Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Loud Tibook fans-FIXED!!

Loud Tibook fans-FIXED!!
wildcard
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 03:10 PM

Hi folks:

I found the fix for those Tibook 867 and 1 Ghz models that had huge amounts of fan noise regardless of what OS they are using.

The issue seems to be the type of fan mounted on the logic board, for either the CPU fan, or (more commonly) the power supply fan. Apple seems to be using two different types of fans-a Sunon fan (identified by the metal fan shroud) and a Superred fan (has a plastic shroud). The Superred fans are the source of the noise. Replacing this fan with a Sunon fan WILL fix your problem

PowerbookMedic carries these fans the cheapest-only $15 USD with shipping included.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by wildcard:
Hi folks:

I found the fix for those Tibook 867 and 1 Ghz models that had huge amounts of fan noise regardless of what OS they are using.

The issue seems to be the type of fan mounted on the logic board, for either the CPU fan, or (more commonly) the power supply fan. Apple seems to be using two different types of fans-a Sunon fan (identified by the metal fan shroud) and a Superred fan (has a plastic shroud). The Superred fans are the source of the noise. Replacing this fan with a Sunon fan WILL fix your problem

PowerbookMedic carries these fans the cheapest-only $15 USD with shipping included.
If I had known that a year ago, I probably would still be using a 15" TiBook, rather than blowing more $ on a 17" PB. How did you figure that out?

wildcard  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 04:58 PM

Trial and error, and a PDF of a take-apart guide. The annoying fan noise stopped when I unplugged the power supply fan. I also noticed that the CPU fan underneath the F6 key didn't make nearly as much noise (that's the Sunon fan). I looked around at PC CPU fan reviews and noted that SuperRed fans (that's the mfg. of the power supply fan) consistently scored louder on db ratings. So, I went to Powerbookmedic.com and ordered a new fan. It arrived today, and it was a Sunon fan. I'm willing to bet that Apple used the Superred fans on the 867/1Ghz lines, probably due to changing suppliers or cutting costs or something. I'll be looking at a friend's Tibook/800 to confirm what fans he has-I'm betting it's 2 Sunons.

Burke
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 09:26 PM

In my experience with building custom PCs, Sunons are usually good CFM-to-noise ratio fans, especially the lower RPM ones...so your findings are not surprising to me. I've dealt with dozens of fan types from an equal number of manufacturers, but I've never heard of "SuperRed." That tells me something right away. Good investigative work!

bamchum
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 07:54 AM

Jeez that is good sleuthing.

I also would probably still be using my TiBook if I had known that.

As it is, I've just sent it in (I'm planning to sell it now that I've got an AlBook) to have the fan noise fixed. It had two fans, each of which sounded like a jet engine. Hopefully, the AppleCare people are smart enough to know that if I'm complaining about the noise, they should put the Sunon fans in. Somehow I doubt they know, though. I'll have to take a look at the fans once I get it back and I'll let you know.

Dr.Michael
Feb 6, 2004, 08:24 AM

Great job. Congratulations.

I remember many sleepless nights when my TiBook was decoding DVD into VCD :o).

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 10:09 AM

Let me know if I undestood:

Open my TiBook from the back...or under the keyboard?

Then located the power supply fan....on what side (I imagine is the right side cause the power hooks up there)

Then look if it is plastic or metalic.....

Is is metalic...buy a new fan (plastic) form that place you say...

Is this the fan???

http://powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/cus...34dba64ccc83ef

Is the instalation esay...for an amature in openig his TiBook?

My only experince opening my TiBook was to install the Airport card....and it was a pain geting the case to line up right.

Thanks.
( Last edited by jorgem4; Feb 6, 2004 at 10:15 AM. )

wildcard  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 06:33 PM

Jorgem4's post has the link to the correct fan.

To see the power supply fan, you need to flip the Powerbook over and take out the 7 screws on the bottom (see your Powerbook G4's owner's manual). The fan in question should be right by the AC adapter jack.

If your fan is in a plastic/black box, you probably have a Superred fan (should be a sticker ON the fan)

If your fan is in a metal/silver box, you have a Sunon fan-the Sunon is the fan pictured in Jorgem4's link.

Actually swapping out the fan does require REMOVING THE LOGIC BOARD to get to, so I would not recommend removing it unless you're comfortable with working inside PC's, voiding your warranty, etc. In the case of you not feeling comfortable, I would *highly* recommended purchasing a Sunon fan and taking the Powerbook to a local Apple repairer and having them swap the fan for you.

I'd like to point out the standard-disclaimer stuff here, namely that Macnn, the owners of any takeapart guides, or myself are not responsible for any problems resulting from trying to replace the fan yourself.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 10:07 PM

Got the TiBook back. After keeping it 11 days, they did nothing and claim it is within spec (took them 11 days to figure it out! )

This machine is loud as hell. It's on its third logic board/set of fans. The first was loud, the second was quiet, this one is the loudest yet. But they claim it's "normal."

I looked at the fan (the one I can see by lifting the keyboard) and it's in a metal casing. But even though it's one of the "good" ones, I can tell you that it's very loud and comes on all the time.

I'm selling this machine since I've now got a dead-quiet AlBook. I was trying to do the right thing and have the fans on the TiBook fixed before I sold it. But Apple says it's in spec and there's nothing more I can do about it. I certainly can't afford to eat the loss so. . . .

caveat emptor.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 04:09 AM

When I had problems with my constant running fans (they never turned off - ever) Apple replaced not only the logic board but also the DC-IN card. Maybe there's a hint there? Now my fans are only coming on when I work with tough Apps like Photoshop etc and they settle once the work is done.
/Petra

Sir T Mann Esq.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2004, 10:43 AM

Having used my 1GHz TiBook for over a year now, I can safely say that its loud power supply fan is the only part of it which has annoyed me. Naturally, I am seriously considering following your instructions to replace this almost constantly-whirring fan.

However, I think I'll wait until other (much braver) TiBook users have had a go at performing the modification. Be sure to post here with your results!

Sir T Mann esq,
(OBE, PhD, MA)

drHo
Feb 7, 2004, 01:32 PM

will this "fan-swap" work on the older Tibook 550's? thats what i have ....
" pc's feel cheap like a dirty whore..."

Agazzie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2004, 09:45 AM

Is it difficult to change the old fan to the new? (PB G4 867 15")
Do not do anything today, which
someone else can do tomorrow..

Dr.Michael
Jan 9, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by wildcard
I'll be looking at a friend's Tibook/800 to confirm what fans he has-I'm betting it's 2 Sunons.
I revive this old thread because I just bought a 1Ghz Tibook to replace my 12 inch/1Ghz alubook (I stopped traveling and want a larger screen).

The Tibook has indeed a noise problem. Wildcard, you had this great idea to replace the fans. Did you have a look into your friends 800 MHz Tibook? Would be interesting to know and get a confirmation before I get a new fan myself and disassemble the machine.

Can you tell your experiences with the replacement and give the sunon part number?
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Jan 9, 2006 at 12:16 PM. )

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2006, 02:40 PM

During the two years I owned it, I thought that my TiBook 800 was a little bit loud but very reasonable. After upgrading to the incredibly quiet 1.5 GHz AlBook I realized I was wrong all along and I can't believe that I ever got along with the TiBook noise. In casual use, the TiBook was OK but as soon as I started doing anything CPU intensive (Illustrator, games, etc.) the fan kicked in and the keyboard got very warm. The AlBook has allowed me to finally do my work in peace! Not to mention making gaming feasible again.

Dr.Michael
Jan 10, 2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by crouchingtiger
During the two years I owned it, I thought that my TiBook 800 was a little bit loud but very reasonable. After upgrading to the incredibly quiet 1.5 GHz AlBook I realized I was wrong all along and I can't believe that I ever got along with the TiBook noise. In casual use, the TiBook was OK but as soon as I started doing anything CPU intensive (Illustrator, games, etc.) the fan kicked in and the keyboard got very warm. The AlBook has allowed me to finally do my work in peace! Not to mention making gaming feasible again.
I know that the Alubooks are quieter compared to the Tibooks. But I wanted a large screen and I don't like the 15 and 17 inch Alubooks. Too bulky compared to the Ti.

In the meantime I have opened my Ti and found out that I have two Sunon fans build in. They are not really quiet. But - the good news - they are standard size, standard mounted notebook fans and thus it should be possible to find the quietest available fans of the same size and specs and make the Tibook a really quiet computer.

Has anyone done this before? Experiences?

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
I know that the Alubooks are quieter compared to the Tibooks. But I wanted a large screen and I don't like the 15 and 17 inch Alubooks. Too bulky compared to the Ti.

In the meantime I have opened my Ti and found out that I have two Sunon fans build in. They are not really quiet. But - the good news - they are standard size, standard mounted notebook fans and thus it should be possible to find the quietest available fans of the same size and specs and make the Tibook a really quiet computer.

Has anyone done this before? Experiences?
Haven't done it, but pbfixit.com should have take apart directions that are relevant. I think it is a fairly difficult job....

Forum Links
Forum Rules