Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I thought Canadians had it bad...[rant]

I thought Canadians had it bad...[rant]
Aiglos
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 03:08 PM

Bored out of my wits i decided to browse the Apple store (Canadian version) to look at their powerbooks. I plan on starting my Master's degree in chemistry next year and I was contemplating on getting a portable. I've got a feeling that i'll be spending more time on campus than at home, plus our lab has only a limited number of comps (1 now, 2 later next month) and i don't feel like using the undergrad labs.

The first thing that struck me wasn't the specs or the impressive enclosure, but the price. I was at awe and felt like Canadians always get the short end of the stick when it comes to price conversions. American, a 15" PowerBook was $1999 while a Canadian equivalent was $2849.

Then for fun, i went to the Australian website to see how their situation was. From this link it looks like the Canadian dollar was comparable to the Australian's. Around 1:1.1 (CAD:AUD), so i thought it should be similar to the Canadian pricing. I was shocked to see a $3800 15 incher. After seeing the price i felt a little better of my situation but now felt sorry for the australians. Are there any Australians here? How do you feel about the price differences?

I wouldn't be so uptight about the price presently as I can easily afford the 17 incher right now. BUT, i'm planning a trip to the UK next year and I'm thinking of moving out on my own in a year and a half so I can't just blow $3000-4000 Canadian.

In the end I'll probably end up getting a mid-ranged PowerBook but I just wished Apple took the concerns of its international consumers since I can get a comparable Wintel portable for less here in Ottawa.

<Sigh> One day I'll know what it's light to have a PowerBook.

End of Rant

Aeglos

marumari
Sep 14, 2003, 03:38 PM

Well, consider that, at the current currency conversion rates:

$2849 CAD = $2,087.25 USD (so, Canadians pay $88.25 more, not too bad)

Furthermore,

$3800 AUD = $2,521.50 USA (a quite bigger difference of $522.50)

Still, I'd imagine that
1) The Australian market is considerable smaller than the US/Canada market, and
2) Australia has some sort of VAT tax (I think 10%?) So, that accounts for a good chunk of the difference)

Clarkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 03:56 PM

Before you go Waco on the Loonie (hehe!) you should look into buying your Apple product through your school -- I can get the 15" PowerBook (base model) for $2540 (that's $1814 US) plus tax.

Aiglos  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Clarkey:
Before you go Waco on the Loonie (hehe!) you should look into buying your Apple product through your school -- I can get the 15" PowerBook (base model) for $2540 (that's $1814 US) plus tax.

Really? I should check out our computer store, but because it's located inside our Bookstore, I have a feeling I'll be ripped off by them and end up paying more. But i'll take them into consideration since they like showing off their mac stuff in a predominately PC University.

But yah, for a 15" PowerBook 2540 sounds sweet. I think I've been looking at the wrong places...

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by marumari:
Well, consider that, at the current currency conversion rates:

$2849 CAD = $2,087.25 USD (so, Canadians pay $88.25 more, not too bad)

Furthermore,

$3800 AUD = $2,521.50 USA (a quite bigger difference of $522.50)

Still, I'd imagine that
1) The Australian market is considerable smaller than the US/Canada market, and
2) Australia has some sort of VAT tax (I think 10%?) So, that accounts for a good chunk of the difference)
The base model of the 15" costs �2378.81 here in holland
That's like $2669.51 so what is everybody bitching about? I have to pay it out of my part time salary and i have to pay for school myself.

The 15" base model is even cheaper in the UK that here in holland.
$2545.44 which is $124.07 cheaper then just across the north sea