thing I have absolutely no use for one.
Alex

-----

schmoe
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 01:32 PM

My rev. b 667 had the IR port too, last model to do so. I'm a bit disappointed Apple removed it, all PDAs and many phones have IR and Bluetooth won't be ubiquitous for a while yet, if ever. Not a must have, but definitely nice.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 02:11 PM

The keyboard doesnt leave marks on the screen anymore does it?

todrain
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 02:29 PM

Yes, it does somewhat... I bought the Powerbook sleve thing from AcmeMade, and use it when I travel.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 02:32 PM

Explain to me what the problem is I dont really understand it. That kind of sucks. Do you got a link for the sleeve? Good thing I asked because all these specail offers made me just want to get a 1ghz TIbook

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
Explain to me what the problem is I dont really understand it. That kind of sucks. Do you got a link for the sleeve? Good thing I asked because all these specail offers made me just want to get a 1ghz TIbook
When you close the lid, oil from your fingers that has collected on the keyboard can sometimes rub off on the screen, leaving slight marks that are easily wiped off.

The newer model Ti's have two little rubber feet that (mostly) prevent this. However, grabbing the machine by the middle hard can cause the screen to flex just enough to still cause this on occasion.

Honestly though, I NEVER notice it. I tend to wipe my screen down every couple of days anyways, and it just never has even really shown up for me.

Dr. Botts (I believe it's them) sells some additional rubberized feet that you can put around the screen edges to offer even more protection.

If you're really concerned, as a previous poster stated, get a screen cover. It's probably a good idea anyways just to protect your LCD, and they're a sinch to slip on when you throw your Ti in it's bag/storage place.
Alex

-----

Gorby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 03:14 PM

I sat on the fence for a bit and when the price dropped recently I ran and grabbed the 1G Ti, coming from a PC background I love it, the only thing I would change would be the one button mouse/trackpad, other than that, best laptop I ever bought.

Simple but powerful. When my PC desktop becomes long in the tooth, Apple may get the money with the G5 as replacement.

Bottom line, is that whatever you buy is out of date the next day, you can wait til the cows come home and still never have the hottest machine. Moores law says it all.

Cheers

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 03:22 PM

This is my first laptop so im sorry but where could I find a screen cover hehe. I have used apple desktops for the longest time. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a TI and I will order a cover in addition.

dabigdawg
Jul 18, 2003, 03:38 PM

I have had mine since March and luv it- quickly talked a friend into getting one as well, I originally started with mac IIsi and in the nineties switched to PC's for playing games and developing, Mac's at that time for me were not so grand, then came OS X <horns sound lights shine> and I was sold, bought a G4 desktop and have not gone back since now I have found true luv with a Ti 1ghz with a gig of ram...oh so sweet with his ever loving big brother "yikes" G4/350 PCI, yes PCI he can still keep up with most things, but of course his lil' brother can run circles round him as it should be and the soon to be adoption of a G5 will make a perfect trio
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

zoomnmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 03:42 PM

I'll be getting my 1Ghz baby on 7/22. I'm looking forward to owning
such a sweet machine. I know it will serve me well for years.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
This is my first laptop so im sorry but where could I find a screen cover hehe. I have used apple desktops for the longest time. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a TI and I will order a cover in addition.
http://www.acmemade.com/powerbook.html

Those seem to be the ones people like the best.

I don't have one personally, as I said the screen marks have never really shown up enough for me to even consider it... but they ARE attractive and well made, so if you're getting a cover I'd definitely suggest them.
Alex

-----

todrain
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 10:37 PM

The Screen marks are REALLY hard to notice, but since my PowerBook does spend a lot of time in transit, I wanted the cover.

This minor problem is certainly no reason not to buy a TI!

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2003, 06:32 AM

I only got my PowerBook a little over a month ago (17th of last month) and I am totally loving it. I was a bit scared at first because of all the negativism surrounding the TiBook, but it's better than I could ever have imagined. My only gripes are the lack of wireless connectivity with peripherals (no IrDA or Bluetooth... Apple was a bit too early with abandoning IrDA imho), and the slower speed of the Combo drive compared to the new PowerBooks (even the 12"). Other than that, Airport is fast enough for me and reception is acceptable (I use IP over FireWire when I need to transfer huge files anyway), the hinge has been working great for me and the paint isn't flaking off (despite the long times of heavy CPU usage which tend to heat the machine up a lot, especially near the back). Also there isn't a single dead pixel yet Seriously, despite the little flaws, I totally love this 'book, and wouldn't want to trade it for any of the aluminium ones. I think it looks a lot better too
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

gwright
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2003, 07:55 PM

I realise this is a thread dedicated to saying how good the Ti is, but I feel it would not be out of place to mention my (numerous) problems, and give the solutions I used to each one:

The screen was scratched to bits by my keyboard. I don't know why it happened, but it did, and so I purchased a ScreenSaverz and a packet of WildEepz from radtech.us, and the problem sorted itself.

The titanium casing (the darker grey) scratches _very_ easily. To fix this, I bought a PowerSleevz from radtech (funky names eh?).

Battery was dead after a year - no real solution, but good battery care should help in this situation; avoid too many recharge cycles, calibrate the battery regularly (like, monthly or so), and if possible don't have the battery in the computer when using it.

Paint bubbling all over bezel - no real solution. I got mine repaired under warranty, and I think the new bezel is better quality than the old one, so I think they fixed it with later revisions (I'm pretty certain the problems were limited to a batch around September-December 2001). I always take my watch off when using the computer now though.

CD/DVD drive doesn't work properly - I don't have any idea why it suddenly decided it didn't like playing DVDs too well, but use common sense - don't blow dirt inside, etc etc and it *should* be fine, although I have no guarantees (as I say, I have no idea why mine failed).

On a bad note, though, if it does go into repair and you are in the UK, then the average time out of my numerous repair trips was about 3 weeks per repair, and they always managed to trash something else when it was in for repair.

I hope this has been useful,

George

Originally posted by Pangasius:
I am so sick of the gripe and crap comments that we are now going to have a thread on how great the TI has been. Talk about anything you want about your TI right from when you got it from UPS or a retail store. I want you to tell people on hear that the TI is a great machine and shouldnt be put down by all these crocks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules